So what hardware do you use with Rack?

I’m really interested in all these expressivity focused keyboards, that’s one of the main reasons why i want a Microfreak, aside from the synthesis and modulation, it also makes a superb midi controller with polyphonic aftertouch :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Wow, the sensel morph looks incredible, and you can even make your own controller!

2 Likes

Hey just came across you on YT what a small world eh? You have a couple of nice VCV Rack patches on your channel.

So what hardware do I use. Arturia Beatstep Pro, Roli Seaboard Block, Moog Mother 32 (x2), Make Noise Maths, Expert Sleepers Disting MK4, 2hp Pluck. I try to mix as much hardware with the software as I can. Sometimes I control elements of VCV Rack with the hardware and sometimes the hardware plays alongside VCV Rack.

2 Likes

Thank you so much :blush:

oh that sounds nice ! I always wandered how it would sound with rack. Does it work ''out of the box ‘’ or do you need to spend time configuring things ?

Btw, subbed to your channel too :wink: Lot of good stuff going on on your one too ! I’ll try to check more of your videos as soon as i have the time to :smile:

Thanks Olival much appreciated will return the favour.

1 Like

Hi Olival, sorry for delayed reply. Roli is a bit of a beast to connect up to be honest. Bluetooth does not work as VCV cannot see it. USB in and it can but was limited what you could do until MPE full support in v1.0. But, as with most things I have so much to look at that not yet had a chance to sue the Roli with v1.0. But should work and I will attempt that soon. Would be great to have the expressiveness of the Roli in VCV.

1 Like

No problem my friend :smile: Thanks ! I hope you will have fun ! Yes expressivity can really change everything . I really like that with using the microfreak either as a sound source, or just as a controller :slight_smile:

Your Microfreak looks and sounds awesome I am very tempted. Strange, but looking around I cannot find anything on MPE and VCV Rack at the moment?

1 Like

yes, i think there are not many ressources yet… and since microfreak works with aftertouch i don’t know much about MPE myself…

Who knows, maybe someday Roli will send a Seaboard to @Omri_Cohen and we will have a big tutorial on MPE haha !

3 Likes

Now that would be truly awesome.

1 Like

I listened some yours tracks, awesome :pray:t5:

1 Like

Hey, thanks so much!

1 Like

I use a Motif XS8 together with VCV Rack. The XS (also the XF) has a 16-out/6-in firewire audio interface built in. This allows me to do some interesting routing using the Motif’s 16-part multi-timbral synth engine, routing different sounds on different virtual cables into VCV Rack, as well as using it for outboard send/return and insert effects on sounds generated from VCV. It also serves as an interface for two momentary pedals (one on sustain, one assignable) and an FC7 sweep pedal, which in combination with the Motif’s 8 knobs and sliders gives a lot of potential for parameter control.

I’ve also really enjoyed using VCV to trigger the XS’s engine on all 16 midi channels. Here I’m using 18 instances of Marbles: 10 for triggering notes, 7 for modulating effects on every channel of the XS via CV-CC, and 1 more for modulating an instance of Clouds which is processing all of the sound coming from the Motif into VCV Rack.

It can sound beautiful or terrifying depending on the array of 16 sounds I have set up on the Motif! In the first case it’s 16 pianos, each with individually staggered panning, cutoff, and reverb settings. In the second case it’s 16 different samples from the Super Nintendo game Earthbound.

Yamaha’s more modern Montage works the same way except it’s got 32 channels of audio output (hello stoermelder Audio-64), a Nice Big Knob (number 9), all the knobs are endless encoders rather than pots, as well as the availability of the FM-X engine for using instead of, or in tandem with, the Motif sample engine.

I’ve also got a pre-order for an Osmose from Expressive E. I’m very excited to explore using it in combination with “MIDI Poly+MPE” from the moDllz plugin, which supports Haken Audio’s MPE+ which will be used by the Osmose.

6 Likes

I have seen Osmose, it looks phenomenal :heart_eyes: nowadays I have other things running thru my mind, but videos really impressed me

2 Likes

I’ve just started using Commodore 64 with VCV rack! I’m developing a module for doing it: SidEx

4 Likes

i have a c64 with mssiah that i havent used in awhile. this project could get me to dust it off. will SidEX run on osx?

@persy Unfortunately, AFAIK, mssiah cannot be used as a generic MIDI device. It contains its own software and can only be used with it.

I cannot say anything about osx support, that’s a good question. I’m developing sidex on linux and won’t be easily able to compile it for other operating systems. I’m a beginner with Rack. How do others publish their modules to different operating systems?

But I don’t see why compilation should be an issue on any platform supported by Rack, I’m not using any extra dependencies.

@wipu you are probably right about mssiah integration. i wrote that without fully understanding what your module does. interesting project. im curious to hear some examples.

regarding compiling for other OS’s i think you can just request help and see if anyone is willing.

1 Like