So what hardware do you use with Rack?

hello guys,

Whats your Favourite Hardware to use with vcv rack?

can u share your go to hardware?

1 Like

First you need something to send signals (including CV) between VCV and the harware and for that you need a DC Coupled interface - best option there is Expert Sleepers - ES-9 or ES-8 and/or ES-3/6

Then personally I like to use VCV mainly for clock, sequencing, logic, modulation and mixing and use (mostly) analog hardware focussed on generating or processing sound - VCOs, filters, LPGs, wave folders and FX units.

I think you get the best of both worlds that way. Of course Iā€™ll still sometimes use VCOs and filters in VCV and hardware sequencers etc but that general principle is how I approach it.

Hardware controllers are also very useful with VCV - check out the new Keystep Pro for instance or knob based midi controllers like Midi Fighter Twister.

4 Likes

Expert Sleepers ES-8 and ES-6 (10 inputs!) and expanded Pamelaā€™s New Workout as the master clock to sync Rack with the hardware (Eurorack, Midi and Din-Sync gear).

Works flawlessly with VCV Rack. Canā€™t say the same for DAW software with the same approach.

2 Likes

Cheers Olival for moving here! didnt see this post! more opinions :slight_smile:

1 Like

NI KK A61, NI Komplete Audio 2, and Novation LaunchKontrol XL. I would like to buy Midilar in the near futureā€¦

1 Like

No problem ! having everything at the same place will make it easier for newcomers trying to invest on new gear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@janne808 - when Iā€™m using DAW + VCV + Hardware together I make the DAW the master and send clock from there (using CV tools or Silent Way) to both VCV (into Clocked as slave) and Eurorack (into PNW as slave). Works well.

RME Raydat PCIe with

• 16 channels of I/O to a 168HP Eurorack via Expert Sleepers ES-3, ES-6 and ES-7 (all x2)
  • 16 channels of I/O to an analogue desk, analog multitrack (currently Tascam 688), analog master recorder (currently Revox B77) and outboard
  • 4 channels of I/O to monitoring

Various MIDI and OSC controllers (currently Seaboard Block, PC1600X, Launchpad Mini, iPad, Circuit Mono Station)

Basically I use a Keystep and a Beatstep Pro (which is fantastic to use with VcvRack).

The finest piece of hardware I have is the Ribbon Controller by Doepfer. with SAIL I have a ~500mm fader for every knob :sunglasses:

I have an es-9, a MFOS MiniSynth, a MiniBrute and a Studiologic Sledge, which can be used as a super midi controller (5 octaves with aftertouch and a lot of knobs to be mappedā€¦)

and last but not least, this is my rack (case only for the first row, at the moment)

I would like to have another Ribbon Controller and a Joystick, but they are quite expensiveā€¦soā€¦

1 Like

100% with you. After trying many different approaches, i can say the 3 rows with as max zoom as possible, is the best compromise between flexibility and ease of use. Main benefits for me are:

• i can view all modules effortlessly (reducing strain on the eyes);
  • limited space forces me to get creative.

Regarding small versions of modules, iā€™d also like to see something like this.

If you have an old Joystick or Gamepad lying around you could use Rejoice (only Windows afaik) to use it as midi controller. It is not seroius business, but can be fun. You can get it at archive.org:https://web.archive.org/web/20160307164529/http://raritiesvault.net/bcd3000/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19 Not sure if it is working on Windows 10 though.

1 Like

I have built custom MIDI device with Arduino Pro Micro, 2 XY pads from Nintendo Resistive Touch Panels and XY Joystick from gamepad.

Also experimented with computer mouse sensor but got poor results because tiny sensing area.
Will try to use Ultrasonic sensor like theremin instrument.
And just got idea to use sticks from old scanners like Ribbon Controller

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I feel like this is a stupid question but I simply canā€™t figure it out at the moment ā€¦ I want to use my keyboards (and acoustic piano) with VCV. Iā€™m struggling to find out how to route the audio from my interface into VCV.

Do I need to link it with Logic Pro X to do this? If so, how (Bridge plugin? Something else?)? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi and welcome :slight_smile: you should be able to choose your audio interface in the Audio module in Vcv, Then from the inputs of the Audio Module you will be able to get the sound from your interface.

Let me know how it goes ! (Btw good choice, Piano and VCV go very well together :heart:)

1 Like

Yes, I remember using an old joystick as a midi controller with an old win7 pc, I canā€™t remember if it was the same program, but I know I can. unfortunately the movement was not gradual, letā€™s say that UP was ON/OFFā€¦and thatā€™s it :beers:

just ordered a Micro Freak, Iā€™ll use it pair up with VCV Rack :slight_smile: with Beatstep Pro too

3 Likes

Finally a Case arrived to hold some modules. Iā€™ll just name some favorites:

• 2x Pressure points run by Brains
  • 0-coast (standalone)
  • MFB Digital Delay
  • Frames (DIY, second hand, fixed it, runs smoothly)
  • Plaits
  • Doepfer ring modulator and VCDLFO

There is still some modules I want to get and time will allow me to purchase them. Thanks to vcv a lot of the original Mutable instruments Modules can be virtually paired. Lucky for me - a long weekend is approaching so much fun in trying everything out! Also curious how the scarlett interface will perform now, it worked well with the 0-coast already.

2 Likes

faderfox pc12 + sensel morph :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Korg nanoKontrol2 mapped to MindMeld Mix Master is perfect. 8 channel control of faders, pan pots, solo and mute for just $43AUD from ebay.

1 Like