sequence a particular step in a sequence

I dont have so much experience from swing, only from a Behringer Crave and Beatstep Pro, and my impression from those are that swing is not very musically pleasing, i was hoping in order to modulate the clock to get some pleasing rythm variations.

For Instance “Clocked” ( see pick above)

=) sorry i didnt understand. I will be better I promise :laughing:

did anybody think of why it is so much harder to make a pleasing change to a rythm of a sequence than to change the pitch of a step. As long as you work in a scale to change the pitch within a scale is like, infinite music, but with the rythm it is much harder to make pleasing transitions, why is that and how can we overcome it?

To me modulating the Clock is not very pleasing but you can put an lfo on the bpm if you want)

Or try this Ratcheting and swing and a kick to keep it grounded)

Ratchet swing.vcvs (16.1 KB)

Or this :

Ratchet swing2.vcvs (18.1 KB)

1 Like

Ill start with the LFO, somehow i have been thinking of LFOs for this also since i saw the clep diaz video with Rick;

Most Underrated LFO Module // Clep Diaz Overview (youtube.com)

also this patch makes a succesfull attempt Quick Tip: Rhythmic Pattern With A Eurorack Sequential Switch Tutorial (youtube.com)

but they are using mutiple voices and i want to stay with 1 voice at this stage because i want to maximize the potential of 1 voice , as they do here from 1:27 VARIGATE 8+ | VOLTAGE BLOCK | BASIMILUS ITERITAS ALTER (youtube.com)

As long as you are having fun experimenting you’re doing something right :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

i think this is the way,

Quick Tip: Kick Drum Eurorack Modular Synthesizer Patch Tutorial (youtube.com)

Malekko Varigate 4+ is controlling the rythm, is this a sequencer that is used as en envelope generator …?

the LFO that i tried, the curve since it is cyclical still (repeating) it does not create much variation with this one that i had

some but not much as in the varigate+4 example.

Hmm, you have a gate sequencer there … :smiley: :smiley:

As long as you understand what the Varigate is doing you could build this yourself.

I understood from here: VCV Rack modules similar to the hardware Malekko Varigate module? - Plugins & Modules - VCV Community

FedorFedor Tkachev

Feb '19

I think you can use any gate sequncer, the point of Varigate is hands-on control. If I may ask, what exactly, what parts and features of Varigate make it desirable for you in software?

1 Like

Thank you Yeager and Alphagem-O for all the support tonight, i made some big breakthroughs because of it. I go to get some rest now and tomorrow will continue on the gate sequencer so we can see if this master blaster sequencer will be taught how to make some moves … :grinning: :smiley:

I have been thinking of swing alot before and tonight, that when i play with swing on acoustic guitar, the rythm is still very rythmical and pleasing, also when rock bands play with swing, such as in rock n roll AC/DC. But when i hear it on some synth demos and on my BSP and Crave, the swing jumps to much, its not incremental enough (or irregular enough) so it just sound out of place. Maybe its the gear i have, i will try more to swing tomorrow because it sounds very good with accoustic instruments, i hope it is possible to achieve the same with gear/softwareVCVrack.

1 Like

The kudos should go to @Yeager for sure.

2 Likes

This was my second patch in eurorack and i learned so much from it. Why the gate is in front of the ratchet and not the other way around and why we need the first mixer to spread signals from both clock AND ratchet. Intuitivly i was thinking that rachet straight into synth gate should be enough - but it needs additional patching for the same reason as why reset needs to go everywhere which gives such a primordial feeling to the approach that is very enjoyable.

1 Like

what i am thinking now is what i can patch in to avoid ratchets to occur to close to where the kick occurs, and also how to patch in order to control the distribution between range min and range max on the ratchet.

for the kick avoidance i want to guess attenueverter. lets hope its time for this, i want to enter that chapter. Second guess is maybe vca,

for the ratchet min and max range i am guessing VCA. =)

In my example the (swing2) the gatesequencer determines when the ratchets occur and I did not use any of the inputs for the min/max, I set it to 1 and 3 and the ratchet acts like a random trigger choosing either 1,2 or 3 pulses. You can indeed duck the ratchet audio signal with a ducker :

And a VCA does just amplify a signal, maybe use an offset, where you can offset and scale a signal.

EDIT : Build your own ducker :

Just keep experimenting and patching. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great =) Oppresor and offset it is then.