Seaside Modular Announcements Thread: v2.5.2

thanks, yeah, sorry if that came off wrong, I just meant I have no insight into how that code works. If you have ideas on how to make it work more efficiently I’d definitely like to hear them. Sounds like its still more resource intensive than it needs to be.

1 Like

cool. I’ll let you know if I come up with anything… So far I’ve never met a module I couldn’t speed up 10X, although I’m sort of retired from VCV…

4 Likes

My first test of Jawari and here’s some feedback. I hope you like it honest.

• The sound is mostly quite good and you definately get the sense of a tanpura. With some effort it can be made to sound reasonably close to the real thing.

• The panel and background is beautiful!

• Compared to a real tanpura it’s a bit too heavy in the bottom end.

• It definately sounds most like a real tanpura in the open setting and lower down towards closed I feel it’s way too plucky.

• A harsh, clangerous, interference top note is often produced in many settings, like the default, that to my ears doesn’t belong to a real tanpura and is quite annoying. Can also be heard in my video below even though I tried to subdue it.

• Would love a LO+HI filter/EQ on it but of course I can use external modules.

• I feel like the default for STRING-1 should definately be Pa.

• The “OCTAVE” at lowest setting doesn’t yield good results.

• The output level is very low!

• There’s a LOT of DC-offset on the output.

• I think the “JAWARI” input should say “CV” and be connected to the open/closed slider. It’s not obvious what it is for.

• I think the top button should have a label “Strum” and the “clock in” should be changed to the same label. The two controls should be placed together or connected in some way.

• I think the slider itself should be much wider.

My first play:

Compared to a real tanpura:

6 Likes

I’m loving Proteus! Am I right in thinking this “close and re-open patch with the same sequence” feature is not available? I’m losing all these beautiful sequences but at least there are many more where those came from.

In my test it looks like it’s working and was implemented, so I don’t know why it’s not working on your side.

1 Like

Great feedback, really appreciate it. Many of these things I have noticed myself in testing. I at one point had a low pass filter to try to get rid of that clangyness on the one string (when jawari is totally opened), but ended up scrapping it. I think I will play around with EQ a little more. Interface changes definitely coming.

I agree it’s more tanpura-like when opened up, and most tanpuras are set up that way… considered trimming the range on that parameter a bit.

Pa tuning is standard, but for example if you play a raga like Marwa that has a sharp Ma (in this case F#), you tune to that instead to bring out that aspect of the raga.

I have to say this community is just so great… love the collaborative spirit and everyone is so generous with their time, makes it a real pleasure to develop this stuff. Thanks, everyone.

6 Likes

That should work. Also, with the expander, the patterns you have saved in the bank should be saved on close/restart as well.

1 Like

I love Jawari so far, used in conjunction with Meander and sequencing the Jawari clock speed. I’m using Lars’ configuration. I’m still playing around with the tuning. For some reason, with Meander set up to A-minor and Jawari String1 set to Pa (G), everything sounds very harmonious Meander is playing a 12 bar blues progression.

Great work!

1 Like

I have a little problem with this new Proteus feat, I tried to install it from the file that was provided earlier and I tried to compile the latest version from the Github repository. Each time the result is the same, only the Proteus module is visible. Unfortunately, Javari and ProteusX are not visible in VCV Rack free v. 2.2.2 for Windows.

This kind of thing happens because of subscription settings in settings.json where you have subscribed to some modules in the plugin but not others. Try editing your settings.json in your user directory with Notepad or your favorite text editor. Look for this part:

"SeasideModular": [
   "Proteus"
],

Remove the brackets and everything inside them, and make the SeasideModular part look like this:

"SeasideModular": true,

Then start VCV Rack again. It should show all the modules for that plugin. I hope this helps!

The same thing happened to me, but as @cosinekitty suggests, after deleting the plugin folder and going to the library and subscribing to the plugin, I was able to install the new plugin and see all of the modules.

Ok It works now I can see new modules. thanks a lot. Now I can try it :slight_smile: edit: It helped, but not necessarily in the way I expected. HEHE I accidentally deleted the settings.json file, which finally helped with the visibility of the modules not only Seaside Modular but so far Surge XT also helped. So a simple conclusion, from time to time you need to delete this file, it improves the operation a bit. Well, you just have to rearrange your favorite modules. Just a little step out of the comfort zone :smiley:

Edit: On Windows using Jens’ build.

After playing with Jawari in several complex patches, I started getting crashes on shutdown and startup from autosave as well as Jawari would start up horribly out of tune

I thought for sure it was Jawari, but turns out the crash log blamed SV Modular drum Sequencer while creating that module in the patch. For a while I thought it was still Jawari, but after creating a version of the patch without Jawari, SV Modular Sequencer still causes crashes.

Jawari works fine in my other patches that do not have SV Modular Sequencer in it and Jawari tuning only messes up in the patches with SV Modular Sequencer in the patch, so, I’m pretty sure both problems are related to SV Modular but an apparent memory corruption can mess up the Jawari tuning even if there is no crash apparent.

I mention this just in case anyone else sees anything similar in their tests.

2 Likes

Does Jawari need a reset in port? There is no obvious way to sync Jawari to Meander. The result sounds good, but is not consistent between patch loads and patch resets. I think :wink:

1 Like

I would happily sacrifice the push-button for a reset input. I don’t think the push button will be very useful in practical use.

1 Like

I notice that if I change rack’s sample rate, that the pitch of Jawari moves around. I assume this is a bug?

There seems to be plenty of panel space for both push-button and reset port.

I think clock and reset are such common functions on modules, that maybe a backplane tick of 16 clocks and 16 triggers (rotary uptake, xor downplane) might work. Or exactly how many pins on the backplane socket are available and floating free in a Eurorack.

Maybe keep one for a next module accept master with some kind of i2c arbitration for uptake master ok for me release system.

I do see that the development build does a lot of “info” logging. I think this has been discussed before, but do you remove all of that before submitting to the library? It’s pretty easy for the log to get up to >1MB during my drum testing with Jawari.

would you log a bug with seaside for this? I just logged some myself.