Rack v1 development blog

Put a piece of paper on a table. Then put two fingers on the bottom and scroll the page. Do you move your fingers up or down to read the next line? Inverted scrolling makes this the same behavior on real paper as it is on the machine with a touch surface[1].

[1] It of course makes no sense with a scroll wheel.

1 Like

There is no reason to try and convince each other to convert to scrolling a wheel one way or the other. The truth is people are different and good software will allow one to configure it like they want. The only argument is, allow both directions or not. I doubt Mr. Belt wants posts in here about what is the “correct” method…

No doubt. And I’m sure Mr Belt has already decided what fits his design goals best.

Added "invertZoom" to settings.json as a hidden option for inverting the rack zoom direction.

9 Likes

The proposal for module expanders has been completed. I will implement this in v1 now, but the details can still be changed based on feedback.

5 Likes

Functionality of the Module Browser is nearly complete. I just need to add favorite buttons and go through a few graphical design iterations.

23 Likes

I was a little skeptical about the redesign, but I have to say I like it more and more.

The only thing I wish for is that I can just use the keyboard to select modules like in the old browser. For that to work, one would need to be able to move a “cursor” using the arrow keys and then select the module with Enter.

2 Likes

I was testing it last night. I have a feature suggestion. When searching for a module it would be nice to be able of inserting the first module displayed when pressing enter without having to click in the module. Most of the times I search for a specific module name and I have that reflex from the code editors: quickly typing the name and pressing enter to open.

3 Likes

right, that aligns to what I requested!

1 Like

+1 for keyboard cursor control, i usually select a module like that too:
enter, name/tag, pg up pg dn + arrow keys, enter

1 Like

Also nice to have fuzzy search so that ‘slpg’ match ‘Simple Low Pass Gate’

1 Like

What should be used instead of void randomize() override {} to not randomise a parameter that is.

params[...].randomizable = false

2 Likes

Seems like a better way to do it. Is that in the process() or the config part?

In the Module constructor.

1 Like

in reference to NVGcontext:

Just to point out if you manage to forget about this change in NVGcontext (see op) it will not throw any warnings or errors at compile, it will show errors in the module constructor though which look like there is something wrong in there instead, tripped me up anyway!

I have wanted this so much. Thank you!

Closing my issue I opened today. This is exactly what I need.

Cool Breeze

I’ve been playing with the concept of making the rack infinite in all four directions, rather than just the bottom and right. Any thoughts?

8 Likes