plugins that are questionable whether there will be V2 updates

Malleko are coming too, after they were teased a long time back.

And maybe some Bastl

Interesting times!

3 Likes

Bitwig runs in demo mode if you don’t drop a license key in it. Bitwig’s demo mode is NOT time limited and only disables save and export, so you can run it as long as you want to test VST based plugins in a full DAW environment.

I was going to mention this earlier but…

One of the main issues plugins have faced is they run fine and save fine and there is no problem until a saved project is reopened in the DAW - then bang.

The fact you can’t save in the Bitwig demo would mean you couldn’t test for this problem.

super stoked to have this in VCVrack2, your tap delay is my favorite by far.

1 Like

PSA on this: Bitwig 16-Track is priced closer to Reaper and Bitwig 8-Track is often given away for free (including by Computer Music Magazine) or in bundles. They’re both pretty full-featured and would be completely adequate to do these tests, experiment with VCV in Bitwig, etc.

YMMV, but from my experience with debugging plugins that misbehave in VST is that they blow-up on loading the VCV project/template, not the DAW project. The DAW project load has no meaning from a VCV perspective. It’s when the VCV instance inside the VST space is initialized and loading a template is when all hell breaks loose, and that can easily be tested with no need for DAW save feature. It just blows the moment you add the VST to a new Bitwig project and VCV was previously saved with the offending module as a template.

People yearn for many and various digital flagship modules to come to Rack, when using them in Rack would be just as painful as is in hardware; It’s the analog modelled stuff that I want to see. Looking forward to it (not that Rack doesn’t have a few of the best in the business already).

1 Like

I’ve been pursuing streams and stuff for the Malekko ports but nothing came of it. That was like 2+ years ago! What a shame…

Yeah, @hemmer is porting Kompas! No builds or anything like that yet but he has indeed teased it in VCV Noise Plethora demos.

I’d kill for some analog-modelled Cwejman filters or some Vermona ports. STM’s randomRHYTHM just doesn’t scratch my Vermona itch.

1 Like

I really hope that once the huge lift to V2 is over, and Andrew gets some down-time, we’ll go back to the days of the VCV fundraisers as a way of getting more hardware modules ported over (as free, and ideally as open-source, modules, although the second one might need some flexibility). Those were IMO phenomenally successful and all got funded in very short spans of time. I’m perfectly happy when companies decide to port modules themselves as paid plugins, but I think there are a lot of Instruo-like companies who’d be thrilled to have some modules ported but don’t have the skilled intern there at the right time, etc. Matching them up with skilled VCV devs and giving those devs fair compensation for their work from the community (plus, presumably, hardware samples from the company) seems like a win-win-win. Maybe even a win-win-win-win!

4 Likes

Yes. Though at least they wouldn’t incur AD/DA latency on every pass in Rack! And I do think there’s something to be said for having a Rack module so you can evaluate the hardware. Still, my tastes align with yours on this point.

1 Like

Dreaming of Make Noise and Noise Engineering… A BIA sequenced by a Rene… oh man.

3 Likes

I only jumped in about 6 months ago and have around half of your list. I feel the same about drums in VCV versus other sources available to me, so that accounts for a lot of what is “missing” from my list. There is a good bunch of developers, who only make free modules, that I need to show some donation love over the next 6 months.

:scream::open_mouth::open_mouth::heart:

Wow, exiting news. I guess you really do have to be on those livestreams to get the news, although it’d be great if someone on the would report here regularly. Spread the good news so to say, now that Andrew is not active on FB and not much here either.

2 Likes

Can I download a working windows build of Lomas somewhere?

I really hope they will be updated soon, they got the nicest gate sequencer.

I dont think so - if you can build from source then you can build from my fork. I think that’s the only way right now.

I’ve still heard nothing back from the developer unfortunately - would be great if he accepted my PR and submitted to the library.

I’m still desperately seeking Repelzen. I’m crippled without the quantizer Re-Win. there are a lot of nice quantizers available, and I’m making do with Quantum, but Re-Win is my jam.

Also, Where’s Chronoblob! This is all making me quite sad, when I fully expected to be having a great time right now.

Chronoblob is on the library right now. Alright Devices. I think someone is working on Repelzen - is it you @netboy3 ?

1 Like

Nope. Would you mind opening a V2 port request issue on Repelzen’s repo?

@Steve_Russell is this you?

I was able to build Repelzen EXCEPT for the mixer and - the most important module for me - the quantizer. Re-Fold, Re-Trig (which I guess isn’t useful without the quantizer), and Re-Fold build and work fine in 2.0. Those other two modules build but crash VCV when opening the module browser.

(Please note that I know that someone is working on Repelzen. I only got my dev environment working yesterday and just downloaded the project to begin to learn module development. At this point I really and truly have no clue what I am doing or how to debug this!)

3 Likes