plugins that are questionable whether there will be V2 updates

Do we have any evidence that anyone has ever bought even $100 in thirds party plug-ins? Maybe that has happened, but It’s not cheap to hire an intern! And when you do it’s not a great idea to give them a tedious and boring port job as their intern task :wink:

Nah, just basing this on all the “Hey were did Instruo go” posts. They seem very very very popular. I bet people would pay for them. And I doubt the port would be FT work, I assume (in my imaginary fictional world) they would also work on new Instruo products and hardware firmware etc. For example someone mentioned Lubdah might be getting a rewrite.

1 Like

Looking in my own Rack2/licenses, I have 33 license files. So I’ve paid out much more than $100 on third party plugins. I don’t know exactly how much I’ve paid out, because there’s no easy way to recover that fact from the Rack website.

I don’t think I’m the only one. What I haven’t done that I should is donate to the free plugin developers. I’ll work on that in the coming year.

3 Likes

oh, nice! I suspect you are not typical, but that’s another topic.

fwiw I have bought one third party filter pack, and three or four VCV plugins. But I don’t actually “use” VCV so I just did this to contribute to those worthy undertakings. Actually, I do use “Host” to test things, now that I think about it.

They are buggy (right click menu options not saved with a preset in harmonaig for example), very heavy on the CPU, need at least doubling of the internal sampling rate to start to sound great (then they do) and when I reported the bugs I found via the provided E-Mail-Address, I never got an answer nor were there any updates after the initial release. I would not expect them to update anything in the near future. Those modules are the work of two students working there as part of their internship (read about it more here) They are great in some ways and hard to work with in other ways. I miss harmonaig, but there are other chord-generators. Just my 2c.

I’ve just gone through my emails and I’ve spent $811 on premium modules over the last couple of years. I’m a bit of a hunter and collector by nature though.

5 Likes

Give that man a cigar! Good on you sir.

Oh I didn’t count the $99 for the VCV plugin, so $910. Plus a few bits donated here and there. Yes there is a huge number of users who don’t spend anything on software, but there are a few of us who do. I’m a developer (non music) myself so I spend a bit where I can.

There are a few on here like Jeremy Wentworth and Omri who have patreons. I know Omri isn’t a dev per se, but his patches alone are worth the price of admission. Same for VCVRackIdeas. Then there are also the odd special kickstarter type deals on getting the Audible Instruments modules built. Lots of ways to invest in devs though I don’t know why more don’t go the Vult route and make free and premium ranges of the same modules, but keep the bundle price nice and low.

1 Like

Out of 28 premium plugins, I regularly use around 8?

I have several so called ‘premium’ plugins that are totally eclipsed by free alternatives.

1 Like

As an exercise in futility I made a list of mine

Autodafe - REDs

BB Modules

Entrian Acoustic Drums

Entrian Sequencers

Geodesics Vultiverse

Hora Analog Drums

Hora PCM Drum

Hora Sequencers

Hora VCO-VCF-VCA

K4815 Pattern Generator

Magus Instrumentalis

Magus Instrumentalis - Madness

MindMeld ShapeMaster Pro

ML Quantum Multiverse

Mockba Modular - Special Oscillators

Oxidlab Entferner

Prok Modular

Slime Child Audio Substation

Stellare Modular - Creative Suite

Stoev Interference

Stoev Symmetry

Studio Regen - Regen Modular

SV Modular - DrumKit Pro

SV Modular - Synthetic

SV Modular - Synthetic FX

Unfiltered Audio - Unfiltered Volume 1

VCV 2 Pro

VCV Chords

VCV Drums

VCV Host

VCV Pulse Matrix

VCV Router

VCV Scalar

VCV Sound Stage

VCV Spectra

Vult Compacts

Vult Modules

Vult Mysteries

ZZC Phaseque

In retrospect I shouldn’t have bought the drums. I’ve got loads of drum machines, drums in samples, drums in soft synths. If there were ‘best value’ for a paid bundle I’d have to give it to Slime Child Audio for Substation. Absolute quality for very little outlay. Not going to pick the ones I don’t use as it’s unfair to the devs, I’m sure they’re great it’s just with thousands of modules some just don’t get used much.

1 Like

I think the people who do buy modules are just going to buy everything they can whereas poor people (such as myself) won’t buy anything. I doubt there are many people in between.

I used to buy a lot. Thought that was a way to support the developers, and the community. Then some stuff I payed for became free. Then some stuff I payed for got abandoned. I found that really demotivating. And I am not a rich guy (but I will be, one day)

I mean it still is and if your investment in some meant the dev was happy to then make them free then all well and good IMO. Abandoned projects is an issue in open source in general unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah now I’m just a bit more careful.

You’re going to be poor when the Doopfer modules start releasing regularly!

Do you have more informations about this?

Bring it on :slight_smile:

Strymon Magneto and Starlab are what I’d really love to see.

Andrew talked about it on a dev livestream.

Initially just a few Doepfer modules. They will be premium. Eventually bundles will be available.

1 Like

Interesting. STM started out with a handful of Doepfer modules but never developed many more (the LPG and BBD, which incorporates all the BBDs, came later). I hope they will come to Rack too. I really fancy that new Frequency Divider :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too (too!) :slight_smile:

I heard a bit of that livestream and it sounded very interesting–apparently, they’re doing analog/circuit modeling even for very straightforward devices (e.g. switches) so that they behave as closely to their hardware counterparts as possible.

2 Likes