Pics Of Your Studio

I did electronics at uni, enough to know I’m terrible at soldering. A shame as I can see loads of good value kits out there from people like Frequency Central and Befaco.

1 Like

I currently have a Noise Plethora and a Kickall waiting to be built, and I already have a couple of Frequency Central logic modules I built as part of my gate & trigger lab.

5 Likes

Would love a Noise Plethora. £300 for off the shelf is pricey. I did pick up a built FC Little Melody for £90 though so not too bad.

A trigger lab sounds fun, I do enjoy playing around with applying logic on beats from Grids and other sources. One module I really need in HW that I use in VCV all the time is a burst module. In VCV I use Befaco’s but 2hp Burst looks perfect for my needs. They play really well with combos of trigger logic with beats and randomness from something like O_c’s take on MI Branches.

Take that back as just realised I have got one in Hemispheres!

1 Like

Hopefully the build will go OK. There is no way I will get through something this dense without picking up a few solder bridges along the way :slight_smile:

Nope, gives me the fear just looking at that and thinking of how frustrated I’d get. I’d have solder sucker blue thumb.

I have a Wogglebug in my MN Tape & Microsound but that is normally in a different room. Bursts are definitely useful. I do think about building the Befaco one but it’s a lot of HP. 2HP one looks fine.

I used to have O&C in Hemispheres but I have gone back to the stock firmware because Quantermain is so powerful.

Re. the price of the Noise Plethora - Thonk had a 20% off BF sale that brought the price of their (last in stock!) kit down to something reasonable. It is costly even as a kit.

tbh I’ve got an ES-3/ES-6 combo so I’m tending to just use the Noise Plethora in VCV Rack alongside my hardware. My old ears can’t tell the difference between software digital noise and hardware digital noise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dug this out to play with earlier this evening

4 Likes

Makes sense - they’re both software and there is no latency to worry about. I haven’t used my ES-9 in a few months now - it is not racked any longer - but if I did then this would be a good use of it.

1 Like

Awesome, the beginning right away sounds like some of my old favorite Skinny Puppy stuff, like the Bites album. I’d be curious if you find its sound similar to any rack instruments, I’d like to try some of those sounds out. The trick might be more in the technique than the vintage of the unit, but my ears definitely perked up right away!

Also, hm, might be time for me to revisit some of those old SP albums, they bring back a lot of interesting memories.

Ah, I saw the comment about feeding the source with reverb into the delay, that might be part of the sound that I was hearing. Something about the harshness of the delay unit chopping up these other sounds, but in a really nice stylized way.

Yeah it’s all from the same short 3/4 drum pattern in Patterning 2 so any movement in the sound comes from the unit itself as I messed with the controls.

Think my favourite part is at really short delay settings the drums merge to make a sound similar to what you might hear inside a thick plastic pipe that’s someone’s hit. There’s some bits with real texture to them. I don’t listen to much industrial EDM, although TG do stray there and I listen to them, but the box seems good for that kind of stuff.

Yeah, I don’t listen to the genre habitually, but some of that early SK stuff still brings back some nostalgia, I really like their slow tracks like Centre Bullet. Is TG Throbbing Gristle?

Yes, I end up listening to it by osmosis as it’s pretty much the only thing one of my mate’s plays, he’s an obsessive with all the bootlegs etc. I kind of appreciate them, but things like Hamburger Lady aren’t going on my playlists any time soon.

The module that launched a hundred clones and derivatives is here!

11 Likes

Nice! The Dannysound Timbre fits in perfectly with the TipTop Buchlas too!

1 Like

Yeah, haha, I remember somebody telling me about it, and later listening to it, and I haven’t listened to it since.

Though, I did see Genesis P-Orridge play once in Oakland, CA, and it was a strangely moving experience, definitely stayed with me. Must have been back in 2011, it was Alien Sky that really struck me and really tied the show together for me. Kind of a sci-fi dirge/lament that worked really well on stage and was really transporting somehow.

I still don’t entirely know what I think of P-Orridge, but I’m glad I caught that show. For all their bluster in the pages of music history, P-Orridge and the band had an unexpectedly warm and human presence on the stage that night.

1 Like

3 Module Challenge!
I win. :joy:

Just got the Vult modules today. And when the new Plaits firmware was announced it was the final push I needed to race out and scoop up one of the remaining new units at the local shop.

This combo is insane, and deep. Psycho Tones! :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

3 great modules!

I see a lot of great setups on this forum. I’ve been renting a recording studio for years now, and I’m finally buying a new house with enough space to build a studio inside, so I won’t have to rent anymore. I’m very excited that my instruments, microphones, computers and speakers will finally have a new space that I will decorate however I want. I find inspiration on forums like this one or even websites like https://www.gardenrooms.scot/offices/ for how I want to decorate my studio. I’ll also have room to buy some upgraded equipment, which will surely improve the sound quality. I think it’s important to invest in good equipment if you want a professional work setting.

2 Likes