Pics Of Your Studio

Interesting! I am definetly underusing this res eq! Haha yes, I got stupidly lucky with someone selling them on ebay, then I built a case for it (the dirty little secret is that it’s powered by a berhinger psu module hidden in the box… I’d probably be out of the very elite serge club if it was known :smiley: ) At first I never understood Cortini saying that he prefer cases made by a single maker only, no mixed system… Now I get it: when they are together it gives you a hint of what the maker had in mind when designing them. I just added a wmd mixfader to replace the huge and expensive RS cross fading micer, and a faithful ALM headphone out. Serge is quite extreme philosophy: “here is an half finished circuit design, now finish it yourself with cables!” it sounds scary at first but it’s very well documentedand not more technical than any other module, a true rabbit hole!

6 Likes

That is a thing of beauty, please have a lot of fun with it and don’t hesitate to share the results ! Do you know this person ? ( Stream user510847274 music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud ) I love their demos !

1 Like

I definately think Serge had it right with the self-patching philosofy. This case looks like a lot of fun. Do give pointers to what you make of it, if you would.

I was listening to a Darwin Grosse podcast a few months ago; I’m ashamed to say I’ve forgotten which one but the interviewee talked about his experiences with, and love of, a Serge system. The phrase he used (variations of) several times was ‘Serge - the system that gives you nothing’ :wink:

thanks I won’t hesitate to share some things :slight_smile: I have used it in a live session with a jazz band, teh video should come out one day…

For now it’s mostly discovering and learning by the (gold) book… being scholar about it is actually fun! it’s also verry nice for minimoog classic substractive sounds, it’s stable, it does sound great…

If anyone the wants a bit of serge spice in the rack, the res eq is an instant hainbach machine, but the most interesting to have is the VCFQ: great sounding filter (not moogy, kind of it’s own thing… close to arp 2500 from what I heard), with ping input (can’t make it sound bad), Low switch so you can add resont slew to CV (bouncing envelopes) but the magic happens when patching the HP output into the input: it enters in self oscillation with great tracking in a special way: LP out gives you a sine (as expected) ; BP out gives you a perfect saw; Notch out gives you a perfect square and HP gives you a perfect triangle… i don’t know how it’s possible. feedding LP or BP to the input instead gives you even more special waveshapes… and the low witch turns it into a quadrature LFO :slight_smile:

5 Likes

last entry

13 Likes

Is that like a clone of an EML synth?

yes, it’s a visual and functional clone of the EMS Synthi: the SYNTRX

Supernice touch, the virtual matrix with 256 memories and the variable resistance virtual pin

2 Likes

My slightly messy “studio”. I bought this to use as my new work desk, but somehow I’ve managed to fill it with modules/synths.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I would have bought the V1 as you did, even if the V2 seems to be capable of doing more things. are you enjoying it? next one…colossus? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

cork floor, larch boards on top coming next

7 Likes

No basement here, so the studio is in the back half of the loft (the rest is our tv room). The keyboard and Slim70 Continuum are installed in an old rosewood console piano case that a woodworker was giving away. The cello, violin, and bass guitar on top of the sauna are nonfunctional family relics for decor. The pic doesn’t show another electric guitar and a banjo, a basket of noisemakers, an old Boss pedal board, and a couple of small practice amps, The Sensel Morph is in a box on the bookshelf, but it does get pulled out from time to time. I should sell off most of the acoustics because they get very little use these days. I’d like to swap out the Keystep and the Roland FPx30x for a more capable MIDI controller, but not lose the weighted keybed. Alas, the budget was blown away by the Continuum (which is complete bliss to play).

My portable rig for travelling is a laptop, Zoom H4N, the Continuu mini you can see sitting on the silent tower PC, the keystep if I have room, and a Sony boom box,

12 Likes

The double (or coninous) piano looks so lovely, although I am more of a euroracker and string-player myself… I love the pic! - It seems like a very cosy atmosphere. In my phantasy the mentioned sauna is an acoustition-designed bass trap, but otherwise, congrats on your place - I do love it!

Cheers, dDom

Do my eyes deceive me, or do I see a sporran? But no bagpipes?

top right corner ?

I’m guessing the number of people who own both sporrans and saunas is a small intersection of humanity.

It is nice that you have room in your studio for the full sized keyboard. Alas, my Yamaha CP300 Stage Piano has to sit outside of my studio in the hallway. But, looking around my studio, I count 8 smaller MIDI keyboards that are connected to my studio network.

I have a MIDIPLUS X6mini 61 mini-key keyboard that sits between me and the computer keyboard and it is connected to my switched and routed MIDI network and to the Windows gaming computer and Rack via loopMIDI. It would be nice to have the Yamaha in the studio, but since I am not trained on the piano, I do fine with the small keyboards, mostly. I had the Yamaha connected to my studio network wirelessly, but for the moment I have lost the recipe :wink:

Yes

1 Like

What I meant was I see some pipes there but no bag, could that be the bagpipe ?