Pics Of Your Studio

Maths old style :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I would think you (especially you) would use a CAS for that sort of thing.

Yes. The HP 49G was what hooked me into this special way of programming using symbols. Later I discovered Mathematica, which at the time had a symbolic engine which was superior to all the other competitors I tried. And as you may already know, that’s how I ended up working at Wolfram.

I did a lot of programming in assembly for the Saturn processor used on the 49G. It was a very interesting processor.

2 Likes

and here it is. The first circuit simulator I wrote back in ~2002, which originally ran on a HP 49G. Capable of calculating operation point, transient analysis and transfer functions (using the CAS).

8 Likes

This was an exercise in economy of space. How much studio can you pack into a 1.3 metre square. Probably not ideal for the speaker response but besides my rack experiments I do my final mixes else where. Cheers

1 Like

You boffins (and there are MANY here) absolutely boggle me. I’m happy if I remember how to tie my shoes every morning.

2 Likes

Curta Calculator Type Type 1 TOP Condition with Can | Etsy

I have 2 mk1 and 1 mk2 :slight_smile: So proud :muscle:

Your dog’s studio is awesome but I wonder where you work?

6 Likes

:wink: I do have a 49G that I used during my college years, it is in active use by a strangely curious young one in my house though

@jeremy: I was wondering whether VCV runs more efficiently when you wire it straight into the house circuit breaker panel? :thinking:

1 Like

ya and all my voltage ranges in rack are 0 to 120v and -60 to 60v

1 Like

Call me cheap if you will, but for that sort of thing, I reach for Maxima or one of the lisp languages.

A temporary solution whilst relocating. It’s not much but it’s all I need right now… I can see the appeal of a basement but unfortunately I don’t have one of those.

5 Likes

Very cool! Love the view. What are you running on the 2nd machine? Is it your tape-deck, too?

Cheers!

1 Like

The second machine (left) is for work but I use it to display things like the keyboard guide when I’m learning to play something or pics of patch I’m recreating. The blue stickers on the white keyboard mark the black notes on a piano.

Maybe it’s poor musicianship on my part, but I think I’d go nuts (well more nuts) trying to play music using a typewriter keyboard as opposed to a dedicated MIDI keyboard controller.

2 Likes

This guy does a combo of computer keyboard and MIDI (He is still using my 1984 DOS sequencer to this day!). I’ve seen Scritti Politti (yes, dating myself) type in entire drum parts from the computer keyboard much faster than anyone could play them. But, yeah, I prefer the traditional keyboard :wink:

https://www.midimadness.com/video-demos

2 Likes

You are correct, of course. I am literally just beginning to try to learn to play keyboards so a little MIDI keyboard is on my shopping list.

I love my basement hole, but I’d much rather have your view. All our windows face parking lots.

1 Like