Ouroboros Industries development thread (Looking for testers)

Hi folks, I’ve been developing my own modules that I wanted to have, I thought it’d be worth sharing it now.

This collection started with desire to have sounds when plugging cables, I had the idea bouncing around in my head for a while, until I saw Biset’s Blank module.
The custom cable rendering from that proved it should’ve been possible, and so I started on a quest to turn that idea into reality as a “meta module” of sorts, and here we are now.

Since I was already developing a module, I also thought I’d develop a cable colour manager for myself, since all of them were missing features I wanted, so that was the second module I made.
I have some more ideas bouncing around in my skull, in particular extra features for Meta Module, but this is all for now.

Here’s the link to the Github repo:

Here’s a link for the pre-built binaries:

6 Likes

That sounds like an exciting and creative endeavor!

1 Like

I’ve added two new modules, ST-VCA, a stereo version of the VCV VCA, and Bernoulli, a bank of 8 Bernoulli gates.

I’ve also made the panels of the existing modules nicer and more consistent with the new ones, and made input and output jacks different, as well as theming them.

The new modules and visual updates are available on the automatic builds.

3 Likes

Oh cool! They have themes! :slight_smile:

Tried to give these a shot, but not loading on Mac either x64 or ARM after installing plugin file.

I can confirm that it does not load on Mac arm64. Here is what the log says:

[2.129 warn src/plugin.cpp:233 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /Users/<me>/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-arm64/OuroborosModules: Failed to read init() symbol in /Users/<me>/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-arm64/OuroborosModules/plugin.dylib

1 Like

I haven’t tried it but I think it’s a cool idea that could be extended to button clicks etc. Anything to make the computer more immersive. You could just turn it off when recording.

I’d love to add that too, but I don’t know if it’s feasible.

How strange… I don’t really know what could be causing this. I don’t have a Mac, so I’ll need someone else’s help to figure out what’s wrong.

It should be working on Mac now, thanks for reporting.

nice little collection. i like the cable plug/unplug sound idea.

any possibility you would consider making the Bernoulli trigger input column normalized, top-down, so that any of the trigger/gate input sources would also be used for any of the rows below it, so long as they don’t have their own trigger input plugged in?

otherwise, great work :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, Bernoulli’s trigger inputs are now normalled.

3 Likes

Indeed, working now. Thanks.

Confirming on Mac as well. Request: the knobs on Bernoulli are a bit hard to see. Could the line/accent color for where the knob is be darker?

Hopefully it should be better now, I took the opportunity to theme them along with improving the readability.

I’ve added a new module, Median. It “sorts” a set of 3 input voltages into minimum, middle/median and maximum. In a way, the voltages slice each other into “layers”.
This one’s polyphonic and has optional oversampling to work with audio signals.

At this point I’d like to submit the plugin to the library, but it needs more testing.

Can I suggest a use case where there are more than 3 channels at the input you make a low and high and don’t sort the middle voltages. Ie. the middle layer can be anywhere from 1-14 channels of polyphony dependent on the number of channels sent to it.

Unfortunately, that wouldn’t quite fit with the idea behind the module.
The idea I had behind it was that it’s always 3 inputs and 3 outputs, which gives some nice optimization opportunities and lets it be rather cheap. It also already uses polyphony to allow using it as multiple instances at once.

All good, totally understand.

I’m looking for testers to make sure the modules are reasonably stable and bugfree.
The plugin is now in feature freeze, until I’ve made a stable release and gotten it published on the library.