My Music - Paul Piko

In Greek mythology, heroes and mortals related to the gods reside in Elysium in the afterlife; for ordinary people, their resting place was Asphodel. This VCV Rack patch is a contrast to my previous dark ambient track Taenarus (gateway to the underworld). Here I have used the Chords module as the foundation of a synth pad, and to feed the arpeggiators. One arpeggiator drives Macro Oscillator 2 (Plaits), and the other drives the Bleak analog oscillator.

3 Likes

This should be right up @ablaut’s street. Too dark for little me :smile:

1 Like

Ooohh, that’s nice! I really like those sequences, that’s some classic synth sounds right there. Very cinematic as well. Well done Paul!

Not my usual, but I had just watch Poltergeist :wink:

Thanks! My goal in this was to get that sound so I was happy with the result.

A classic :grimacing: That explains a lot… :smile:

This patch features two ambient pads, one from Surge OSC, the other from VCV Chords into E340 Cloud Generator. Squinky Labs Saws provides the faux strings, while Macro Oscillator 2 (Plaits) simulates brass.

5 Likes

A very nice listen Paul, totally relaxing and dreamy. Love the smooth envelopes and cadences. Was that manual playing or generated notes?

Très belle composition, Paul. Bravo pour ces sonoritÊs :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Lars. The main pad is made from four chords, randomly selected. The Surge OSC pad uses the root note of the current chord. The Saws and Plaits notes are quantised Sample and Hold.

1 Like

Merci Marc!

More ambient pads in Indigo Part 2. This time Erica Synths’ Black Wavetable VCOs are used as the underlying pad, reinforced by a Basal oscillator. Macro oscillator 2 (Plaits) plays the arpeggiated sequence.

10 Likes

Wow! A very powerful piece Paul. I instantly thought of the movie interstellar when I listened to it.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

AMAZING! Man!

Thank you!

Sounds like it’s taken right out of a Steven Soderbergh movie score, very nice.

Thanks very much Lars. I wasn’t thinking of movie soundtrack when I put it together, but listening back to it I can hear the similarity.

A rocket and UFOs feature in the video of this VCV Rack patch. The video description contains some notes of the modules used.

2 Likes

That’s some great analog sounds there Paul, good stuff! I especially like the punchy and full bottom, is that the Lindenberg VCO? Cute video too :slight_smile: