My Music - Paul Piko

In this video I describe some of the steps to send pitch, gate and modulation from VCV Rack to the Behringer Crave. The Crave output is then sent to Rack for application of effects.

2 Likes

Very cool Paul. Is it an ES-8 or ES-9 you have? And if itā€™s an ES-8, whatā€™s your main audio interface?

Thanks Lars, itā€™s an ES-9

Another Patch Peakā€¦ thereā€™s quite a bit of modular synth activity around me, and I got a Strymon Magneto to try. This video shows how the Magneto gave the Crave an almost string-like sound.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s lovely Paul! Iā€™m always happy when I get to click on a new piece of music from you. And glad to see youā€™ve got your Eurorack underway, youā€™ve been holding out on us :slight_smile: Iā€™m also strongly considering the ES-9 as my first module when I go physical. How do you like it so far? And the Magneto?

Thanks Lars. I was surprised at how active the local modular synth community is. Thereā€™s a very busy second hand market. The Strymon Magneto came from a guitarist who couldnā€™t get it to work the way they wanted. I think it works OK :wink: . The skiff was second hand too, from someone upgrading their system. The ES-9 was new, from an excellent store in Melbourne. It has worked without a hitch. I could imagine that having more jacks for signal from Rack could be handy, but at least it can be expanded with an ES-5. And then the ES-5 can be expanded with multiple ESX-8GT/ESX-8CV if necessary.

Thatā€™s great to hear. ES-9 has 8 signal outputs, that could go from e.g. VCV Rack into your hardware patch, right?

Yes, thatā€™s right. The ES-9 has a total of 16 outputs and 16 inputs, but 8 of the outputs are allocated to non-CV tasks. Just to be clear, when weā€™re talking about outputs, weā€™re talking about signals that go out of the ES-9. So we have outputs for audio, headphones, SPDIF and expansion accounting for the first 8 outputs. That leaves us with 8 that can be used for CV/audio. In a VCV Rack audio module we get 8 ā€œTo Deviceā€ jacks that represent these ES-9 outputs; note theyā€™re numbered 9-16, so you need to use at least an Audio-16 module.

Of the 16 ES-9 inputs, two are allocated to SPDIF, leaving 14 3.5mm jacks that we can use from physical hardware modules. Those 14 ES-9 jacks are represented by the first 14 ā€œFrom Deviceā€ jacks of Audio-16.

To summarise, the way Iā€™m using a VCV Rack Audio-16 module:

• use To Device jacks 9-16 to send signals to the ES-9 hardware 3.5mm output jacks, then use those jacks to go into one or more hardware modules
  • use To Device jacks 1-2 to send audio output to the ES-9 headphone jack (jacks 3-4 also get mixed into the headphones)
  • use From Device jacks 1-14 to receive signals from modules that are physically patched into the ES-9 hardware 3.5mm input jacks
1 Like

TrĆØs beau travail, Paul :slightly_smiling_face:. SynthĆØse hard/soft rĆ©ussie :gem:

Merci pour tes explications :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers Marc

My pleasure :slight_smile:

I got my hands on some additional Eurorack modules for a while, so I made this video, with notes on how I use them with VCV Rack.

3 Likes

Good one Paul! I must say I do like the sound of the Atlantis, that filter is delicious. Nice lava lamp BTW. :slight_smile:

Thanks Lars. The Atlantis has a special character. The lava lamp adds a classy touch :wink:

Test run of YouTube streaming. Marbles into Elements, with some effects.

https://youtu.be/oTy-14mCxAg

2 Likes

Some Blade Runner style patching

2 Likes

Wonderful tune Paul, love it! It definately has that Bladerunner feel and Iā€™m a big Vangelis fan so right up my street. Great soundscape and composition, well done!

Cheers Lars. It has some good parts to it that Iā€™ll definitely be re-using.

Une rƩussite, Paul :slightly_smiling_face: