Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Iā€™d definitely start with the many MANY Rack tutorials, which people usually do via Youtube videos.

Iā€™ve also written some tutorials on my blog that no one reads. Some may be slightly out of date (written before Rack 1.0 was released)

And hereā€™s the first of my tutorials on CDM, which deals with using the Quad Algorithmic Rhythm module from Frozen Wasteland.

2 Likes

Hi all, good to meet you! My name is Jatin, Iā€™m a sax/piano/synth musician and electrical engineer from Denver, recently graduated from CCRMA. Iā€™ve been developing audio plugins for the past several years, and some users have asked about porting these plugins to the VCV module format. Iā€™ve recently started working on these modules (check them out here). Iā€™d also love to collaborate on these modules (and others), in particular, I know I will need help with panel design and testing.

In the meantime, Iā€™m still trying to wrap my head around making music with Rack. Iā€™m always happy to discuss DSP, astrophysics, old books, hockey, or anything in between!

Thanks, Jatin

14 Likes

Hi Jatin! Did we meet at my CCRMA talk last year? Excited to see your plugin!

Yes! Thatā€™s where I first heard about Rack :slight_smile:. Sorry itā€™s taken me so long to start developing, but I look forward to getting involved!

1 Like

Running fine under Windows 10 Pro, once compiledā€¦

Ayo people, nice to meet everyone. I kinda jumped into the whole VCV Rack thing without ever doing an intro, so Iā€™m taking a second now to say hi! My name is Christian and Iā€™m a software engineer living in Alabama. You may already be familiar with RackNES or some of the retro video game chip modules Iā€™ve published recently in the plugin, Potato Chips. Although Iā€™ve played instruments ā€“ viola & guitar ā€“ on-and-off since being a young lad, I just recently got back into instruments earlier this year when I discovered synthesis, VCV Rack, and more generally the field of DSP. Since then Iā€™ve written a bunch of music, a bunch of code, and learned a bunch of really cool stuff, a lot of it directly from reading yaā€™lls posts here in the forum. I look forward to getting to know everyone and building some cool stuff together!

15 Likes

Hi everyone, I am a retired software developer and now I have time for my big hobby: music. Iā€™m playing some different instruments like guitar, bass, drums, trumpet and since a few weeks ago I reactivated my old synthesizer (Juno-106) again. Unfortunately the Juno has a problem, and I must do a service task with the hope, I can repair it by digging out my electronic know-how from decades ago.

Iā€™m an old fan of electronic music. While organizing my DAW and diving into the world of plugins I also found synthesizer plugins. From here it was a small step to modular synthesizer software like VCV Rack. A really fascinating piece of software. Now Iā€™m diving into the tutorials, and there is a lot to find and learn :wink: And I will see where the journey leads.

Top job, Andrew and all the modules creators. A big thank You all !

Remo

12 Likes

Hi everyone! This is Robert, a German photographer, with yet another delayed introduction.

About 10 years ago my wife and I decided to leave Europe and see for ourselves whatā€™s going on elsewhere. Since then we have been living in Afghanistan, the southern Philippines and now Iraq, where Iā€™m helping to document the atrocities committed by ISIS against certain minorities.

I do have a background as a mixing engineer though and I still enjoy anything audio. Partly due to the frequent (and seemingly random) lockdowns here in Iraq Iā€™ve been able to put together the Rackwindows collection of modules, which you may have stumbled upon already. Concerning myself with audio stuff and coding, VCV in particular, is a wonderful way of keeping me happy and balanced.

Pleased to meet you all!

22 Likes

Hi, I discovered VCV Rack just a week or so ago. I canā€™t believe how good it is, really. The whole package, the UI, and the way the modules are delivered - all fits together so well. And itā€™s super-stable so very usable for making music.

There are some specific features that make it espcially useful - like being able to type exact values into controls. Excellent. Lots of details like that.

Been on a steep learning curve and now sitting back listening to my first proper generative patch. My motive though was to use it as a keyboard instrument, and thatā€™s working well both playing live and driven from DAW for recording.

Just wanted to say thank you!

20 Likes

ya, itā€™s pretty awesome :slightly_smiling_face: welcome!

Youā€™re preaching to the choir! Welcome to VCV land.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome, nice to meet you. Looks like I posted in the wrong place - sorry and thanks for moving it to the right place :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m a software developer for my job, amateur musician and ex-physicist (mathematical modeller). Reading some of the introductions that seems like a common set! During lockdown I finally got time to get stuck into electronic music which Iā€™ve been wanting to do for a while.

When I was younger I wanted to use synths but they were way to expensive - so to find VCV is a real joy. I came across it while thinking about putting together a hardware synth, which is a daunting prospect and still not cheap. So many choices. Not sure I need to now, VCV seems to have it all. But if I did I reckon I would be able to design it first in VCV and have a good idea of what I would like.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™ve been here for around a week or two I donā€™t quite remember. I am a noob to music production and VCV Rack, I am currently trying out different things to learn as much as I can. I have had around 20 guitar lessons but I am not very good at guitar I can only play things like Smoke On The Water. Lol I know. I can kinda play other harder stuff but not a lot. I listen to different subgenres of Metal and Rock and I also listen to a lot of EDM. Some of the artists I listen to are: Marilyn Manson, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, random Metal songs from other artists. Also I listen to Skrillex, Knife Party, Jauz and random EDM genres such as Riddim, House, Frenchcore and many, many others.

Thank you VCV for awarding me New User Of The Month. :grin:

10 Likes

Iā€™m an astrologer, mystic and ex-tarot reader. I predict that within a year you will be coding your own VCV plugin :smiley:

10 Likes

:smiley: hmmm yesā€¦must resistā€¦

I came looking for ā€˜a better keyboard synthā€™ and found that for sure. But this generative music is really something. What a wonderful rabbit hole to go down

8 Likes

Hey folks! Long time lurker, first time caller. Was a pro Muso for a number of years, then moved abroad and scaled it back a bit, but keep my hand in as much as possible. Been patching for a while now and interest/knowledge in DSP has been growing for some time, and since you all seem such a fine bunch of folk I just wanted spend some time here to learn, maybe help and give something back to the community if the opportunity ever presents itself. I have a couple of friends over here already providing some encouragement, but looking forward to chatting with more of you on the boards too! Happy to test modules - just PM me!

Happy patching. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You are seriously mistaken! Where did you get that notion? :smile:

3 Likes

My first post, and Iā€™m already getting heckled :joy: But seriously, this community is doing something really noteworthy not just in itā€™s output, but also in the spirit with which it conducts itself. A real pleasure to be here!

13 Likes

Hi Everyone.Been lurking for a few weeks,and consuming tutorial videos. It was one of Omri_Cohenā€™s that brought me here,in the first place.Seems that sometimes the YouTube algorithm really throws up something wonderful.[I was already just beginning to dabble with Voltage Modular,so that probably had something to do with it,but even so].

Iā€™m completely new to modular,so have a very long way to go,but have some experience with the DAW/VST world. Prior to that,Iā€™ve played piano since I was a kid,and picked up a few synths and samplers along the way.

VCV seems to be almost too good to be true : Free to start,and free to expand.How often do you find that ? Maybe never,at least at this level of quality.

I definitely will be buying some premium module,both because theyā€™re great,and to support the Devs,and VCV itself. Also,the Devs who produce,sometimes large,collections of great modules,all free of charge,deserve support,too. Does joining GitHub somehow help them ? I got that impression,somehow,but donā€™t know anything about it,or how it might work.

I could go on,and on,but instead I just like to say a friendly hello,to everyone. This seems like very knowledgable,and friendly,community.I hope to get to know at least some of you,as time goes by.

Best wishes to everyone.

15 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: BrightThunder