Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Hi Josep,

what u-he plugins do you use?

I toyed them for a bit but for stuff like reverb, compression, eq etc. I prefer fabfilter. The uhbik-g is pretty nice though. Anyway Iā€™d like to hear your opinion on what makes someone with 25 years of experience choose a certain plugin over the other :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I am Da. And I absolutely love what you have done. Thank you so much for your amazing work. Looking forward to version 1.0!

7 Likes

Hi yā€™all,

Mark here from Amsterdam.
I am so delighted with VCV Rack!
I am a music hobbyist; been DJing since halfway the nineties (moving from turntables to CDJā€™s to Ableton to Traktor and back to Ableton) and I have been shifting towards creating edits / full on production (using Maschine & Ableton).

Last year I decided it was time to get into hardware synths. I looked at desktop synths, modular and semimodular and figured that for my preferences semimodular is the best of all worlds and decided to order a Lil 'Erebus DIY kit. That thing is awesome! The built was a little challenging for someone with no experience whatsoever with soldering / hardware synths, but it taught me a lot about how that little synth works (i love it to death).

Off course I wanted to start expanding it, so and iā€™m going two ways: I just added a Doepfer dual Polarizer to the small DIY rack I am building, and I bought a second hand Motu Microbook to connect the Lil 'Erebus to the digital world. That is where VCV rack comes in.

I love the fact that I have a very small, dedicated instantly playable hardware synth (with great sounding VCO and filter) that can be expanded and automated infinitely with VCV Rack!

It is great to see how youā€™re mind start thinking once you get the hang of synthesizer and modular basics. I keep on thinking about stuff I want to do with it, see if people already figured that stuff out (and learn the correct words to describe them).

I love many sorts of music; in the nineties I started out playing House and Hip-Hop. Later this shifted to Techno, Electro, Disco, Funk and Beats. Ideally I combine elements of digital (synths!) with analog stuff (drums!), so people like Gaslamp Killer and the entire Brainfeeder / L.A. Beats-scene are great inspiration for me.

Hope to become an active member of this community!

9 Likes

Welcome Markā€¦ and I just love the sound of the Erebus!

1 Like

Welcome Mark! u have a nice mix w hardware and software. iā€™m still software only but the hardware is tempting.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

Ema here, one of the few women who are using VCV rack (hopefully there will be more of us in the future!)
I just wanted to say big thanks to Andrew for developing this amazing programme and also a shout out to Omri for his amazing video tutorials, great job and much appreciated! Iā€™m completely in love with VCV and have been using it since the very beginning.:purple_heart:

I make downtempo/experimental music under the alias The Tellurian Experience and minimal/house 4x4 oriented music under Ema Remedi.

Happy to be part of this growing community!

16 Likes

Apparently I posted my introduction in the wrong place so here it is again :slight_smile:
Hi from Belgium! Iā€™m mostly interested in VCV as a tool for making playable synths and designing either very specific or very random interesting sounds to use for music production. (So not much into the lets make a giant patch that plays a whole song by itself even though its super awesome so watch what people make sometimes)

Iā€™m trying to create psychedelic trance music that tries to get away from existing conceptions of ā€˜this is what that psytrance should sound likeā€™ and of the functions of elements inside a composition.
Since discovering VCV rack I totally got hooked, nearly all the sounds I use are now made with VCV and I learned a lot more about signal processing in general.

Iā€™m also (re-)learning c++ to make modules I often need but never find. catro-modulo on github :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hello There, Iā€™m Pascal from Paris/France,

I am an amateur musician who plays modestly some musical instruments (drums, bass, guitar and sometimes piano).
I started the modular several years ago when Reaktor 2.3 was released, then I move to Eurorack in 2012 ā€œeuro-boomā€.

I have a 6U Euro system, a Digitakt and my guitar. Iā€™ve recently add VCV to my rig (since Elektron Overbridge release) and Iā€™m completely in love with this app !

Thanks so much Andrew for the platform, all the dev for the contributions and all the users for sharing they experience and tricks.

This is is a great community !

All the best,
Pascal.

9 Likes

Welcome Pascal!

have you played with the new Wired Reaktor Blocks yet? this is like that x e^išŸ„§

I too have a digitakt and have been thinking about ways to remove the back and mount it as a sequencer osc envelope filter super combo!

never even thought to use overbridge and try that with vcv!

1 Like

Hi friends, Iā€™m Rando Patchissian, I use vcv for its random possibilities. A piano may have 88 keys but I only use two: Ctrl key and R key.

Happy patching!!

6 Likes

Guten Tag. My name is Sebastian, iā€™m from Germany near Berlin. I use VCVRack on and off for some time now, but plan to use it more seriously. I needed some break from computers in my spare time (my main job is system and network administrator), so i used mostly hardware. Now i start missing the Rack and will try to combine both hard- and software iā€™m using mainly VCV Rack and Renoise. Cheers.

6 Likes

Hey,

Andrew here from the UK. Just started with VCV Rack and absolutely loving it, and happily purchased a few plugins to show my support. I mainly use Live and Max/MSP, and experimentation is the way I like to make music. My favourite artist is Autechre.

Although I used to own a bunch of hardware synths, these days Iā€™m purely software. My co-collaborator has a bunch of Eurorack hardware(Eurorack 1 - left - Eurorack Modular System from roomofwires on ModularGrid), so now I get to join in the fun :slight_smile:

Weā€™ve been collaborating for 6 years, but have never met, working entirely via the internet. Our music can be found here: https://roomofwires.bandcamp.com

Having been a lurker on this forum for the past week or so, it seems to be a great little community <3

Anyway, pleased to meet you all.

9 Likes

Hello to all of Voltage Controlled Mens (and women)
Iā€™m french, mathĆ©matical and Phisycal teacher in Burkina Faso.
My musical passions are rock, blues, jazz, funk, rock Psychedelic, heavy metal, classical music, world music, reggae, dub, techno, Drumā€™n bass, jungle and a lot of other things.
Iā€™m also play music with my didjeridoo, Khƶƶmei singing, vietnamian guimbarde, synthetizer Korg MS20, or with different soft of MAO (Reason/Record, Fruity Loops, etc etcā€¦)
Iā€™m obseded by thoses musiciens who used modular and semi-modular synthetizer in the 50ā€™s, 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s (like Pierre Henry, Hot Butter, Pierre Schaeffer, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, or Jean-Michel Jarre.)
So, When I heard about VCV Rack, I couldnā€™t living without it!!!

10 Likes

Hi there

Iā€™m just getting into VCV Rack and posted a question in the thread about the Mac Mini.

Iā€™m really enjoying using VCV Rack. I havenā€™t paid for any modules yet, I do want to support the developer but not sure if any of the VCV paid modules are for me just yet, but when v1 comes out, Iā€™ll definitely want to purchase a license so I can use it as plug-in in Logic.

I might purchase the full set of Vult modules - they seem pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks to the developer of VCV Rack and all those who contribute modules. Itā€™s a lot of fun.

7 Likes

Hi Rack fellows, Iā€™m Valentin, a french IT student. In my spare time i play many different instruments, and i love VCV rack. I either make Synths in it, or whole compositions, and also proccess my instruments with it. I love this ā€œcommunity vibeā€ VCV rack has. Been following @Omri_Cohen for a while, and thought i should come here too :blush: I have a youtube channel where i post some music, i plan on making more with Vcv Rack too, check it out if you feel like it :wink: hereā€™s the link to one of my Vcv made music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbAsX0K13M

6 Likes

Great to see you here Olival! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll qualfy with ā€œwest of the mississippiā€. :slight_smile: PondRacer

1 Like

Welcome here! That wonā€™t be until V2.x :+1:t4: :wink:

2 Likes

Hi my name is Adam. Iā€™ve played the piano and other instruments since I was a kid, and Iā€™ve always been fascinated by computers. I discovered modular synthesizers a few years ago, and was blown away by the bizarre sounds and endless possibilities. Many thanks to @Vortico and all the plugin developers for opening this creative medium to ā€œthe peopleā€ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m the developer of a free Rack plugin: computerscare modules. Almost all of the modules are manifestations of various music-related software experiments Iā€™ve created over the past decade. Itā€™s been really fun for me to have a platform on which I can turn these ideas into something that I and others can use. Another major thanks to Andrew for making it easy to develop for Rack, and for providing clear documentation and examples of plugins.

Stand up comedy:

One time I was interviewed by ABC news about my engagement photos with a step ladder:

8 Likes

I think you just won the thread :laughing:

4 Likes