Matthew Paine Music

I have played a bit with Xjadeo on windows. I can select a frame from a video using CV. That’s neat - but so far, I have no luck doing smooth playback and other advanced functionality.

I run it from a windows commandline, as you can see in the screenshot “xjadeo -O portnumber” - portnumber is the port i want OSC to listen on. I right click the xjadeo window to load a video, and note the length in frames. In cvOSCcv, I check convert. 0-10 for the input. for the OSC out: Min value is 1, (first frame). max value is the number of frames minus 1.

Not much of a “movie player in Rack” - but maybe a path to follow.

1 Like

That is super cool @Jens.Peter.Nielsen! I guess it will be a while for vid player in Rack as it already chews up the CPU. Also, given the plugin versions of Rack, I imagine that not many people are interesting in film scoring in the standalone version. I love getting away from traditional DAW’s, so this is a super fun type of workflow experiment.

In your experiments, you might want to increase the channel sensitivity preset of cvOSCcv to pick up and send even smaller changes than the default.

do this by right clicking the module - go to preset and copy.

open an editor - notepad is fine, and find the lines that configure the input channel you want to change (here, input channel 1)

change “channelSensitivity”: to something smaller. I used 0.000000001

select all and copy - and go back to VCV. Paste the chaged preset to cvOSCcv, suing paste in the right-click menu.

A numerical change between two updates, greater than the channelsensitivity (now very small), will result in an osc send of the converted value.

this example of a 615 frame clip: 10V / 615 = 0.01626 V per frame.

I can use this setting to step up one frame at a time, using Stoermelder PILE. it stops at the last frame. I didn’t need it to loop, but you can use a comparator to reset PILE at 10V.

1 Like

Hi Everyone! Here is some more experimenting with film scoring with VCV Rack. Having lots of fun with public domain Noir films. This one is using edits from the 1946 film, The Stranger, directed by Orson Welles.

5 Likes

Happy new year, I hope the new year brings lots of creativity to everyone! Here is a new piece mixing chill beats with classical Indian vocal samples and Italian influenced guitar.

3 Likes

Hey Folks! This piece is a continuation of film my scoring experiments with VCV Rack. This I went with some B-grade Sci-Fi. Cheers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi everyone, here is a new semi generative piece using VCV Rack. This piece has a lot of post production work in Logic X. More and more I am using patches to generate volumes of different textures for further manipulation in either other Rack patches and/or in Logic. I still love the craft of creating a self contained stand alone patch but I seem to be drawn to messier processes, not unlike the way I would approach the creation of a painting.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone, here is new generative chill beats and vocals piece. Lots of layers randomly switching on and off to create various combinations. Cheers and Happy Valentines Day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Friends, here is a semi generative patch used for creating experimental film scoring ideas. Film scene from ‘The Night of the Hunter’ (1955). I created an 8 voiced string pad and doubled each voice with simple synth textures. The various combinations of the 16 voice pad are being randomly generated with volume controls. The lower section is randomly generating delay FX, selected voices of the pad being randomly let through gates in short bursts. Each voice of the patch is recorded separately and subject to traditional editing in Logic X. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone, this is a continuation of my experiments with rack for film score ideas. Nothing too complex here, generative synth textures mixed with a string section. Hope you get something out of it. Cheers.

4 Likes

I really like this one. The dialogue from that old film is great!

1 Like

Cheers, @VirtualModular, Yeah, I’ve been messing around with public domain films a bit lately, it great to find an interesting scene without any music. Glad you liked it. Excuse the late reply.

Here I have created subtle ambient layers using a VCV Rack patch to accompany a new work for a large string ensemble. A custom edit of 1962 film Carnival of The Souls is set to the piece. Hope you like it! Cheers!

5 Likes

This piece is a combination of two patches and large string ensemble sections. A group of 10 chords was used for an ongoing random selection by a squonk module. The string sections were composed after the synth patches so I could use the randomly selected chords as a template. Each channel was recorded separately and imported into logic and subjected to a fair bit of subtractive editing. All the exposed audio is in line with what the patches produced in real time. The accompanying video is a fun edit of the ‘dig it’ dance from Second Chorus (1940) starring Fred Astaire and Paulette Goddard. Hope you like it!

5 Likes

Hey peeps, this new piece combines synth textures with a string section and is a continuation of my experiments with linear composing and VCV Rack to create a cinematic aesthetic. The vid features a custom edit of 1955 film Dementia, starring Adrienne Barrett. Hope you like it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love it, so what modules did u use for the string section, it sounds very natural.

1 Like

Thanks @ady34! Thanks for checking it out. The string section was composed separately in Logic X with a spitfire library.

Sci Fi glitch fun! Lots of prepared samples randomly firing, pads, and sequencer patterns. A common practice for me lately is to record each voice of the patch and apply a fair bit of subtractive editing in Logic X. It feels analogous to sculpting something out of raw material.

4 Likes

This patch uses a MIDI file from a pre composed string section to make a variety of arpeggios. I have then mixed the patch audio with the string section and set it to a bespoke edit of 1948 film He Walked By Night starring Richard Basehart.

4 Likes

This is a ‘back to basics’ patch for me. Inspired by revisiting my youtube subscriptions of VCV Rack veterans. You know who you are. Cheers.

5 Likes