Matthew Paine Music

It’s a fabric woven from breaks and mysteries. So inventive, well done!

1 Like

Thanks @Alphagem-O, I’m quite excited about my recent experiments. Really happy you liked it.

1 Like

Having fun layering keys loops on VCV Rack drum patch. I jammed out a handful of keys parts on top of the Rack drum patch. I lifted the parts I liked and created 5 loops than can run together in parallel. I created a little composition by messing around with different combinations of the loops. The loops that are active are in colour in video.

2 Likes

I’ve jammed with my patches a lot over the years but I have never built a patch only for performing, until now! The right hand side doesn’t do a thing until a key is hit, a novel concept for me. The fun part was building in fairly unpredictable modulation making the performance aspect super exciting. Unfortunately in this improv one of the voices didn’t record, but I still like the result. Also, I have let the piano audio bleed into the mix. The left hand side is an ambient FX patch, elements randomly triggering. Looking forward to more sophisticated attempts at performance patches in the future!

8 Likes

Awesome, keep on going! With a couple more switches this could become an hour-long performance. So interesting to listen to all the fine details in the patch.

1 Like

Cheers @Alphagem-O! I’m currently developing it for a spatial piece. I’m breaking apart each voice and with seperate speakers positioning them around an underground carpark. Going to be fun!

2 Likes

Will that be in Melbourne and public?

2 Likes

Would love to attend this one, but if it is Melbourne, it will be half around the globe from Europe.

The earliest experience of spatial music I had was with the Zaireeka album by The Flaming Lips. It came as 4 CDs and required 4 CD players. Ususally the players were not quite in sync, creating interesting rhythmical variation in addition to the different placements in space.

The music is rebellious, but ‘performances’ were always unique.

There is so much one could do.

1 Like

Still experimenting and contemplating how the experience will play out. Likely months of development.

I’m thinking it will be invite only as there will probably be some trespassing involved. Still scouting locations.

I’ll definetly keep you in the loop!

This is great! For my masters degree I created a virtual spatial work with dolby Atmos. In all my research I never came across this. Thanks for pointing it out.

And yeah, It will be all the way down in Melbourne. No travel plans for the foreseeable future.

Cool. I don’t get into town often and I’m looking at moving even further out. But interested to hear how it goes. Have you been in contact with MESS? They’ve had events at some interesting venues

Glad the album might give you some additional inspiration.

Perhaps you can record your performance and share a few snippets eventually, even though the spatial ear candy may not translate. It sounds like a great project!

1 Like

I gave building a polyphonic synth a crack and threw down an improv performance. Three layers to the patch. Two late onset saw ‘washes’ and a quicker attack sine with FMOP, all voices with random capture delays. Had a lot fun exploring the glide modules, especially enjoying the synth sliding up behind the precise piano hits. The auxiliary patch bottom right is chopping up a tasty break beat and firing some Catholic plainchant samples. Fired up the old Nord too with some dirty vibrato.

3 Likes

Carousels is made up of 16 small and simple seperate VCV Rack patches. Each patch acts as both a seperate line of the composition and a seperate instrument in the ensemble. I wrote this composition a while ago and only now have applied it to rack, having so much fun creating and putting together all the textures.

2 Likes

First try with the new pluck module. I am using multiple instances of Pluck to create the voices of a fixed composition. There is a little bit of varying modulation on the morph feature, otherwise the use of the module is fairly basic. Looking forward to exploring the module with more modulation. The piece also has an accompanying string section.

3 Likes

That sounds great. And great composition Matthew!

1 Like

Thanks Lars! Really appreciate it!