Matthew Paine Music

Hey Peeps, like many in the community I am occasionally moved to try and get a Drum and Bass vibe out of rack. Here is my attempt in my weekly project. This is sort of like a final part in a trilogy of my last three weekly projects. I totally rocked the Prodigal Son oscillator again. As usual a bit of post editing in Logic X and some royalty free imagery for accompaniment. Cheers!

5 Likes

Having fun with a moody cafe jazz type aesthetic here. The drum loops a being manipulated with VoxGlitch Autobreak, and other elements subject to random muting to break up the textures. However, this piece is about creating an atmosphere that gels with my relationship to the autumn weather in Melbourne rather than any crazy patching techniques. Hope you like it

4 Likes

Before downloading Rack 2.4 for whatever reason I to dug up some old patches I was working on before V2 dropped.
This one was part of a group of patches I was developing for live performances. The project didn’t take off but I still like the result. The patch is mainly firing Felix Mendelssohn piano samples and beats. The Squinky Labs F1 filter is helping towards the grit of the samples. It’s super cool and aggressive filter imo.

4 Likes

I like F1, too. We might be the only two, however :wink:

1 Like

Fine with me!

I like it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one has a mysterious, pensive vibe to it. I like it!

1 Like

Thanks @Alphagem-O, I like it too, I’ve been sitting on this for a while. I think a version of this will end up on a release later in the year. Also, the Mendelssohn piece I cut the samples from is great.

1 Like

F1, or as I like to think of it “The rude AF punk filter that doesn’t damn about you or your tone”.

1 Like

Plus one for F1! The limiter makes it fairly insane to use in a feedback loop. Instant Delay works really well for this, producing screaming metallic granular mayhem.

1 Like

nice! When I was making F1 I thought “this limiter is pretty cool”, so I made Comp out of it at about the same time. Of course Comp is a lot more sophisticated than the limiter in F1. An annoying thing about F1 is that it won’t self oscillate, but a contrary good thing is that you can get get the Q really, really high, and it stays pretty consistent up and down the frequency range. that took a lot of hand tweaking…

1 Like

Appreciate your efforts, the CPU usage is low as well. It’s usually my first choice when I’m using the full 16 channels of polyphony, which cripples my laptop with certain other filters, especially the analogue modelled ones.

2 Likes

I SO know what you mean, when I used to try and do giant patches in one hit with older versions of Rack the Squinky Module suite got me out of CPU trouble many times. Also they sound great!

A friend of mine sent me a spoken word poem a while back and many times I tried to create something new and interesting with it in Rack. Many, many failures and deleted patches followed. Recently I gave it another crack and stumbled upon what I think is an interesting result. The main feature effecting the poem audio is the independent random triggering of the ‘reverse’, and ‘forward’ functions on the sampler. The ‘forward’ trigger is set at a higher probability, therefore eventually winning out and playing out the poem in full with intermittent back tracking.

Hey Peeps! Here is a new piece! The larger patch on the left makes use of prepared MIDI files to fire the synths and drums. The only generative features are: Before each of the drum triggers there are simple chains of an LFO modulating the AB probability outs on the chances modules . This simply creates waves of varying drum density over time. The 2 patches on the right are reverb and saturation FX for each of the recorded channels from the left patch. I dumped the dry channel recordings from the left patch and the FX channel recordings from the right into Logic X and then did a fair bit of subtractive editing. I then messed around with some samples from the opera Tosca, adding some into the mix.

4 Likes

NICE ! Are you on Spotify please ?

1 Like

Beautiful audio, powerful video! :+1:

1 Like

Hey @Reisselpud! Glad you liked it. My latest album got pulled from spotify because I didn’t renew a publishing subscription. In time I will up my Spotify game. I put out a weekly/fortnightly rack project on my youtube fairly consistently. Otherwise my band camp has a few albums on it. I’m definitely due a nice new polished release.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks @Alphagem-O, happy with how this one came out too!

1 Like

Here is another hybrid Rack / Logic X edit job. I used MIDI files of Palestrina’s Missa Papae Marcelli in the patch and then cut in beats and opera samples with the patch audio. Hope you like this unusual mix music material.

2 Likes