Lets See Your Custom Module Skins

I forgot about this thread and one of my past post about mscHack mixer 24x4x4 “color hack” that I did with it. ( Lets See Your Custom Module Skins - #38 by jaynothin )

Since this one I didn’t customized any other modules, but back then I did go a little further with the mixer and never posted the result. Compared to the first one, I made it a little darker, (strating from the left), and I worked the text minutes “spatial” adjustments, and added more texts/letters (G1-G2… A1, A2…), and then some…

Not much, but I hope it’s worth a re-post.

So here it is:

2 Likes

Let’s see what happens when I post this : :thinking::wink:

6 Likes

Love that mod to surge. Nice stuff!

1 Like

Ha! This Surge mod already looks sooooo much better.
I’lld rather see the upper parts inverted, ie: the light color dark, and the dark parts into that grey’ish color.
While retaining the orange theme.
Maybe you could ask them to add this theme as a switch in the context menu?

1 Like

Yeah I had intended it to be much darker but just changed the colours blindly and it looked alright. I’ll play with it when I have some time and see what I can come up with.

1 Like

How can someone get these skins?

What’s the module on the left?

I presume this is your custom skin for Floats? (https://gumroad.com/l/floats)
Well done!

1 Like

You presumed right, and thanks :smiley:

Thanks.

Yeah, unfortunately in most of our modules the text is rendered in code, not in the panel SVG. This is not the case in new modules (like Stairway, Seq++, and Polygate). We hope to go back to the old ones and make them more “skin friendly”.

2 Likes

I’ve since learned (a very little) about how it is done in the code and think with a bit of patience I could reskin them (read change some colours) easily now. That’s interesting to hear though, if that’s the case then probably won’t bother delving into the code because it’s not easy to share the results.

Purely hypothetically, would you be up for adding different built in themes?

Sure, but the main work is re-coding the modules to not use text labels any more, and then updating the SVG to put the text in. If/when I do that, I would almost certainly put in my own “dark” theme.

4 Likes

IMHO the Surge knobs must be improved (I m talking about the originals knobs, the shadows are not working property )

1 Like

Here’s my take on Floats. Not as cool as Yeager’s, but much less busy and distracting than the original. Still not sure if I love the bubbles around the CV inputs, but it’s difficult to suss out the signal flow without them IMO.

9 Likes

I think (IMHO) the labelling text would possibly be more obviously placed on the rhs of the knobs & buttons in order to allow for the expanders.

2 Likes

On the subject of re-Skinning thanks to the funkybot explanation and NYSTHY’s inclusion of a ‘re-skinners’ folder we have created a 50’s BBC livery for a few of Antonio’s modules and the alikins on/off module.

17 Likes

Haha, love the tape reels on the echoes in particular! Looks terrific.

Some friendly feedback: some of the light text on the light background is a little difficult to read like on Plateverb or Stereo Chorus Tremolo for example. If zoomed out, no way I’m able to see what the label says.

yeah, that looks nice.

I like my modules 70’s Revox grey (approximately):

13 Likes