Jim Frye - Ambient

Although I have VCV Rack running on my machine every single day, l haven’t recorded anything in almost a year. I had already had the melody of tubular bells entered into a sequencer, so I decided to record something for the season. I used Unless Modules Mr. Chainkov to create some new melodies from the original sequence. A very simple two voice patch. Comments are welcome.

9 Likes

Very nice Jim, cool and spooky :slight_smile: Edit: I meant Jim, obviously :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks Lars!

1 Like

Vultainium; I love this - so much going on …

1 Like

thank you ScreenSlave.

Clouds of Europa Variant;

I put this on this morning and it’s been on all day …

1 Like

Hi guys… and gals! I made some easy going sounds. Don’t listen or comment, it’ll only encourage me. :wink:

5 Likes

Oops, I listened :slight_smile: Well Jim, it’s a gorgeous patch and I love it! Classic Jim Frye patch, just up my street. Brilliant soundstage and mood there. I can’t figure out your patch, are you playing some samples in the beginning or are you a better sound designer than I think? Anyways, well done, great work, hope more soon!

1 Like

Hi Lars, thanks for listening and for the kind words. There are no samples in there. :slight_smile: All of the “filler” sounds were obfuscations of the original PLUK sound. The beginning sounds are from adding a short delay with high feedback, then feeding that to Southpole Smoke, running Perasites code. I modulated almost everything using a med slow Caudal. The later sounds were created using Frequency Domain, Box of Revalations, modulated by Bogaudio Walk2. There is a third odd sound created by running Nomad Strange Attractors, filtered by using Vult Freak, Tangents. Thanks again.

I replied the same thing on youtube in case anyone was curious.

2 Likes

Well I’ve sort of forgotten to update my page here. I’ve got several works to put on here. Mostly easy going stuff you don’t have to think about when listening. Enjoy

3 Likes

I made a thing.

8 Likes

Very nice Jim, good to hear from you again! I always love the sound of Rings alternatively being stopped or allowed to ring out, sounds so organic. I’m imagining a small ensemble playing in a cathedral here.

1 Like

Thanks Lars, I’ve been really busy this summer. :frowning: I hope to create more this fall and winter. :sunglasses: I really like the sound of some simple melodies in a large room. I just ordered a t-shirt, “Reverb, more is better”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is probably the best thing I have ever created. Well, I set up the voices, but was at the mercy of Hallucinagenia for the notes and gate selection, so it was really luck in that regard. The Reverb shirts helped I’m sure. haha

Here’s the patch. :smiley:

7 Likes

Nice to see you busy again. And yes, it makes me want to crank it up in volume, and sound stage is nice indeed

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a really nice piece Jim. Like it a lot!

1 Like

Thank you Lars. It was on the screen for days as I spent a little time here and there. I knew it had some potential but something was off. In a I wonder what would happen moment added more than one octave range from Hallucigenia and it made all the difference. I faded everything out and pressed record… It’s really weird sometimes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

I entered the Day of the Dead event with this patch. My approach on this was to sequentially fade in and out four separate voices. They are in order, a continuous drone, a piano melody, a screaming drone, and another piano melody. Being limited to Vult, Geodesic, and VCV modules I missed having clock dividers and some other tools, but sometimes these limitations can inspire different ways of creating sounds. I may not have created this patch without the limitations. haha! weird. I had fun making it. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them. Thanks for listening!

6 Likes

Beautiful, a great piece of work. Like the creepy/nice rhythm contrast with the ghostly screams in the background, how did you achieve those, Vorg and Nitrous?

1 Like