Jim Frye - Ambient

Well my old ears don’t hear well over like 8khz. I hope this doesn’t have too much high pitched sounds. It’s a slow and mellow ambient with wind chime driven leads. Chimes created by Elements and Clouds adds shimmer effect. Bass is created with XFX Wave and Basal. Re-Burst from Repelzen gates the chimes.

2 Likes

I wasn’t happy with the above rendition. I had to redo it. I changed the recording in PaulXstretch to create a more pleasant background. The rest is just octave changing and mixing things in and out, same as above. I would like to have some creative feedback on this.

6 Likes

Wonderful results. For my own clarification, how exactly did you use the PaulXStretch with the patch. After recording? I’ve used the old Paul’s Extreme Time Stretch VST in Ableton and Audacity, but just now saw the site for PaulXStretch. Looks like I need to download a copy.

1 Like

Hi Cottonchipper, I have recorded the audio PaulXStretch was playing. When you have the VST it will load all the settings, but you still need to import this audio. Or you can record it. I solo’d the chimes and gated them directly from the clock.

2 Likes

Well I like it. Really nice sounds in a kind of cinematic theme.

1 Like

Very beautiful music. I like the atmosphere and sound design. It is cool!

1 Like

Thank you Evgeny!

I tried out the new Scanner Darkly, Orca’s Heart sequencer. I like it a lot.

3 Likes

I made an entry for the Vult DOTD contest. The contest limits you to using only Vultari as the sound source and Boomstick as the only filter. Knowing Vultari isn’t an accurate v/oct oscillator I at first tried to make Boomstick self oscillate. It wouldn’t cooperate so I created a Karplus-Strong circuit and pinged it with the Vultari signal. Yes, I know I used a quantizer into an atonal vco, but it really did sound better. lol

7 Likes

I decided to play with Marbles a bit and stumbled onto this awesome melodic sequence. Not sure how it could sound so human, yet been born of random cv and gate values. I was experimenting with feeding a left centered guitar the 16 note sequence, and a right centered guitar was fed the sequence through a 16 step delay. As I moved deja vu slightly off 12 the guitars would overlap in step with evolving melody lines. However this wasn’t used till the end of the recording because I didn’t want to loose the sequence. :confused: I was still working on the bass, but ended up just recording. I would have done a few things differently, but I’m happy with the results.

https://youtu.be/gKr063IRkQ8

6 Likes

Geez man, this is so good!! These wonderful sounds exploit the Marbles moment so well!

1 Like

What_Adi_said++. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys! Love hate relationship with Marbles. Wish we could import, export, or even edit the actual sequence it’s using when locked down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, & you can use that Squinky piano roll to record a Marbles sequence, and then you could edit it within the module or export midi file to a daw to edit.

2 Likes

Really nice Jim. Good sounding guitar VST and love that occasional lead sound. And yeah, Marbles never ceases to amaze with what it comes up with.

1 Like

You can also record it into e.g. Foundry or one of the other Impromptu sequencers, and then continue working with it from there.

1 Like

I’m currently addicted to playing Caves of Qud, and this reminds me the soundtrack a lot ! Lovely piece :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting atmosphere and sound design. Very impressive.

1 Like

Very nice indeed.

1 Like

I recently made a new ambient thingy. :slight_smile: I wanted to try some new modules and I think it turned out pretty well. Amazed by Turing Machine for guitar melody and timing. Energy oscillators are awesome! Chronoblob delay! Ions sequencer for the bass. Fence to grab just a single octave from randoms. Fun stuff! Feedback is welcome! Thanks

6 Likes