Jim Frye - Ambient

very cool Jim, this bass is awesome!

1 Like

love this pad sound harmonizing the whole piece, it’s really beautiful Jim.

1 Like

Thank you Adi. It’s not perfect, but the method, the results, are mesmerizing to me. :smile:

I was testing to make sure the patch would open and play properly before putting it up here. I had issues that took a little time to figure out. I tracked it down to Bogaudio LLFO operating as a square wave instead of the selected pulse output when the patch was opened. I put in a bug report on their github page. I made a workaround to make it play correctly. :smiley:

Here is the patch. cannon-03-a.vcv (45.1 KB)

1 Like

For a few reasons, I haven’t been able to do much with Rack these last few months. Here is my first recording in a long time. I used the new VCV Recorder and it appears to rock! My goal was to create something laid back, but interesting. I hope someone may think it’s ok… I present Vee Whon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really nice Jim, I like it! Is the occasional whale artifact coming from the self patching of the delay?

Hi Lars, thanks for the comments. I believe the sound you’re referring to is created by sample and holding every eighth note from the lead source voltage, running it through a slew limiter more slowly on the rising transition, then feeding the left Basal VCO. The two Basal VCO go to the dual delay wired to toss the signals from left to right. Here is the patch. :slight_smile:

v1-test-07.vcv (28.8 KB)

2 Likes

Lovely ! I love the rythm and the sounds :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you Valentin! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have made a thing… uh, yeah… I was playing with the patch for awhile, then I stumbled onto Omri’s facebook post about the KlirrFactory contest centered on the Clock Multiplier. It was exactly what my patch needed. Yay… The “singing” sounds came from Caudal modulating Basal and Tangents, thanks to Leonardo. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow that intro :smiley:

Edit: well the whole thing is gold actually :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you sir. :beers:

1 Like

Lovely as always Jim! Seems like it’s a great start for a bigger piece…

2 Likes

thanks Lars!

Here is another generative piece using the PLUK mode of the Macro Oscillator, As a guitar player, I just love that mode so I use it a lot. This was definitely driven by an idea of creating a sequence that is torn up and rebuilt slowly over time. It turned out ok and this was the first and only recording. Listen with headphones in a quiet place. :slight_smile: There are many other ways to use this trick.

This is another moody bass and guitar patch. Three simple voices with a complex morphing melody structure. Here I use Evolution to store the eight note active melody. It is fed in new notes, randomly around three times per cycle. It is fed notes from either a sequencer or a random quantized note. So in this way it restores the sequencer melody part of the time, and it deviates from the sequencer melody part of the time, in a slow repeating cycle. When the VCA LED’s in the upper left are lit, the melody is rebuilding, and when the VCA LED’s are off the melody is being slowly changed with random notes. These notes from Evolution are then sent to two PLUK’s with a separate clock multiplier on each. Caudal drives the Timber on the PLUK’s and at the same time drives the clock multipliers. So the result is the PLUK’s will single trigger when their notes ring, and will receive multiple triggers when the PLUK’s Timber is dampened. Add a little reverb and Bob’s your uncle!

5 Likes

Nice little string piece Jim, sounds great!

2 Likes

thanks buddy!

Just for fun I wanted to try to replicate or emulate the sound of tuned aluminum tube wind chimes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very convincing Jim! Elements is great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to give the Soutpole version 1 beta Riemann Chord Generator a good testing. Ended up making this slightly darker ambient piece called Riemannystic. I hope you like it.

4 Likes