Introducing MindMeld PatchMaster! (and RouteMasters)

While certain modules are exacerbating this browser / framerate slow down, I feel that this is a symptom of a fundamental bug in rack that has somehow reappeared.

1 Like

I was about to post the same observation/opinion.

Interesting observations from @contemporaryinsanity and @k-chaffin , but in this specific case it seems it was a bug on my part.

The way I was adding the widgets was incorrect and the framebuffers that were supposed to cache the tile SVGs were not being used. So we will update the builds again within a few hours, and ask if anyone that was experiencing graphical slowdowns with PatchMaster (especially @trevormeier and @fractalgee) can try again.

We will notify here when those builds are ready. Thanks for the feedback that us to fix this issue! :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

Great news, but I still think that there is something fundamentally wrong again.

1 Like

I agree. I have had to back off from complex patches with Rack 2.2.0 as the browser is pretty much unusable. I could go back to 2.1.2, but I don’t want to do that.

Edit: But I can imagine that the problem in the browser is thread competition related.

The graphics issue identified in my previous message above has been fixed, if @trevormeier, @fractalgee or anyone else can try the new version, it would be much appreciated, thanks!

Just tested. The browser is still quite a bit slower as soon as i have my patchmaster selection Strip++ imported. But the other graphics being stuck and framerate going down at least seem to be very much fixed. I cannot qualify how much slower but module browser is definitely still taking longer to populate screen with actual graphics while scrolling through, but as pointed out, this may just be exasperating a Rack issue that was there already or at least popped up again as of late.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I am on windows 10 machine with the latest VCV Rack Pro, I have MindMelds ShapeMaster Pro which is working well but PatchMaster is not showing up in the browser. What should I do? Thank you.

2 Likes

I don’t understand exactly how to subscribe to the full Mindmeld plugin. I think I am subscribed to the full, not separate modules. Otherwise, I followed the guidelines and it is the same situation. Sorry if I am missing something. I am really excited about trying PatchMaster and in general anything regarding MindMeld (including the name :stuck_out_tongue: )

Testing 2.1.1 on Mac (M1/Rosetta). Load time is significantly better. Module browser is still somewhat slow, but I’d say 4x faster than it was in the previous build. Definitely within the realm of usable.

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

When you first land on the library page you see lots of modules with the ability to ‘Add’ them. DON’T DO THAT…

Instead click on ‘Plugins’ in the top right of the page (outlined in red) so you go to the library plugin list page.

https://library.vcvrack.com/plugins

Search for MindMeld and subscribe to the ‘MindMeld’ plugin there. If you have previously subscribed to individual MindMeld modules, click unsubscribe and then subscribe again.

Then download the MindMeld beta that includes PatchMaster from the link below and drop it in your Rack2/plugins folder and restart Rack

3 Likes

Wow, I have never done that. You are so kind to explain that clearly. Thank you!

1 Like

Could perhaps explain the “slow module browser” that @k-chaffin and a couple of others have been experiencing. Because the graphics are rendered in the module browser.

Although it’s true that the graphics are rendered in the module browser when it is open, it only renders one PatchMaster in that preview, so that in and of itself would not be a true cause for slowing down the module browser, if I don’t framebuffer correctly; however, the patch that we have open continues to get rendered in the background on every frame when the module browser is open, so if someone had 40 PatchMasters that were not framebuffering correctly, it would indirectly also affect the module browser.

In any case, this should be fixed now, and any remaining slowness in the module browser would be interesting to debug, but should not specifically be caused by the MindMeld plugin.

1 Like

Not to hijack this topic/thread, but a new piece of information is that my browser hang up is very sensitive to Rack video frame rate. I can create the hang up at 60 Hz and clear it by switching to 15 Hz in the same Rack patch session. So far this is the only repeatable thing I have found. Note, in general, I do not have PatchMaster in these complex patches.

Edit: I am just now about to install the MindMeld fix and will report back on the results. If the browser hang-up is still present, we should create a new topic for that problem.

The Rack 2.2.0 browser hanging bug persists with the most recent beta MindMeld plugin, so most likely the two problems are unrelated.

1 Like

can you send me the patch, I’d be curious to try it if you like

1 Like

Done, via PM.

1 Like

Appreciated:

Mindmeld mixers, the Poly-spread V and P track 1 now On or Off, via context-menu.

Merci Marc!