Introducing MindMeld PatchMaster! (and RouteMasters)

Hey, thanks! :grin:

These modules are fantastic!

Do you think it might ever be possible to have two small buttons side-by-side in a single control? It’s not a big thing, but it would conserve real estate and satisfy my neurotic skeuomorphism for things like left/right, previous/next situations like on the Launch Control XL…

It’s an interesting idea and I can see the use case. Can’t promise anything but I’ll speak to Marc about it. Might be a bit tight fitting them in with the mapping lights (which it looks like you have hidden in your grab)

We’ve done a few tweaks for the version that will go in the library - one of which is to add key commands for quick mapping.

As an alternative to using the menus to map you’ll be able to hover your cursor over a tile on PatchMaster then hit Shift+1 (for map 1) or Shift+2 (for map 2) etc to activate mapping mode - then just click on the control you want to map to.

Also Shift+X to delete a tile, Shift+D to duplicate a tile, Shift+C to copy a tile, Shift+V to paste a tile, Shift+H to hide a tile.

13 Likes

Love this post!

Builds have been updated in the github releases pointed-to in the first post in this thread. Along with the new hotkeys mentioned by Steve two posts above, we have also reworked how the radio buttons work, so it may occur that any currently saved patches will reopen with a different button selected, but hopefully this is not too big of an inconvenience. If a few kind souls would like to install the new version of the plugin, it would help us validate things and hopefully we can put in the library update request in a few days or so. Happy patching mapping! :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Testing here the new version, previous patch has opened without issue, shortcuts looks ok MacOs/Mojave

2 Likes

MacOS 13.0.1, Rack 2.2.0, latest dev build (2.1.1b) opens previous patch without a hitch.

2 Likes

This is the approach I came up with and it works like a charm. Does require a HetrickCV Binary Gate and a stoermelder yMap to make any momentary button on the minilar pair work as latched ones as well. Not very elegant but since MIDI-CAT (stoermelder) made a mess of mapping the minilars I had to rethink the whole thing and this was solution that worked

What do you mean by that?

Ben - is there anything in your wonderful collection of tools that lets you hide/show all the little square ‘this controller is mapped’ icons in a patch?

Might have been boneheaded but back in Rack 1.6 I had them mapped via top of MIDI-CAT) as Minilar 1 and the second side of the pair as Minilar 2) that was only way I could get them mapped. If i try this with patchmaster, have two pairs (left is the left side (minilar 1) and right is minilar2 above in the patchmaster. Now trying to map things makes several CCs map randomly and move many a control, so have to unmap and start again. Cabn’t explain it better, but maybe i just needed to use the top one and not both inputs on MIDI-CAt now to make a sane mapping of what is cc00-cc31 for the whole pair

No. I believe it is impossible because the square is attached to the ParamHandle and only the controlling module knows about that.

Be careful: these are not two „inputs“ on MIDI-CAT - one is input, one is MIDI output for feedback to the controller. If you don’t need it or your controller can’t handle MIDI feedback, leave the output unassigned.

that was likely mu issue. However one thing that changed between 1.6 and 2.2 seems that back in 1.6 the Minilars showed up as 2 devices, but in Rack 2 only as a single one (which they are, to the computer). Anyhow, All done and will revisit with a single mapping of MIDI-CAT and see where that takes me, saves on some binary gates and miccro-maps :wink:

would be amazing a curve editor like shape master

Whoah there! :slight_smile:

Don’t want to raise your expectations too much here - I doubt we’ll be building little ShapeMasters into each controller on PatchMaster… some log/exp control would be more likely but we’ll see.

3 Likes

I’ve been using this a ton! Looks like I ended up in a similar place to others with the LaunchControl XL. I’ve also mapped out my Wavestate, the SlimeChild Substation and a mockup of a Moog Grandmother to fit a midilar Knots controller.

I’ll echo the wish for curves. Right now I’m using a lot of Hetrick Exponent modules which do the trick, but it’s a lot of clutter in a patch.

One thing I’m wishing for is CV in and out ports, for designing a custom patch bay with labels. It’s the missing link of designing a custom modular interface, especially for replicating semi-modulars like the Subharmonicon, Mother-32, Grandmother etc. It’s not just about the controls, it’s about the limited choices in patching. For now I’m using latching buttons of different colours to indicate which is which, and then a whole pile of Teleport modules to get the CV where it needs to go.

I’m noticing that patches with quite a few PatchMaster modules are loading quite slowly (M1 Max / Rosetta / macOS 12.6.1). I’ll try the new build and see if that’s still the case.

I’ve also realized that the Surge XT modulation-mapping buttons aren’t mappable. I’ll make a request to those folks and see if it would be straightforward to add. Building custom interfaces with PatchMaster for a pile of modules from XT is the missing modular that Bitwig should have!

Very happy you guys came out with this. I’ve spent many hours over the last few days playing with the possibilities.

3 Likes

Loading the graphics is definitely slowed a lot by having Patchmaster in a patch, as is using the module browser. Opening the patch I’m working on right now takes more 30 seconds for all of the graphics to load, and not all of them load successfully. Cable ends stop appearing, for example.

This is on the latest Patchmaster build from GitHub, Rack Pro 2.2.0, macOS 12.6.1, M1 Max with 64GB running in Rosetta. Removing the Patchmaster modules or loading other big patches without Patchmaster all load in a second or two.

1 Like

yes, I also noticed the signal overdrive bars on the MindMeld mixers are stuck once they happen, no matter if still overdriving any channel @marc_boule

@trevormeier @fractalgee I’m noticing a graphical slowdown also, just dropping in 30 PatchMasters in their initial states into a very simple patch makes my framerate drop from 60fps to about 50fps, so it does appear that there is an issue. I’ll look into this.

1 Like