How to import MIDI files into VCV Rack?

This is probably above my current level, but something I have been interested in and want to try. Is there a way to work with pre-generated midi files in VCV rack? Let me explain further:

I have several generative and fractal music programs, such as FractMus 2000 for example. These programs basically create generative and fractal music, and can be exported in midi files. In the past, I have then either taken the files ‘as-is’ or reworked or quantized them in other software, and then imported them into a DAW, where I proceeded to assign VSTi’s and FX into fully realized compositions. Even better in many instances, rather than using traditional instrumentation such as piano, strings, etc., I have used more experimental and bizarre voicing on the tracks with VSTi’s such as made by HG Fortune (RIP Gunter :frowning: ).

My question is, is anything similar possible within VCV Rack itself, without having to use another DAW or outside hardware/software? Is there something in VCV Rack that can import a midi file, and/or then assign tracks or portions or something to specific modules? If so, are there any available tutorials yet on how to accomplish this? Finally…is all this way above my “paygrade”? Most of my knowledge in this area is simply from hands-on experimenting and playing. I am still a beginner with modular, and with VCV rack. My main interests however are in generative music, fractal music, experimental soundscapes and textures, “soundtrack” type music, dark ambient soundscapes, things of that nature. Anything I can do to further my knowledge and experimental journey in those directions is a help!

Thank you in advance, friends!
(If this isn’t exactly in the right location as not involving a specific module, per se, please let me know where it SHOULD be posted and I won’t make the same mistake hopefully! Thank you!)

I don’t think that there is a module that can read MIDI files… I guess using a DAW is the only way for now, or maybe there is a VST for this and you can use VCV Host.

1 Like

I would also like to see this!

1 Like

maybe something like this (https://www.kvraudio.com/product/virtualkeyboard-by-4drx) in combination with VCV Host… but I m not sure if this would work.

2 Likes

Hmm…but, if that’s the case, then, and this is just me thinking here…something like the new Piano Roll module would work, if loading a midi file could be implemented into it…at least, it’s something to think about and consider! Good idea though! Man, wish I was a coder/developer! Thanks!

VCV’s upcoming piano roll will support loading and saving polyphonic MIDI files. But I don’t think anything currently available can load .mid files.

14 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, And there are several approaches I would like to tinker with.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/23360/Scc1t2.sf2 Maybe this could be of some use?

1 Like

Midi-Yodi work great with VCV Rack

helio using the vst host perhaps?

1 Like

Put your MIDI file into something hardware first?

1 Like

You could try this: https://github.com/WrongPeople/WrongPeopleVCV It is the most recent midi file player released for Rack I believe… Not in the Library though so you would have to manually add it to your plugin directory.

EDIT: This was added to the plugin Library so it is no longer required to add manually.

5 Likes

Sorry I’m late :slight_smile:

I use loopbe midi, It lets me send midi from my daw into the core midi-cv module

Our Seq++ reads midi files, and is free. Use it, please.

4 Likes

@Vortico you need to get out more often.

1 Like

Excuse me?

Sorry, being silly. I meant if you read my posts here you would know that my sequencer has had the ability to load midi files for quite a while.

ah, the search works good here. Searched for midi file, found this: Squinky Labs Announcements. Updates to Sequencer, and bug fixes in 1.0.6

1 Like

I think the answer of andrew was more than one year ago, at that time have no midi module,

Oh, I guess you are supposed to read things before you respond, aren’t you? Sorry about that. Yes, what Andrew said was certainly true back then. Sorry again.

btw is that sequencer capable to change midi programs? (I m not much sure how mifi programs work)