How to import MIDI files into VCV Rack?

nope, it only sends (polyphonic) CV and gate. of course you can use those to make other “things” happen. There’s also a very simple companion module that turns one polyphonic CV and Gate into multiple gates so you can trigger things like drums easily from it.

1 Like

I did not know that. SO MUCH TO READ! :sweat_smile:

And it works too.

1 Like

Yes, I think the manual apologizes a few times for how long it is :wink:

I’ve been using Seq++ to load midi files, works great for single note melodies. I’ve tried importing a midi file with two or three note chords but only one note is being sent to the vco. Am I missing something ?

What about the STS/RCM Midi File Player Plus? It can load .mid files with up to 16 voices.

2 Likes

hello, did you check if polyphony was set on the modules ?

I did, thanks for the tip though.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, it’s a nice piece of kit, but it’s only sending the most recent note as does Seq++. Perhaps I’m expecting too much for this version of Rack.

Are you setting the output polyphony from Seq++? Is the patch you are sending it to actually polyphonic? Seq++ definitely played chords just fine.

You aren’t expecting too much, but it’s difficult to make your first polyphonic patch. The default patch is fully polyphonic. Why don’t you start there? There are also good YouTube’s on this, and the VCV manual now has a section on polyphony.

1 Like

I would try playing the default patch with a keyboard, making sure to set the polyphony of the MIDI->CV module to something reasonable (like 4). Once that works, add Seq++ to the mix. Set the output polyphony from seq++ and type in a chord. It will play correctly.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve gone back to the default patch, that works. I’m going to use that as a springboard setting and add modules, see where I get to. Thanks again, Much appreciated

Excellent. I can be tough building poly patches. One reason it it’s never completely obvious whether a given module is even polyphonic in the first place. But once you spend a little time puzzling it out it will be clear. I can also help to start out with modules that can provide an entire poly synth in one module. For example the Bogaudio FM-OP. It has its own envelope generator and VCA built in, so it’s super easy.

It was the AS mixers, I use those a lot for the sends. Ended up with this, it does exactly what I want

Yeah, a lot of mixers arent polyh. Mine aren’t.

You know there is a command in the context that will find a clkd and patch and configure it to Seq++.

If you want to use a mono mixer then Stocaudio Spread will take a poly signal and turn it into stereo with cv spread.

edit: clarification

2 Likes

Yes that’s pretty handy

Good shout, those are some nice plugins!

1 Like

I like this player. Does it work with VCR Rack Version 2?