How do I patch multiple signals into one input?

give Synthetic FX Free a look for a quite fun chorus, and if it’s something you like consider if the free version of the modules meets your needs or if you need the paid versions.

There are many ways to deal with this. The most “standard” is a mixer with aux sends - you put the reverb on the aux bus. but you can use multiple mixers.

I think it’s time for you to spend a few days playing with this stuff. No one here learned it all in a single day either.

Oh I definitely am :wink: Not expecting to learn any of this in a single day, just trying to get some insight is all. I’m a big fan of scratching my head and playing a while…I got an Elektron Octatrack for that exact reason lol.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing I think might help

A “vca” (voltage controlled amplifier) is like a multiplier. So a typical network is

Osc -> vca in

Gate -> adsr -> vca cv

This gives you output of “osc * adsr”

Now there’s a couple of types of vca

A vca which takes two inputs (the one called cv is traditionally hooked to the envelope and the one called in to the osc)

Or a vca which takes multiple inputs and mix levels. That’s just a sum of vcas

But if you think of your signal chain as being a bunch of waveforms and a bunch of add and multiply operations it all comes together

Traditionally there have been lower frequency things like adsr and lfo and audio frequency things like oscillators. In a language like csound this is laid bare with control vs audio speed. In rack less so.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Here’s another way to do it that’s very clean. This uses Vult’s Knobs as a mixer+VCA. The first little knob (blue cable) controls the ADSR Envelope Depth, the second little knob (yellow) controls LFO Depth. You can see the triangle wave in the screen print that gets accentuated by a triggered envelope (the spike). Assign that output to the filter CV and you’ve basically got the Roland-style Env modulation and/or LFO modulation on the filter cutoff. Just use the two little knobs to control the depth of each.

EDIT: the other nice thing about this approach is that it’s fully polyphonic if needed.

ADSR%20LFO

8 Likes

Aside from using multiple mixers, you can just put some VCA’s in the signal chain right before your mixer, and wire the adsr into the cv of those instead so you don’t turn down the volume on your reverb/delay tails.

1 Like

What sequencers are you using? Some sequencers don’t start on the first step after resetting them, so you have to reset them while they are running, or wire your main clock’s run output into its own reset input, when it starts it also resets the clock & sequencer at the same time. If you are using a sequencer that starts properly on the first step, and you have Clocked as your clock, you can just wire the clock’s run output to your sequencers‘ run input and hit the run button on the clock. Sorry, I realize a picture might be better, but not at home. Disregard if this doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

This makes sense and worked just fine, thank you!

2 Likes

Trying to set this up now…This might seem silly but where does the output of the oscillator go?

remember the patch you get when you make a new project? Look at that again.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone, i`m new here, i would have a question, i hope you can help me out. I want to use more sequencers with different clocks, with one oscillator. One clock is multipled by 1,5x, and my problem is , that the adsr has no “impact” on some of the voices, i mean on the “0,5x” :). The melody should be smooth, but there is a sharp pluck sometimes in the sequence. What am i doing wrong? Thank you! :slight_smile:

I suppose that’s because your ADSR is clocked with the 1x gate :slight_smile:. My guess would be using a OR logic module. Plug the 1x gate and the 1.5x gate in, and feed the result to the ADSR. It should work if i understood well what you want :wink:

Is it the pitch changing in the middle of the “pluck”?

hey, thank you for your answer! :slight_smile: It was a good idea. I still hear that sharp sound, but not so sharp as before (i hear it more, if i turn up the release knob). But it helped me to understand, what the problem is. Its weird actually, if i turn the release knob down, i hear less sounds (as if it were divided), and if i turn the release knob up, i hear more. I guess its just a simple effect. I wanted to have a fast sequence without sharp edges (smooth attack), but it seems that doesnt work that way :slight_smile: (not monophonic at least)

Hi dag2099, no, the pitch doesnt change, i just hear it sharp (and a bit quieter) between two smooth sounds. But its controlled with the same adsr in the same sequence.

You should look at the out put from your envelop (ADSR) in VCV Scope along with the original gate. Also post a screen shot of it. then we can all visualise what you are doing.

Hey, that`s a good idea, here is a picture, i hope i did it well with the scope :slight_smile:

I can hear some “pluck” sounds (quetly) in the release section, but i can see on the scope. Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Interesting little problem.

I tried to build your patch, because I like to hear to sound to be able to grasp what you are describing. A shared vcv file would have saved me some time, but it’s also good workout for me to build one from your image. :wink:

@Olival_Clanaro mentionned that you use a OR logic, and from what I am seing you have set your logic to AND output. Try OR instead and tell me if it is what you are looking for. With OR now, all change of pitches/notes should be synced with the ADSR gate trig.

Is the pluck more of a click sound? because sudden volume changes will give you a click.

Hi jaynothin, thanks for your help! :slight_smile: Yes i used the AND option, because ive tried the *OR*, but there isnt any difference i can hear. I found it more logical, if i use the AND option, because i want to send both of the clock signals (1x, 1,5x) in the ADSR (1x plus 1,5x, so AND or am i totally wrong with that? :slight_smile: Here is a picture with the OR option.

In the section with red circle i hear in this case two sounds more…