How do I patch multiple signals into one input?

I guess you want something like this…

2 Likes

If there is it would have the same effect of combining both inputs in a mixer or as shown above summed.

Its almost like you want to move the frequency knob while an ADSR is patched… If you were to physically move the knob you would get the effect? Luckily there is a module that allows for that sort of thing in PackOne called Map.

Imgur

that’s it thank you! I’ll play with this a bit later. Right now I’m a bit tuckered out as I’ve been messing in VCV for hours

1 Like

Yeah, Vult Freak filter, it’s in the Vult Compacts plugin I think, it has 3 cv inputs on it, it’s amazing and well worth the price for countless reasons. But for free, just combine your separately attenuated (using a vca-1 or attenuator of your choice) lfo & adsr signals with a unity or sum module like everyone else is suggesting and you get the same thing as 2 cv inputs. you can even modulate the strength of the lfo with the adsr using a vca. And some adsr modules have trigger outs at each individual stage that you could use to have the lfo going off only during the decay/sustain/release portion of the envelope. You can seriously do anything thing you can dream of with this stuff.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve been promised! So you can see why I was utterly baffled that I couldn’t just patch two modulation generators into one CV input…

Still wrapping my head around using attenuators and summing modules and whatever else. I mean I still don’t really get gate stuff? I have to remind myself how it all works every time.

1 Like

Well , with hardware modular you can’t plug two cables in one Hole :sweat_smile:

It’s like mixing audio, imagine having a guitar line, and a bass line, you want to listen to both, you put them in a mixer. Same stuff with CV : you have your lfo, and your ADSR, you want to modulate with both, so you mix them :slight_smile: that’s what we mean by summing.

On a synth, when you press a key, two CV signals are outputed : A V/OCT signal, that will tell the OSC what note to play, and also a gate. The gate usually goes to the amp envelope and triggers it (making you hear a sound). Withouth amp enveloppe you would always hear the oscillator (they always keep droning), but problem is amp envolope is always closed unless trigerred. That’s why you have gate :slight_smile:

Yup i understand that, your best friend is your memory, try to remember how your favorite Synths work, and try to reproduce their signal chain :wink:

5 Likes

maybe this is a possible solution:

the clock or a midi gate triggers the ADSR and the resets the lfo, with the polarizer you set the modulation of the lfo on the ADSR.

1 Like

Here’s I think the solution you want. I have two ADSRs. The first is the overall filter envelope. The second is the LFO envelope. You want the LFO to start later in the note, so there is a (in this case fixed) delay on the gate signal which triggers the ADSR.

The first ADSR just goes into the mixer of the final signal The second ADSR drives the VCA which modulates the LFO For clarity I have shown the two intermediate signals here

I tried to do this all with core modules (I used a little utility clock but that could be any gate source). Another alternative is to use an LFO which has a built in envelope. The surge-rack LFO has a DAHDSR envelope on the LFO itself which responds polyphonically to triggers. This may be more useful to you. Other LFOs may have the same.

Hope that helps!!

1 Like

This is cool and makes sense. I’ll have to screen shot a patch I’ve made, but I have the gate of a sequence going to an amp envelope going to an oscillator and when I stop running the sequence I still hear the oscilator ringing out and I have to turn the mix down… Why might this be?

Edit: Also though I appreciate all the responses, I think we’re overcomplicating the solution to my problem. It seems summing an adsr and lfo makes the most sense to me…

1 Like

I think you need to multiply the adsr and the LFO. Just adding them will leave the oscillator throbbing all the time.

1 Like

Maybe: cutoff-modulation.vcv (25.4 KB)

I did some research and this signal path is essentially correct. :slight_smile: My patch above was simplified as I didn’t use level a level controls mixer.

VCO -> VCF -> VCA

ADSR -> VCF & VCA

MODULATION = MIX of LFO (or other thing) & ADSR

People are trying to tell you - use an adder module (mixer) or a multiplier. Or anything else to combine them. It’s super easy. That’s how people do this.

As it happens, our Stairway filter is a great filter, and it does have two CV modulation inputs, so you can use that if you would like, without having to use another module.

7 Likes

More questions:

Any clones of these modules (besides the mutable instruments one obviously) for download here on vcv rack?

Also, what are your favorite FX modules? I really like a good chorus, phaser, flanger…Already got the delay from alright which I’m loving and the reverb from valley.

I think NYSTHI has some good chorus and/or phasers?

3 Likes

oh, speaking of effects, our “Growler” is like a mutant auto-wah - it’s kind of an effect.

2 Likes

So I figured this out by looking at one of the opening patches…The output of the ADSR module I’m using not only has to go to the filter, but it needs to go to the CV input on the mixer, which I guess makes sense? This is the sort of stuff I don’t conceptually grasp yet.

The Surge modules also have a range of effects

2 Likes

You guys tell me if this seems to make sense…

So after discovering I may want an ADSR output to go into CV input of my mixer channels so that notes aren’t ringing out all the time (unless there’s a better solution), I realized that since the mixer was the last thing in my chain after delay and reverb, I was no longer able to hear the delay and reverb tails anymore! So now the mixer came first, and then it went into delay and reverb. Does this seem reasonable? I guess my audio brain is yelling at me “DON’T GO MIX OUT INTO DELAY AND REVERB” and that’s why it seems funny. Do you guys find yourselves using multiple mixers in patches for situations like this?

Now that I’m messing with using multiple sequencers, what’s the best way to get them both to start and stop at the same time? You know, like pressing the space bar in your DAW lol