General Life Advice

I was reading an article on removing rust with a wire brush attachment for an electric drill. It said “be sure to wear gloves, because you are really going to feel like an idiot when you have to go to the ER for this.” Another Internet post on opening a propane tank that got stuck: “do you really want to risk death just to save the $35 you spent on a tank of propane for your grill”?

2 Likes

Can confirm that this is internationally independent invention.

1 Like

When you’re putting up a big picture, mirror, shelf, etc., don’t (just) use a spirit level because the chances are that the ceiling isn’t level, so your perfectly-level picture will look wonky. Always measure from the nearest “vertical” or “horizontal” surface, and always check it by eye.

3 Likes

Put things back where they’re supposed to go. It will save you many, many hours of hunting for that one item.

1 Like

I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. [Thomas Edison, posted in the A-Z Quotes of today]

3 Likes

Watching VCV Rack: The FREE Modular Synth - YouTube at the moment…

Always prepare, if you want to present something to an audience.

I correct myself, he is getting somewhere and it is actually sounding nice.

2nd correction: Nope. See LifeProTipp above …

“Don’t be a hater” is also reasonably good life advice. He made some nice generative patches, explained what he was doing and had some fun. He isn’t a VCV expert, but he does a lot of patch videos for Voltage Modular etc. Going into his chat and slagging him is pretty poor behaviour. He’s not asking for money.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right - I woke up with that thought and I am very sorry. Maybe another tipp is “Don’t touch any keyboard when drinking” - but that is no excuse for my comment. I apologized in his comments and will be quiet in the future, I am a bloody beginner as well, so who am I to critique someone else…

8 Likes

Stay away from angry men and Trump supporters.

2 Likes

most important life advice from Mr Frank Zappa

7 Likes

OK, Brotha! Who you jivin’ with that cosmic debris?

1 Like

Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?

2 Likes

Don’t ruin fun threads with politics.

1 Like

Stop taking yourself too seriously! Bad for mental and other health! Ability to laugh at self is good advice too, that slots into the initial one…

5 Likes

don’t talk/think about ‘earning respect’. It’s not something to be earned. Respect is what you give. Always and unconditional (although it can be lost).

1 Like