General Life Advice

Anyone have any general life tips, advice, or “hacks” to share? I’ve got two to start with:

• When scheduling a meeting/appointment/date/whatever, immediately lead with a specific time and place. “6pm Thursday at the park?” is far better than “what days and times work for you?”. I find 99% of the time the other person will just say “yes” and you can skip all the back and forth.

• If you are feeling cold, tuck in your undershirt to retain heat

9 Likes

um…

if tired, sleep. if hungry, eat.

7 Likes

Always take the stairs, not the elevator.

Although I did have a fight with my family over this principle once when visiting the Eiffel Tower.

3 Likes

Sorry to be cheesy on y’all, but take care of your ears. If our favorite pass time involves music, the most precious asset we have is not gear nor software, but our unreplaceable and unfixable ears. If I could tell my 15 year old self one thing, that would be it.

28 Likes

Don’t eat the yellow snow.

10 Likes

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I say this very unironically, lemons are super cheap, and lemonade with some sugar (adjust sugar amount to taste) is super good, especially if the weather is hot.

If you feel it and if you have some around,you can also add some drops of Orange or Citrus fruit juice :slight_smile:

Me and my Dad always do some lemonade now whenever it feels hot, and i really like this new habit.

3 Likes

Unless you spilled beer, then always eat the yellow snow.

2 Likes

Never upgrade software during a project. Just don’t.

11 Likes

Never dip the cracker totally in the wasabi, just nip it first and see if you like it!

And +1 on the ears thing… @marc_boule

3 Likes

Indeed, spend 10-20 quid on some decent ear plugs if you go to or play gigs. I didn’t and now have tinnitus but wearing plugs actually makes the music sound better at gigs.

4 Likes

Learn how to roll cables

5 Likes

In the unlikely event of a water landing, your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh here’s another good one. Use toilet paper tubes to manage cables:

17 Likes

If you pour gasoline on cat litter your house will smell bad for some time.

4 Likes

Always go for the constructive side of things. Poop is not worth persisting in sniff at it. P.S. Posts like this one are food for brain!

2 Likes

Stop smoking tobacco, it’s shitty, costs money, a lot of nice people pretend they don’t mind how much it makes you stink. Don’t give up gradually, don’t move to a weaker brand or start vaping. Just stop, you’re not a child.

All that is advice it took me 35 years to process, but at least I got there eventually. Get there too.

oh yes, something about health benefits too…

8 Likes

Were you trying to make your own napalm? Styrofoam works better.

1 Like

3 Likes

If you can just stop smoking, stop. If you can’t, vape instead.

and it’s best to own more than one pair of underpants.

3 Likes

I think it’s more like my 18 year old self the did the most ear damage. I never had earplugs until I started playing in a loud band in 1994. By that time my 18 year old self was long gone. Now I got plenty of ringing. Used to be able hear everything - which trumpet player in the orchestra was out of tune… not now!

3 Likes