Fundraiser: Pure Data for VCV Prototype

In addition a new version of libpd will be out soon, so we’ll update to that soon after it comes out. I’ve made an issue in the github tracker for possible improvements to the libpd engine.

1 Like

if you are familiar at all with MaxMSP do yourself a favor and read about puredatas history and origin.

1 Like

Hi @Aria_Salvatrice, nice question, I will try to put some thoughts, and I hope my english will be understandable enough.

To begin with, I have to admit a singular affection for PureData out of a “scholastic” reason, it was one of the elected development environments of choice, in one of my training facilities, so I basically learned the basics of synthesis, and even broaded a few programming principles, through PureData.

What I find peculiar in PureData is basically the possibility of spreading the layout of logical and communicating objects, it can be a signal flow and it can be whatever else, in practice, it can be basically seen as a means for developing algorithms (yet it’s defined as a multimedia-oriented visual programming language in the first instance).

So a patch in PureData can obviously be understood as a patch in the common sense of synthesizers programming jargon, exactly like a patch layed down and wired with VCVRack, or with other modular environments such as Reaktor. But a PureData patch, as in my opinion, can mainly be intended as an environment for prototyping of an algorithm. So it can certainly be a playground for experimenting with audio signal flow and audio processing, but it can more interestingly be the playground for developing separated control signal logics, and modulation rules out of it.

In practice, PureData in the context of Rack could open users to sort of a “middleware” level - could I say so? - of logical programming and signal processing. In doing this, it has the potential to crosswise expand the already huge chances of experimentation and live interaction so prominent in VCVRack.

Another use that I think promising in the PureData-VCVRack combiné is PureData suitability to accomodate such things as the creation of generative patches, the experimentation of algorithmic compositions, the development of unusual sequencers, and so on.

Finally, there could hopefully be even more room for external interactions, through specific objects for network messaging and graphical rendering, the kind of things Max/MSP is well known for. However, everything is yet to be seen, and as someone with pointy ears said, “Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

10 Likes