Expeditions in Space and Time

On Patchstorage you can put the sample in a WinZip file with the patch. Omri does it a lot. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Ady,

Its the first time I’m using Patchstorage, so I hope the link works:

So you will need to load the included drum sample into the sampler, if its not already there.

For the patch to work, you just need to press the buttons on the pulses module in the top left corner to allow the individual instruments to play. They will each come in on the following bar thanks to the trigger buffer. So everything should come in on time.

Some notes about this patch though, its simply part of a much larger piece I’m working on. The drums are a quick mockup I wrote in different software to get the groove, I needed to record the Moog type bass from VCV, It sounded cool so I shared it. Maybe one day I will actually finish the song and upload it. :grinning:

@DaveVenom here is the Acoustic patch:

Acoustic Sequence01.vcv (8.1 KB)

I deleted all the automation because it took up half the patch and was a mess (plus I couldn’t figure out how I patched it). So its just a loop now, a long loop.

Just unmute the mixer and hit run on CLKD. All the sequencers should be in time, if it sounds off just hit reset and wait a while, the right guitar sound is the left guitar delayed by 10 seconds or so, so just give it time to adjust.

Anyway, thanks so much for the interest. Hope you enjoy them.

1 Like

:rofl: Besides the music itself - I was really curious how on earth that automation was working - watching the video, it didn’t make any sense. Now I don’t feel so bad.

I will probably work on adding my own automation so it can play unattended while I play flute.

Thanks for posting these.

1 Like

Great. Sorry about that. Sometime when I’m working on a patch I’m in the zone and know what everything is doing, and then I open it up again and I’m like. . . WTF?:smile:. Anyway, I just used impromptu sequencers to trigger events. But resetting it all is a bugger. Thanks Dave. I would love to hear what you come up with.

Thank you so much. How many patches will there be to complete the song? I’ll see what NIN inspired material I can get out of it.

1 Like

Computers now have primary control of critical functions. . .

2 Likes

Love it :slight_smile: nice use of well-chosen samples and phtat bass and then the stab/echo … :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks Screenslave. You’ve just made my day. :blush:

My take on Acoustic Sequence #1 is now available at Dave Venom music and patches - Passing a Gray Day Away, and Acoustic Sequence #1 - #72 by DaveVenom.

I’ve really enjoyed working with your patch/composition.

1 Like

Fun with Quantizers

So I was inspired by this post:

to try to create a patch that restricts chords to a certain range. This is as minimal as I can get it:

So this keeps your chords within a one octave range, so if a note goes above the range, it drops it per octave until it is in range. And if it goes below the range, it raises it. You can set the range low cut using the bogaudio REFTONE module. The range high cut is an octave above this. Playing with this can give some interesting variations to your chords.

Here’s the selection file: Voice Leading3.vcvs (13.0 KB)

Thanks to @chaircrusher and @k-chaffin for the inspiration. Its an easy way to quickly add chords within a defined range to your patch. Just replace the TWELVEKEY module with any sequencer providing the root notes. Here is an example:

(Edit. Ignore all of the above. This is exactly what Orange line Fence does. What a great module :slightly_smiling_face:)

Another nice trick I learned is this:

In the context menu of VCV QNT there is a plethora of scales available. But these are all in the key of C. Instead of transposing it after the quantizer, (which will transpose your root notes) , you can use this approach and no notes will be transposed except obviously the ones that need to fit into the scale. (This is actually what modes are.) Set your key with REFTONE and your scale with QNT.

Here’s the selection file Quant1.vcvs (3.6 KB)

And here’s an example switching between A minor and F minor with the sequences mainly in C.

Have fun.

5 Likes

Here’s an addictive little tune, made with the methods described above:

Recollections.vcv (8.7 KB)

3 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

Every now and then you throw together a patch, which is not meant to be anything spectacular, but then you just cant get enough of it.

This is one of those:

The Abyss.vcv (9.1 KB)

7 Likes

Yeah, those are the best. I see you’ve discovered the joys of XFX Wave. Very cool patch, digging it.

1 Like

Thanks, yes XFX wave is instant satisfaction.

The chord sweeps :yum:

1 Like

Something new…

Enjoy.

Here’s the patch:

R2_081d.vcv (11.8 KB)

7 Likes

Nice! Love the bass coming in at 2:15. Has a bit of a John Carpenter vibe which is always nice. Good one!

1 Like

Thanks Lars :slightly_smiling_face:

Another unending Eno-scape.

Just for fun,

here’s the patch:

Enos2.vcv (7.3 KB)

I am really impressed with Count Modulas Polyphonic modules, they use almost no CPU regardless of the amount of channels you use.

7 Likes