Expeditions in Space and Time

Hi All, This seems like the perfect place to share some of my ideas, and maybe even some music someday.

Exponential Delay

Here is an Exponential Delay Unit I’ve been working on:

Here is the strip file: Exponential Delay.vcvss (24.2 KB)

So the idea is a delay that either accelerates or decelerates exponentially. Patch an audio source into “IN” , and route “OUT” to your mixer. Plucks/ hits work best. Adjust the four Vult Knobs to taste. “Time” is the time for the first delay, and “Speed” either increases the delay times(Left) or decreases them(right).

The AS delay units will glitch when adjusting the time/speed setting while there is audio. Also, it’s very difficult to sync this to anything. I’m hoping to make a syncable version soon.

Enjoy, - Auret

5 Likes

Thank you for making this, I will give it a good run out, I am always looking for a great new delay patch/method.

I have made quite a few delay orientated ‘guitar pedal’ emulations in the past. Not sure how useful or successful they have been though.

Have you tried playing with Portland Weather?

It’s a multi tap delay with a few built in patterns including accelerando and retardando .

There’s also an expander where you can easily create your own

1 Like

Cool, thank you, I will definitely check out Portland Weather.

Thanks, I believe anything made in VCV to be useful/successful to some degree. I also find delay effects fascinating.

Good a fellow ‘delay’ spirit is always welcome in my corner of VCV Rack! I have got the set up to work with the FM-OP and a Nysthi Simpler vocal sample. Both work great, although I noticed if you try to alter the Vult Knob from HP to LP the delay signal disappears, not sure why.

Check if the Bogaudio switch is not set to latch. It should be off.

Nice. You can save 5hp as well as a bit of CPU by using one AO-112 instead of two A0-106 modules.

Preserve the Y inputs and right X outputs, as well as all existing formulas. Then in the left column slots 2-6 use Y+C with C=0, so the exponential result from above is propagated down the column, and then passed in as the X value to each of the cells to the right, without any need for X out to X in patching.

Thank you. I originally wanted to use the AO-112 but could not get it to work the way I wanted. But your solution makes so much more sense.

Constantly Moving Stereo Delay

So after "Rack"ing my brain trying to figure this out, I found a simple way to have echoes start at a certain point in the stereo field and then fade out either left or right. The difference between this setup and simply automating a pan module/knob, is that with panning, any new echoes would start wherever the pan position is, so the echoes move together. This way, they are separated, and are constantly moving in the stereo field. Anyway, here is an example, use headphones to hear the full effect:

Just plug your audio and clock in, and send the outputs to your mixer. You can of course throw out the “BPM tools” and replace it with any Attenuverter for a free delay time. It must just sync the 2 delay times. Here is the Strip File: Pan Delay.vcvss (17.8 KB)

Happy Racking!

• Auret
3 Likes

Thanks Auret this does sound great, I’ll play around with it and see what wonders I can perform! Always love the great sounds of a delay!!!

1 Like

Sequencer Based on Time instead of a Clock

I have posted this previously on this forum, but it is nice to keep everything in one place. This is a sequencer that works with time (seconds).

So, say for example, you want your sequence steps to go, 1 sec; 2.5 sec; 0.3 sec; 10 sec; etc. You can just dial these values into the sequencer, and it will play at that timing. You can of course replace the Bogaudio sequencer with whatever sequencer you prefer, as long as it is set to 0 to 10 volts. Negative Voltage will not reverse time. Actually I don’t know what it will do. I like the Bogaudio one because you can add expanders.

Here is the strip file:

Time Sequencer.vcvss (6.0 KB)

The sequencer steps are defaulted to 1 second steps.

Here is an example, (yes, I have been listening to Autechre lately)

Enjoy

• Auret
1 Like

. . . and now for some music:

Tides01

Created in VCV Rack1

Edited / Mixed in Studio One 4

Using a Quantizer to create Polyrythms

So this must be quite obvious to anyone with a music theory backround, but I figured that you can use the same harmonic ratios that chords / intervals have to create polyrythhms if you just transpose them down to LFO rates. So if you assume that your fundamental frequency is quarter notes, then an octave above it will be eighth notes, a perfect fifth will be quarter note triplets, and a perfect fourth would be dotted eighth notes. I haven’t figuring out the rest though.

This only works if your quantizer is set to Just intonation. Things get a bit messy with more than 2 notes(rhythms) playing, so would advise using a clock divider or bernouli gate.

Here is the Strip file if you want to play around with the theory: Quantizer Rythm.vcvss (17.4 KB)

And here is a short demo:

Have fun

• Auret
2 Likes

Thank Auret for continuing to develop these sequencer set ups, do you know if you can sequence delay to work on certain steps of a sequence. Something I have been thinking of but not yet achieved. Not even sure it is possible or what it would sound like.

Hi Ady, yes it’s something I enjoy doing often. I’m sure there are better ways, but this is what I do. Heres a very simple patch:

Only steps 3 and 7 will have delay on. Basically all I’m doing is running the last ADSR in the chain polyphonically, (the constant clock, and the delay steps) and then send them to 2 VCAs. One goes straight to the mixer and the other first to a delay. This setup ensures that any modifications you make to the last ADSR (the one which controls the gain)is the same for both VCAs.

Here’s a different example:

I’ve swapped out the Seq3 with a different sequencer, and the bernouli gate determines which step will have delay on, making it more random. You can replace the bernouli gate with any gate sequencer, a euclidian sequencer or clock divider will give you very interesting results.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Auret, I have a week off, so looks like I’m going to be busy playing with these two methods. Much appreciated.

Here is my submission for this years Day of the Dead

Here is the patch: Desolation.vcv (52.7 KB)

3 Likes

This piece was actually composed for acoustic guitars and bass, but I was curious to hear what it would sound like in VCV Rack. I thought I’d share it.

5 Likes

Warped Tape Effect

So if you want a warped tape effect, run your audio through a delay (chronoblob is perfect, but VCV Delay works well too), 0 Feedback, 100% Wet, and “Bump” the timing every now and then.

Like This:

Warped Tape

I really like the sound. Kind of nostalgic. Reminds me of being a kid listening to my overplayed cassettes.

Heres an example:

The only problem with this though, is that if you are playing live, everything will be delayed.

Enjoy though,

Auret

5 Likes