Could not load patch: Unarchiver could not write file to dir: could not unlink. Help Please

I’m just a regular computer user like you. I let windows do its anti ransomware thing. It’s always going off and blocking my video games, all sorts of stuff.

Windows (and other operating systems) will take away rights from the software you install. You have to fix it or live with it.

You can respectfully disagree all you want - that is your personal decision.

Do I know what this is? Nope:

Do I know what Adobe program is being blocked here, and what the effect is on me? nope:

Do I want to turn off the anti-ransome ware in windows? Do I want to let any program that finds its way onto my computer to have full access to my document? Not really, although I could allow that:

Should I let Startcraft II have access to my documents? eh, I don’t think it’s trying to store anything there that I care about… I’ll let windows continue to block it.

That doesn’t work and never has. You only open a patch by starting Rack and then open the patch from inside Rack. You can argue that it should be fixed, and I’d probably agree, so if you care about it write to VCV support and ask for it to be fixed (again again again…)

You are welcome. I think I had the same issue a couple of months back that was “maybe” triggered off by Windows updates or Defender. Deleting the autosave contents was the only way I found to return Rack functionality. I think this type of problem is due to the patch.json file getting corrupted in some way and since Rack reloads the last patch upon launch via the plugin.json file, the problem re-manifests itself every time Rack is launched. But, in my case, I did have to delete the “modules” folder in the autosave folder as there also seemed to be some module level autosave problem. I can’t remember what module files were in the autosave/modules folder for me, but nornally that folder is empty for me.

I’m glad it worked for you :grinning:

2 Likes

Then we appear to be talking about two different things because if I want to load a project other than the last one I worked on, I just open it from it’s file location in my VCV Projects file. Just did it again now and it works fine?

It works for me also on Windows 11. But, I usually open from within Rack.

I could be wrong, but I think it is a problem on (some) Macs opening from the file explorer (Finder).

Let’s see now… The issue I was having was already solved and it had nothing to do with permissions, but you thought you’d throw that out there anyways. Fine. I can’t recall the last software installation on my desktop that I had to change any permissions for and I certainly didn’t have to do it for Reaper, Ableton, VCV Rack, or any of the numerous VSTs and pieces of software that I use, so my respectfully disagree stands on firm ground. Your comment “you have to give rack “rights” to open documents in your documents folder. Whatever it is you system that is preventing that, tell it not to.” was not very helpful and seemed out of place considering the issue was solved and the cause was something totally different, so that’s part of the reason I disagreed as well. But thanks for trying to help if that is indeed what you were doing, and not just trying t shut me down because I disagreed with you.

I never thought that you couldn’t and it’s just the way I do my Reaper and Ableton projects as well. Ableton mainly because, unlike Reaper or VCV Rack, it will only load your current template as opposed to your last project.

Part of the problem is that some of the bugs can be caused in multiple ways. I’m still not sure what caused my problem that I fixed by deleting my autosave folder. It seemed associated with Windows updates or Defender. But it also appeared to possibly be related to downloading someone else’s patch and/or someone else’s plugin distribution from outside of the library. Or maybe a perfect storm of all three.

I’m inclined to go with that last one you suggest - any one system is just a little bit different and individualized than anyone else’s system, so what goes wrong on mine may not necessarily be a problem for you. Certainly there are best practices that are common between us.

1 Like

Exactly. In closing, I would like to encourage everyone to be more patient with each other. That includes me :wink:

4 Likes

I hate to stir up this hornets nest again, but - I’m getting the same issue and I’m on a Mac. It only happens with some patches, notably ones unzipped with TheUnarchiver. Interestingly, I was able to use a .vcvs file from the same folder with no problem.

I tried deleting the contents of my AutoSave folder and this didn’t help. I did this with Rack running and while Rack was closed. I got the same contents each time; AutoSave folder on the left, bin on the right.

Here’s how I got around it.

I tried unarchiving the files on an external disk and I could open these with no error.

If it would help the devs I can replicate this result and send log files or whatever they need.

I have no special anti-ransomware installed or anything else and no recent system updates.

MacOS Monterey 12.3.1

Rack 2 Free version

1 Like

MacOS prevents some applications for accessing the documents folder. have you checked that?

Not sure how to do that but I’ve had no problems until recently.

OK this is happening again with VCV files that are not unarchived. I copied the file to an external disk (which worked last time) and it’s still happening.
I am on Rack 2.0.6 - could it be because some people are using Rack 2.1.0? I don’t think it’s that because I can open some VCV files and not others from the same person.

may very well not be your problem. But macos does update itself and gets “more secure” sometimes without you knowing or remembering.

What I’m talking about are the applications you see when you go to system preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / then Files and Folders or Full Disk Access.

That said, I don’t run VCV on a mac so I don’t know if one or the other of these would be allowed. Perhaps a mac expert like @LarsBjerregaard knows if either or both of these should allow VCV?

My macOS so old that it’s not near to having any such shenanigans, if indeed they exist. I’ve never had problems like that. I don’t know, I find it a bit difficult to figure out exactly what OP is doing, to what, when and how.

the mean kids at work make fun of me if I don’t update. My mac is my work computer, which is why I have one, but haven’t run VCV on it. It has os “Monterey”, 12.3.1.

Don’t know how well TheUnarchiver works so can’t vouch for that. And why are you “unzipping” (it’s not zip by the way) patchfiles before opening? What’s wrong with just opening the *.vcv files, which is the patches? That’s how you’re supposed to be doing it.

Then why don’t you stick to that?

Ehh… bad idea, why on earth would you do that?

Look, the supported use case is: A patch is a .vcv file and you open it from inside Rack. Do you have any problems with that? If yes, try and describe it exactly, step by step. If no… eh, what’s your problem then? Then you’re just hacking around and asking for help when it doesn’t work and that’s… a waste of time.

There is a bug on at least Windows where the autosave files get corrupted in some unknown way. There are multiple cases where the only way to recover from this was to delete the autosave folder contents. I can confirm that this was the case for me a couple of months ago.

But, I agree that the standard method is to open the .vcv patch files from within Rack. I am unclear what a .vcvs file is.

Edit: Oh yeah, vcvs is a selection file. Why are we talking about vcvs files? As a workaround to not being able to open a vcv file?

.vcvs files are simple text, not compressed. So, they could load even if there is an unarchiver problem.