chrtlnghmstr's Music & Patches

I could say that I travelled to an abandoned 70s Big Science underground super collider installation and played it back on an old Walkman through some vintage Amstrad speakers and then reversed the tape using an original difference engine, but that would be a fib.

I reversed the offline recording in a sample editor (Amadeus Pro), then applied a small plate reverb to that (using ValhallaDSP VintageVerb, mixed about 20%, with a pre-delay of 100 ms and time of 1 second or so), bounced that, then reversed it again (so it was playing the right way around again) and then applied the plate reverb again, only around 5% mixed in this time. Then a tiny bit of EQ and compression to smooth off the edges. And violin! (As they say in France.)

So ‘violin’ in France as they say indeed! So it was case of applying more reverb to a reversed version if I understand your ‘hamster like’ mind!? ValhallaDSP vsts are rather jolly good but the 1970s version would be a rather more authentic, if impossible possibility!

What’s a Difference engine, I got the Walkman reference, still got a few of those! That, that Babbage contraption?

1 Like

Yes. More reverb to the forward version of the reversed one, backwards. Er.

Correct. Feast your brain nodes…

these vocal patches work very nicely with a microphone. re-routed the front end Voice Aaa Uluru for v2 31.05.22.vcv (2.7 KB)

• sure there is a more elegant way to analyze and control the signal input. thanks for putting this work up here.
1 Like

Wow. That’s really clever. Never thought of using an input to trigger the vocal sound. :slight_smile: You might want to check the modules in the VCV Library that have been tagged “Visual” to help find a module to analyse the input. Thanks!

1 Like

Scary choir. Just an experiment in seeing how band pass filters set at certain frequencies make vocal sounds.

Hold down a middle or low C and slowly move the Harmonics knob on the Macro Oscillator 2 (Plaits) clockwise.

Sounds good through a hall reverb.

scary choir.vcv (1.9 KB)

1 Like

oohh that’s good. Reminds me of this;

1 Like

Thanks for making this patch, very atmospheric and truly scary in a creative manner.

Plucky bass guitar made using a few Audible Instruments modules. Play lowish for best effect.

The four rightmost segments in the Segment Generator are creating an ADSR envelope which is negatively modulating the Frequency parameter of the Tidal Modulator 2, and that then modulates the Damping parameter of the Resonator, effectively opening and closing the bass “string”.

Might seem weird to pass the ADSR that way, but as the Tidal Modular 2 is receiving some other modulations, the envelope passed on to the Damping is a bit wobbly-er.

Also, some sample and held voltages from the Random Sampler are slightly affecting the bass sound each time a note is played.

Enjoy!

Bass Ring Tides.vcv (2.0 KB)

1 Like

A woodwind-y, bassoon-y, clarinet-y thing. Play mid-to-low notes for best effect. Kind of similar to the Claxifone patch way up this thread, but done using Audible Instruments Modal Synthesiser (aka Mutable Instruments Elements, sort of) which has taken me a long time to warm to.

Enjoy!

Clariboe.vcv (1.8 KB)

1 Like

Your very own numbers station.

Codes.vcv (2.1 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much for these patches, you always deliver the most weird and wonderful patches! You deserve to have a free holiday in a Koto rehab centre. Release your inner tension and drift away to the smoothing sounds.

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Kotos have melted.

O h bugger, u let them outside didn’t u, without any water!! I thought you were a shining exemplar of Koto kindness!!! I’m very disappointed!

1 Like

That bass sounds just like my Fender Jazz bass :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simple little polyphonic electric piano thing made by shoving two Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator 2s (Plaits) through an Audible Instruments Meta Modulator (Warps). Pull / push the levels of the SUMs to affect the distortion. Enjoy.

lektrik.vcv (1.6 KB)

3 Likes

A little experiment using various Audible Instruments and Alright Devices modules to make an interesting (to me at least) filtered sequence thing. Enjoy.

earworm.vcv (3.1 KB)

1 Like

A silly four steps drum machine created by having Stages modulate a Plaits. Enjoy!

plaits drummer.vcv (2.1 KB)

1 Like

Fiddled around with it and it made me smile more than once.

1 Like

I had to read that twice. :wink: Thanks!