Befaco Announments Thread

v2.6.0

• Octaves VCO
    • Initial release
  • Misc
    • Better default values for ADSR and Burst

11 Likes

Poly PonyVCO and Burst were both a big yay!

Now the Octaves as well. Nice!

And extra compliments for the to-the-point module naming.

2 Likes

Octaves has a wicked amount of aliasing. Is that intentional? Looking on a scope it looks like the waveforms have the telltale spikes indicating antialiasing has been applied. I can also see the band limiting on an analyzer. But it doesn’t seem to be controlling the aliasing. Or maybe that is what “A harsh and funky take of an additive Oscillator.” means? Does the hardware sound similar when isolating the highest frequency output?

1 Like

Hi Dave, it’s certainly not intentional! There is oversampling in place but on reflection I think the default setting (x2) is not sufficient. I had experimented with ADAA for the implementation (effectively each square sums with a hard clipper between each sum), but didn’t get satisfactory results.

The hardware is analog (triangle core into comparator) so will not alias but it does sound incredible harsh (especially when base frequency is high). But there is (tonal) harsh and (atonal) aliasing and clearly the first is what is desired. I’ll certainly revisit the default settings, but also look at if the antialiasing can be improved otherwise. At x8 oversampling the CPU is 6% on my machine which feels high, so maybe x4 is a compromise.

Green naive, pink x4 oversampling. (currently default is x2 oversampling, not shown)

If you or others are interested, could we continue in the dev thread? Befaco modules development blog - #234 by hemmer

2 Likes

v2.7.0

• Midi Thing VCV Bridge 2
    • Initial release - VCV Bridge turns MIDI Thing v2 hardware module into a device that can recieve up to 12 channels of CV from VCV Rack
    • Module sends CV using pitch bends, and has limited temporal resolution (i.e. use for CV signals but not really audio)
    • Documentation here
  • Octaves VCO

10 Likes

MIDI Thing V2 Hardware has now been released :tada:, demo video below:

6 Likes

Well done sir!

2 Likes