Befaco Announments Thread

Yes, I think it should still look like the original, I thought more like an invisible overlay over the area, with the switch being animated when clicked above or below…

I think the coolest solution would be if the symbols were clickable and the switch moved accordingly to give visual feedback, but maybe difficult to realise. As an alternative it would also be cool if the symbols would light up when clicked, but again might be misleading about the hardware module.

1 Like

Hi hemmer, I was bugging you on github earlier, and now I have another question related to Muxlicer. (or maybe someone else who has the hardware can answer!)

Is there no way to reset the internal clock with a pulse? I tried to use the “reset/one shot” input but it seems not to work instantaneously, but instead wait for the next internal clock pulse. It seems the emulation is very accurate, but can this really be how the hardware works?

If neither the clock input nor the reset/oneshot input is instantaneous, there is no reliable way to start the module in time with the outside world?

I really wanted to get this module but now I’m not so sure…

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the vanilla sequencer resetting after 7 steps, where as the befaco plays all 8 and resets after the 8th step.

I’ll need to test more, but this at least is the same on the hardware - i.e. the reset input/button ‘queues up’ a reset for the next clock tick. This is indeed different behaviour to Seq-3. So in your picture, the gate on step 8 says “on next tick start at beginning”. In this scenario, if you want a 7 step sequence, you should use gate out on step 7.

I don’t know, but I think part of the reason that the hardware works this way is due to having clock mult. Clock div is easy (you just skip every Xth tick), but mult requires running averages of tick durations. It’s useful to hold a mental model Muxlicer is always continuously updating its clock using “clock in” as a tap tempo source - you can give it instructions (e.g. fire a one shot) that will kick off on the next tick.

Is there a specific use case you’re thinking of?

1 Like

Thanks again for your help. I was pretty sure you had accurately simulated the behavior of the hardware, but I guess was just in denial about the design.

Unfortunately it is impossible to sync a muxlicer with a conventional sequencer so that both of their first steps start and play simultaneously, which seems like a basic necessity to me. However, i found that if you reset the other sequencer with the first gate of the muxlicer, they will line up when the muxlicer eventually starts so it’s not a complete loss.

Anyway thank you for the confirmation!

Version 2.1.0 is now in the library. :partying_face: This was a bit of a monster update to get over the line, but very happy with the end result. The main update is Noise Plethora, but there are some bugfixes in there too.

In other “life” news, Very soon I’m about to become a father for the first time so will probably be a little bit less responsive for the next wee while (i’ll still be around now and then). I’m looking forward to soothing the baby to sleep with some freaky noise algorithms such as satanWorkout. :japanese_ogre:

Changelog:

Noise Plethora
    Initial release
Chopping Kinky
    Upgraded to use improved DC blocker
Spring Reverb
    Added bypass
Kickall
    Allow trigger input and button to work independently
EvenVCO
    Fix to remove pop when number of polyphony engines changes
Muxlicer
    Chaining using reset now works correctly
32 Likes

That’s amazing, thanks so much! And congrats! All sorts of noise can be great for helping babies sleep so Noise Plethora will come in handy for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations Papi and Mami too, of course :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you and congratulations!

1 Like

Congatulations to the impeding birth! May all go smooth and quickly!

v2.2.0

Stereo Strip, in collaboration between DivKid and Befaco, has been added to VCV Rack. Some details/notes:

• it is polyphonic so you can do neat stuff like have 16 voices all with different panning/levels
  • VCV is more standardised about voltage so e.g. (almost?) all VCAs close at 0 V and open fully at 10 V (the volume knob decal dots have been removed to avoid confusion)
  • the line level / eurorack level conversion doesn’t make sense in VCV, but I’ve kept the black switches as +6dB input boost and -6dB output cut.
  • there are a couple of things in the right click context menu
    • change panning law between equal power and linear, and linear clipped
    • option to disable soft clipping
    • option to toggle DC filter
  • the mute switch is clickless (slight vactrol like decay), and also supports the momentary behaviour
  • the soft clipping behaviour is there but might exhibit slight differences from the hardware

Happy wiggling!

DivKid (Ben) is planning a VCV specific video for the module at some stage too!

ps: I worked on this back in November, hardware production delays mean it’s only just seeing the light of day :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Great work hemmer, thanks a bunch! And thanks DivKid and Befaco!

I assume that requires polyphonic CV? Or is there a way through the UI to set different pans on different channels?

Indeed, ML modules cloner (using spread) is one such way.

1 Like

v2.3.0

PonyVCO, a Thru-Zero Wavefolding VCO/LFO, has been added to VCV Rack. Some details/notes:

• optional modifications relative to the hardware version include DC correction for pulsewave, pulsewidth clamping, and AC coupling for TZFM input (see context menu)
  • octave and waveform switches are “playable” (can be dragged)

Also in this release:

• EvenVCO - Optionally remove DC from pulse wave output
  • StereoStrip - Address high CPU usage when using EQ sliders

Coming up in v2.4.0, next release:

• MotionMTR release
  • Minor Muxlicer improvements

see dev thread for details!

20 Likes

v2.4.0

• Initial release of MotionMTR, CV and audio utility / realtime visualiser (collaboration between Robin Vincent and Befaco)
  • Muxlicer - Fix gate labels and improve docs (thanks @DaveVenom )
  • PonyVCO
    • Fix NaNs when TZFM input is used at very high sample rates
    • Fix pitch wobble when disconnecting TZFM voltage source

15 Likes

v2.5.0

• Burst
    • Initial release
  • Voltio
    • Initial release
  • PonyVCO
    • Now polyphonic
  • Misc
    • Fix trigger inputs to follow Rack voltage standards (Kickall, Muxlicer, Rampage)

See development thread for Octaves VCO beta!

29 Likes

I absolutely love it that Burst made it to the VCV. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Woo PonyVCO as polyphonic! Looking forward to PonyVCF.

1 Like

Much appreciated!

1 Like