Basic workflows for Ambient Generative Patches?

Ok…so after a loooong fascination with modular but being completely freaked out even looking at it, I have now downloaded this and been messing around.
Perplexed isn’t the word.

My Microbrute seems like a child’s toy now.

Is there a basic “workflow” to create ambient, generative patches?
I’m thinking of a basic step guide to then learn and build from if that makes sense.

2 Likes

watch @Omri_Cohen videos like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsyUMtM0Ww

6 Likes

Welcome in the commuunity!

I might suggest LUCA CRISI patches also. Those are quite simple (in terms of plugins used), MODULAR CURIOSITY, VCV RACK IDEAS and of course PATCH STORAGE from where you can download tons of cool patches you can study!

And @jeremy is too humble to say he’s got his YT channel… JEREMY WENTWORTH! :wink:

3 Likes

Wow…I wasn’t expecting replies so quickly…thanks!!!

Ok these all look great (Jeremy you’re channel looks great!).
Think I have some learning to do! Fortunately I have now dedicated today to learning as much as I can…as if I’m going to be an expert by the end of the day or something.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Cheers, Jeremy!

1 Like

Awesome!! Thanks!!
It’s a good job I’m not in work the next few days…

1 Like

My problem is that I see the videos, and they use a hundred million wires, and modules without really explaining anything. Oh, another issue is that if people are going to do videos make the transparency of the cables to 100% opaque.

Omri_Cohen has a fantastic video series that I am learning from though I need to crawl before I walk before I run and so many videos out there (from other creators) start off fast walking or flat out running. Basically most of the videos on YT for this stuff are refuse if a beginner or you need to see where a cable connects in it because they use transparent cables, grrrrrrr.

go to patchstorage and download some patches an see how it work

i specially recommend @tinyvcvpatches patches since is tinny, easy to understand and beauty https://patchstorage.com/author/tinyvcvpatches/

also you could download some of my so called ambient but it require premium modules and external vsts

1 Like

Thanks for that because it is really hard trying to follow these vids as I said. edit: I forgot to add another issue is some modules are not for 1.x so I learned quickly to make sure all are updated and available or skip it.

1 Like

WOW, see this is what I am talking about - Tiny VCV Rack patch n°11 | Patchstorage That is flat out black magic to me. No explanation of what is doing what or how it is doing it.

I understand envelopes, and voltages, ADSRh but that? No. Must have pixies in it.

1 Like

yes, is a genious

Take a reverb and send it into another reverb. From there into a delay and then into another reverb. Pretty big ambient. :laughing: Joking! @Omri_Cohen will show you the way to ambient enlightement.

1 Like

I was a VCV-newbie some 2 months ago, I am a long-time musician with what I thought was a good understanding of synthesis but more than Pitch into OSC into VCA and then some LFO/Envelope-Modulation was not possible in VCV for me. Then I watched all videos of @Omri_Cohen, where he builds patches. The hardware-to-VCV-Videos did the trick for me (DFAM, TB303, Subharmonicon), i am now addicted to VCV. Just put the video on a second screen or on your mobile device and rebuild the patches from scratch, that will give you a much better understanding as downloading the complete patches. After that, you most likely need to understand the concepts of probability (Turing Machine, Chances, Euclician Sequencers, Sample&Hold to Pitch Information, etc.). Then combine both (building Synth-Voices and sequencing them randomly) and you are ready for ambient self-generative VCV-Lovelyness. P.S. And if you are really into it, Omri has a paid starter course for VCV.

3 Likes

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Most of my videos are not really beginner friendly but I like to think that I still spend time explaining what’s important in each video so also people who are not total beginners but still somewhat starting their journey with synthesis can follow along. Did you watch my beginners videos? There are only a few, maybe 5, but I go through some of the building blocks and this might help you - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiECaNQx239s0Z1WmH5jQAcEZf3mLLHnX Have a look also at Learning Modular, he has many useful videos that explain so much - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPJXCV7wux1v9J8Auuf2z7g He has a course also for beginners, but it’s also aimed for beginners to Eurorack so there’s also information about power and noise and such. Still, it’s very useful. And anyway, don’t feel ashamed or afraid to ask questions, there are many people who would love to help you out, even for so called ‘basic’ stuff like ADSR and such. This community is very supportive and super helpful. And don’t forget, this should be fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

This be known as ‘rings into clouds’ amongst modular synthesists. It is somewhat (in)famous :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yours are far more beginner friendly than the rest I watched. I have watched a ton of your vids and find them the easiest to follow, but I am a sort of person that I need to know what is doing what and why it is doing it (I really do read manuals) before I feel comfortable in it (whatever it may be). This is the problem with VCV.

@mosphaere This is the problem as I only have one screen so the best I can do is put something in theatre mode and do lots of alt-tabbing with VCV semi minimized. Works but where it gets hairy is when the content creator doesn’t make their cable 100% opaque as transparency is BAD when trying to see where cables are going.

1 Like

I will search those terms.

As Nik said, this patch is pretty common style of patch.

Let’s break it down. I’ll assume a certain basic knowledge here, but let me know if we need to start a little simpler.

The concept: generate random notes at random times, making a resonator play sounds, passing that through some effects that also vary over time.

Note: with this type of patch you often want to control the randomness, and keep it within limits… “controlled randomness”.

Rampage

Rough overview of Rampage: It generates envelopes. The envelopes can be used as control voltage, and also result in triggers. They can be patched to other modules or to Rampage itself. It has two sides, a left and a right, and each produces an envelope. The knobs below IN A and IN B influence the shape of an envelope. Each RANGE switches effects the duration of an envelope. The sliders RISE and FALL sliders control how long it takes the envelope to reach its peak and return. The CYCLE switches determine if an envelope only happens once, or repeats.

When you first open this patch Rampage won’t do anything. Something needs to tell rampage to play. In general, that is done by using the TRIGG buttons/inputs towards the top of the module. Since nothing has been patched into the inputs, we need to manually click the TRIGGs to fire the triggers.

What happens then? Let’s take a closer look at the left side of Rampage first. The OUT A is patched to Texture synthesizer’s (aka Clouds) TEXT. So the left envelope is adjusting the texture setting of Clouds. The left CYCLE button is set to repeat, so once the envelope is done, it starts again. The left FALL CV is patched from OUT B, so the right envelope is adjusting the value of the left FALL. The left EOC (end of cycle) causes a trigger to fire when the left’s envelope finishes. It is patched to a sample and hold S&H. It is also patch to the STRUM of Resonator (aka Rings). More about those other modules soon, let’s finish with Rampage.

The right side also creates an envelope when triggered. The right CYCLE switch is set to repeat, so when the envelope finishes, it starts again. As mentioned before, the OUT B is patched into the left FALL CV, so it is changing the speed of the fall of the left envelope. That means the time it takes the left side to finish an envelope is changing; that in turn means the time between EOC is varying. And because the left EOC is patched to Ring’s STRUM, that means a note is played irregularly.

The right EOC is patched to a second sample and hold in the S&H module.

S&H

The S&H module has two sample and hold sections. When a trigger is received in a section the S&H picks a random value, which is output through the OUT jack. The module has be configured for values in the range 0-3V, so three octaves.

The top sample and hold is trigger by Rampage’s left EOC. The top output of S&H is patched into the JW quantiser, and from there into Ring’s V/OCT. So it is controlling the note that gets played by Rings. That left EOC is also patched into Ring’s STRUM, so it is triggering Rings at the same time it’s telling the S&H to get a new value that is used as a note.

The lower sample and hold is patched into Clouds’ POS. So Clouds gets a new POS value each time the right envelope of Rampage ends.

Resonator (aka Rings)

We’ve already covered how Rings is triggered via its STRUM input, and how the note value comes into V/OCT. Rings is configured to Sympathetic strings through its context menu. The outputs of Rings (ODD and EVEN) are patched into Clouds’ IN L and IN R.

Texture synthesizer (aka Clouds)

Clouds receives audio into IN L and IN R from Rings. Clouds is in granular mode, set via the context menu. The texture is being changed by Rampage’s left envelope. The position changes in response to a random value triggered by the end of Rampage’s second envelope.

The output of Clouds then goes to the audio device through the AUDIO-8 module.

4 Likes

Hi!

my advices would be to:

• really understand what goes where and why and with what voltages. Make heavy use of VCV’s Scope to visualize them. Fixed voltage inputs (from e.g. Nysthi) are great helpers, too, to see how modules react.
  • Do patch along with Omri’s or "VCV Rack Idea"s stuff, even if you don’t exactly understand what’s happening. Take your time while doing that, divert from what they’re doing and find out where it takes you.
  • In the above tinyvcvpatches, Rampage and the Texture Generator are quite deep modules and yes, powered by fairy dust. Play with them, the dust will be at your command :slight_smile: Also: Manuals
  • within the topic of the original thread here: find out, as a task of sorts, how to break free from a clock’s rigid structure to create, say, more free-flowing ambient gate signals. Aka search term “Random”

And have fun!

2 Likes