Al's Rack Patches

:grinning: Definately SCIFI, I was thinking Total Recall 3, or something… Killer sequence coming in at the midpoint, wonderful. It’s quite the quirky piece but I actually really like it. Different, interesting, nice. Well done!

1 Like

Suntropy - VCV Rack patch

5 voices driven by two linked Entropia sequencers from Geodesics, quantised by ML modules Quantum. Main sequencer voices are BogAudio’s FM-OP’s, then we have a pair of Squinky Saws, semi-randomised by a Bernoulli gate into a couple of ADSR’s to pulse them. On the bass we have XFX Wave viking waveform through XFX F-35 filter, modulation fed from one of the Entropias. Finally on treble we have a quantised output from Alan Turing into a fast delay.

Transposition /key change from the SS-2 switch into ML’s Constants.

Everything fed through Valley’s Plateau. Bicycle scope graphics provided kindly by Vult, this must be one of the first patches where I’ve not actually used one of their finer modules.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your works with us, sounds really nice! I have subscribed to your YouTube channel, looking forward to more in the future!

1 Like

Great patch Al! Love those sequences, great sounds too. Feels like a very complete piece, lovely feel to it. Well done!

1 Like

Rediscovering Steve Hillage

This one features voices from Squinky Saws, Even VCO’s, FM-Ops, Animated Circuit’s Slic, Turing Machine gently tickling the V/Oct of the versatile Macro Osc2 via one of the 4 Quantum modules. All the favourites are there. Vult’s Caudal & Sample and hold feeds random select volts into the Quantum transpose input. Plateau provides bags of ambient reverb goodness.

2 Likes

Thanks Lars!

Thanks - glad you enjoy!

I see one of my fellow rackers has beaten me to it, but I was working on probably my first non-musical construct with VCV Rack after watching the gripping and haunting series, Chernobyl. This short piece is an atmospheric soundscape picturing a windswept abandoned wreck of a town with metallic objects clattering in the background, dysfunctional sirens resonating in the air and the insidious clicking of a geiger counter, provided by Count Modula Burst Generator. Wailing sirens run from Count Modula’s binary sequencer with amplitude set very low. Valleys Plateau excels itself with eerie atmospherics.

1 Like

Heres my simple VCV rack rendition of Hans Zimmer’s fabulous Time used for Inception.

It uses 6 sequencer tracks for polyphony on strings (Saws, four FM-ops and two Slic voices.

Uses two Impromptu Phrase-seq-16’s for piano and melody, BogAudio’s 8FO does most of the VCF filter modulation, and two Audible Instruments Macro oscillators add tot he melody parts.

To do this amazing piece of music the credit it deserves would require far more voices than my poor mac can handle.

2 Likes

Machine - VCV patch breakdown

7-voice patch sequence broken down into its constituent parts with a little descriptive text to show how it was all put together.

2 Likes

Thanks Al!

Patch breakdown - SpaceChording

10 different voices going on here, I was aiming for gentle, rich ambient layers of chords and a nice interaction between 2 sequencers, sequential switches and quantisers.

2 Likes

Really nice breakdown, wonderful music Al!

1 Like

Short test video on VCV Rack 1.1 trying out the Stoermelder CV map module in a simple patch over a pair of chained Quantums fed via Geodesics Entropia sequencers.
CV Map allows you to put a cv onto any knob on any module. Here its using the Bogaudio LFO to modulate the offset of the Dual Attenuverter into macro oscillator to get more of a human-sounding synth solo part.

2 Likes

Nice! I like what you can do with CV Map :slight_smile:

Settling into VCV Rack1 now, with loads of help from Omri Cohen’s excellent and inspiring patch builds. Here’s a multi-sequence polyrhythmic patch featuring many of my favourite voices, sequencers, quantisers and filters, and a tiny bit of midi-map modulation on previously untwiddleable knobs. Hope you enjoy.

2 Likes

Espen’s earlier fabulous quad-quantum patch and Dieter Stublers quantum transpose method were influences on me putting this patch together - thanks for the inspiration. The Geodesics Energy unit is heavily modulated via umap and LFO’s, it shares the solo spot with Bogaudio’s FM-OP for the recursive sequences., switching between voices using ML’s Sequential Switch which also feeds in a tone drop into the entire sequence every 64 beats. Background lushness from a pair of Basals and Squinky Saws.

5 Likes

Awesome ! i love it ^^

1 Like

Thanks Valentin! Its a great little trick to get some really nice evolving sequences.

That’s cool Al!