Al's Rack Patches

I enjoyed listening to your Ion-Exchange. I like it!

1 Like

Very nice path Al, I enjoyed that one! How do you keep your volume up? Do you post-process in a DAW, using some limiting or compression?

1 Like

Thanks Lars, no post-processing, its just a direct screen recording to a mov file then uploaded to youtube. I just keep an eye on the VU-meter for vol levels and balance out the volume for the different voices accordingly, although I think the screen recording built into the Mac has some level of compression in it.

Watching a recent patch from Lars I had a play with the Valley Topograph firing 3 macro oscillators and accidentally ended up with a bit of a Bangra beat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s Alun, a late night patch using Skylight’s Turing Machine through a couple of Quantums. We also have Animated Circuits’ Cosmic, Even VCO, two Squinky Saws and Resonator + Macro Oscillators from Audible to complete the sound generation.

2 Likes

Fairly simple little VCV rack patch using 4 oscillators or sound sources, each modulated via a tri-lfo, and a lot of ping pong echo going on.

4 Likes

Lovely tune, great sounds, I really like this one Al! Very nice use of delays and reverb.

1 Like

I have been playing with Amalgamated Harmonics Galaxy module this evening,
A bit of a gentle late night departure showing the lovely chord sequences generated by the Galaxy module, triggering 4 Basal oscillators and two Squinky Saws, with melody provided by the macro oscillator, driven by Stellare’s Turing Machine. Really loving the lush slow chords on this.

I have another short video on the Galaxy used as an arpeggiator - what a great musical module it is!
1 Like

Final restful ambient patch trilogy featuring Galaxy chord/mode module.

With help from Squinky saws on the string section, Dexter for church organ, a couple of FM-ops for the treble melody, and some tastefully tuned envelopes & filters, all gently oozing through Valley’s Plateau reverb. BogAudio ADSR’s are used through VCA’s to control the modulation of the Vult filtered on most voices. Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/H8S2yMvpmZQGalaxy3.vcv (43.6 KB)

3 Likes

Very nice Al

1 Like

A bit more upbeat, this ones got 3 fm-ops providing the chord sequence through stereo delay via BogAudio Mute8, its got an unused LFO I forgot about, its got Alan Turing feeding a Quantum into Even VCO triangle wave into an ADSR and slew unit, its got a Bernoulli gate triggering macro oscillator through the marvellous Lindenberg Alma filter for a wobbly didgeridoo bass sound, it’s got Squinky saws into constants modulated by AS Tri-lfo, its got autodafe drum section, loads of delays and of course Plateau. But most off it all, it;’s got the 16-step gate sequencer from Aepelzens, and now its also got you.

3 Likes

I added a seq-3 and used the channels to make the 3 FM-Op’s change pitch to form a chord sequence.

Its a good platform for exploring compositions, relatively easy to change the rhythm patterns and the chord notes individually.
2 Likes

Very energetic! :smiley:

I like this one too! :smiley:

Thanks Jim!

Eaststar consists of 3 voices;

1. Pair of Squinky saws, fed from AH Galaxy (C Dorian mode), the second one (Set to Oct3) going through Omri’s bernoulli gate octave shifter suggestion, to add a few alternate higher notes, both through slow-set adsr and Tangents filter from Vult
  2. Audible Instruments Resonator selecting one of 3 Galaxy note outputs via sequential switch, the Galaxy set to C Dorian mode,
  3. Entropia sequencer feeding BogAudio FM-OP via Quantum, FM-op using own in-built ADSR envelope. Modulation of Saws and Tangents via AS Modules Tri-LFO. Background chords feeding into Valley’s Plateau. The Galaxy units are responsible for providing the lovely modal chord changes that form the framework of the piece. Hope you enjoy! Eaststar.vcv (33.2 KB)
3 Likes

Loving this Eaststar patch, its beautiful. That FM-OP arpeggio is awesome sounding, and cool how you got the Quantum notes to fit with the Galaxy chord changes perfectly. This Galaxy looks so interesting, I can see you are setting the root note & mode, and sending a gate to change chords, but is type of chord it plays next random? And are all the led’s under each type of chord inversions of each other? I need to check this thing out…

1 Like

Thanks Adi, its a very musical module, I’m using it in chord mode not key, and allowing root, 1st and 2nd inversions. That way all the chords generated stay in the chosen Dorian, which gives me the sound I was after. You can get different influences depending on which combination of the 6 outputs you use to feed your sound generators. This from AH’s GitHub:
“Galaxy is a semi-random chord generator. The arms of the galaxy are chord qualities (i.e, Major, Minor, Major 7, etc). The stars in each arm are specific chords, starting with C close to the galactic centre and ascending chromatically to B at the edge of the galaxy.”

1 Like

Watching Omri’s latest excellent livestream - Quantum Multiverse - triggered the usual shedload of ideas, this fairly simple little patch explores the transposing of ML’s indispensable Quantum module by S&H its’ own output. 3 voices supplied by BogAudio’s FM-OP fed from Entropia sequencer, Macro Oscillator and a couple of Squinky saws - a winning formula to my ears.

quantum_shifting.vcv (30.6 KB) I’m thinking a small drum track could be added here to drive the tempo a bit…

1 Like

This little number is imaginatively called Wavetable wobble - a bit of a departure for me and my usual chordal arpeggio ambient chiming stuff. Trying to get more of a fruity modulated bass thing going here, from the Macro Oscillator and Blamsoft’s F-35 filter, with a slightly crazy solo via Turing into FM-OP and Debriatus from Vult. Hope you enjoy!

4 Likes