AdiQ patches/music

Made a patch after I rationalized the purchase of the Creative Suite by Stellare Modular, mainly for this one module “Nomlia” so I could make generative chord progressions on the fly a bitter easier. I love how you can see the note name and the different run modes. I thought I was going to like Azular, the gate sequencer, but honestly, the individual gate channels need their own separate probability calculations imo, or at least the option, otherwise I might as well just use the Gate-Seq-64 or a bunch of Bernouilli gates. Can’t wait to try the precision adder/subtractor. Love this suite so far, and even though you can probably do these types of functions combining free modules, the designs are very convenient and doesn’t hurt they look great too!

Also blacked out all my modules after downloading the dark Bog Audio suite, probably poorly, because I have no clue how to make the fonts white. Hope I didn’t offend anyone, I just think it would be cool if all modules should have this dark option built into their context menus like Geodesics does.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the music, its a bit cinematic with the help of a few Host-FX(Valhalla Delay, Vintage Verb, & Shimmer) modules.

6 Likes

Beautiful as always Adi! Our musical sentiments seem quite synchronized at the moment :slight_smile: Creative Suite looks really full featured and interesting, maybe I should invest in it…

1 Like

Thanks Lars! I just had a listen to yours, loved it, so now I see what you mean, yeah I’m totally digging a cinematic vibe lately!

Definitely check out the Creative Suite, and if you haven’t yet, browse through Omri’s live stream video first, because the manual doesn’t really go into any patching applications. Even after watching that, I wasn’t sure I needed it other than they look cool and that precision adder doesn’t exist as a free module. But then I got this idea to use Galaxy and Hot Tuna to extract some of Galaxy’s chords but discard those I don’t like, and Nomlia helps me do that in about 2 seconds by just writing down what Galaxy played and dial the note names and inversions in quickly in whatever order I want. My next move is probably using this sequencer with Geodesics Fate and/or CV-Map to change notes or even play modes to evolve the sequence. Have a good one sir!

1 Like

I like this patch very much Adi. And that technique with Galaxy-Nomlia sounds interesting, I might have to try that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Paul, I’m glad you enjoyed it! Let me know if you end up trying the Galaxy to Nomlia thing, or if you have any other cool ways to get chords going, this is probably the most challenging thing for me in Rack or even in a regular daw without music theory knowledge. But I think if I can hear a few together that are in key quickly without thinking much like you can with Galaxy, I can just pick a couple of them and get back to sound design.

2 Likes

That’s my problem too :wink: I guess Riemann might also be worth looking at from this perspective.

1 Like

Not sure how I missed this message originally. Yeah I would love to try Riemann to see what it comes up with, really hoping Southpole comes back soon:)

A little modular house number… Thanks for listening, and I hope you enjoy!

Some thoughts:
8Face is a game changer for sequencing note changes or complicated knob combos to change your sound. Would be crazy if it slewed between presets, but that’s asking too much lol. My only complaint with 8Face is that when I use voltage to step through the presets it takes about 20% of my resources, so using a trigger to step in order is the only option at this point.
Fate is genius and so simple to use. If you have two different sequences already playing two separate voices, and you need to create slightly different notes quick for a third voice, then you can recycle and blend them in a semi-random way. This saves so much time and creative energy when patching!

6 Likes

Very cool Adi, impressive arrangement!

1 Like

Lars thanks so much, glad you liked!

Oh, @AdiQ , your music is really cool. It inspires me. Tell me, how much time a day do you devote to vcvrack?

1 Like

Can you elaborate this a bit more? I will look into it if there is something wrong…

1 Like

Thanks so much @Evgeny ! That makes me happy that you enjoyed this Rack music and it could inspire you! There’s really so much you can do creatively with this software in a short period of time. I’d say on average that I spend 1-2 hours per day on Rack. On some of the patches I’ve shared here, they may have taken me several hours to create, record, and share, but usually I try to finish the same day or next day so the idea doesn’t get stale. But most of the time I’m too tired and just patch random stuff to relax for a few minutes before bed. Take care, and if you ever have questions, feel free to message me. I’ve learned everything from others here in the community or just experimenting.

2 Likes

Hey Ben! I made a patch to try and recreate this issue. So, right now 8Face is set to triggers, and I’m sending a clock trigger to change Dexter presets, and the resource usage is beautiful, no issues. But then if I change the port slot mode to Seq 0…10V in the context menu and plug in that bottom BogAudio Sample & Hold output that’s sitting next to 8Face, I can see the usage for 8Face rise dramatically (On my computer its over 30%). 8Face_test.vcv (153.3 KB)

Let me know if I can help more in anyway. And I just want to say thanks for making these modules, they are really raise the bar of what we can do in Rack these days!

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it when I get home, sounds indeed like a bug…

1 Like

Thanks again for letting me know, fixed it! You can grab the latest build from my GitHub-repository or wait until v1.1.0 is available in the Library, probably in the next few days.

2 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I am still new to modular synthesis, but the music from this community inspires me to develop. Creative you success!

1 Like

@Evgeny anytime! And I wish you luck on your modular adventures!!

@stoermelder wow, that’s amazing you were able to figure this out so quickly! And I need to get better at reporting bugs when I find them to help out. If there’s anything I can do in the future let me know. I really appreciate having access to your modules.

Well its been 21 days since I’ve shared something, many experiments have come and gone, but this one took on a life of its own, required a break from school, a few whiskeys & beers, and 4 different software platforms.

All music is from 1 VCV Rack patch and is fully automated with Janniker & LEDSEQ except for three midi faders and a button. Multitrack recording into Reaper (Thanks Omri!) and then EQ’d in Ableton (where amateur hour really began trying to get rid of rogue frequencies). Video made in Touch Designer modulated by noise and a couple more midi faders while I listened to the music b/c I can’t get them to interact in a nice way on their own at this moment. More details in youtube description… Enjoy!

6 Likes

Just experimenting with making ambient pads in VCV. In this patch I make a FM synth arpeggio with 2 XFX Wave’s and then run it through Tom Erbe’s Bubbler vst through Host-FX for a kind of shimmery granular something-something. I’ve been having issues with audio dropouts lately and not sure what is going on with my video resolution, so please excuse these hiccups.

6 Likes