· ablaut · ambient soundscape recordings & patches

today i made a patch in vcv rack for the naviar haiku challenge:
http://www.naviarrecords.com/2019/04/17/naviarhaiku276-rain-soaked-wind/

the patch is driven by alan with the vactrol expansion. notes are quantized by quantum into a diminished seventh scale. two instances of basal with saturation added by ferox provide the slowly meandering melody. as usual, plateau adds lush reverb.

i processed this in reaper with some more saturation, as well as a space echo emulation and stereo widening. here is the result:

2 Likes

a new track for naviar haiku 279:
http://www.naviarrecords.com/2019/05/08/naviarhaiku279-ripples-on-water/

i used skylights alan again with its vactrol expansion, this time clocked by μgraph.
vult slap in gentle mode provides an envelope with a long attack.
distortion comes from smoke (southpole’s version of clouds) which feeds into chronoblob2 for delay. all modulated by caudal, and of course reverb by valley plateau.

post-processing and mastering in reaper.

3 Likes

my new album, including longer takes of the above two patches

free download / name your price

2 Likes

on the ambient online forums, the one sample dare has restarted, which challenges you to make a track only using the one sample provided, without any other sound source.

i used output portal, a granular vst plugin to do the initial processing on some fragments of the sample, and imported that into vcv rack, played by nysthi sussudio and processed by southpole smoke/ritardo/camilla and plateau.

this was then recorded in reaper, with another parallel processing channel with output portal, and more reverb from valhalla vintage verb. this is the result (headphones recommended):

5 Likes

Sounds fantastic ablaut! Lots of depth and atmosphere.

2 Likes

track #37 on this compilation is by yours truly, and of course made with vcv rack

7 Likes

How are you? Last time I read a post of yours you were in Shanghai or something?

i’ve been living in suzhou, a city near shanghai for the past ten years. i teach primary school there at a private bilingual k-12 school.

i’m doing okay, thanks. they are slowly easing on the containment measures now that the epidemic is on its way out. we have 9 active cases remaining in the city, and there have been no new cases for over two weeks.

yesterday i went out for the first time in almost two months. i got a haircut. i no longer look like a neanderthal! :grin:

we’re expecting the local government to make an announcement on monday about when schools are to reopen.

how are things in your neck of the woods?

8 Likes

Hey ! Happy to hear good news from you :slightly_smiling_face:. How did that CK2 playthrougth go ? I was in quarantine home the past 2 days and i remembered you used it to pass time so i tried too haha.(but i’m so bad at this game lol) In the end the person i was exposed to doesn’t have the virus so i’m free again :smile: I don’t know how the situation is going to evolve here in Paris, i just hope i can pass my uni year, i’m already redoing right now, i don’t want to lose another one. But we can just wait and see how it will go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Super nice piece btw :wink:

1 Like

I like this piece a lot! I’m glad to hear you are surviving the craziness and we’re able to go out! I think there are now 5 cases out here in and around Chicago where I live, one of which was at the hospital I work at. They made me stay home for a day b/c of a suspected patient I had contact with while they got tested, and that was scary, so I can’t imagine not going out for 2 months.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for the update. I wasn’t super worried but I was a little concerned. As for me, I’m fine. Not streaming for a while but I’ll get back to it eventually.

2 Likes

it’s a deep game that isn’t easy to master. and i’m only scratching the surface at the moment.

my first game didn’t go anywhere, because i had no clue of the mechanics. so i watched some videos and dug into the wiki. now, with console cheats, i can get somewhere but i still keep making noob mistakes. done right, it is certainly a game of patience and strategy that takes much longer to develop than i’m used to. should keep me busy for a while.

1 Like

That’s a lovely track Ben, really like it! And jeez… staying home for 2 months, that’s drastic, thank god you’ve had toys to play with.

3 Likes

something creative came out of this dark mess and being in quarantine. i made a 20’20" long dark ambient drone with two plaits and granular processing. listening in headphones is recommended.

and as free / pay-what-you-want download on bandcamp

9 Likes

Puissant… belle atmosphère :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

New genre: Quarantine music :smile:

1 Like

I like this plenty! I’d started a YT channel in 2011 for a Mars-themed dark ambient project, but lost my password after only a few uploads- the first track being Arabia Terra, so it’s never disappointing to hear other material that’s embraced a similar framework :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the first in a series of small, one-voice patches in vcv rack.

being alone, in isolation, is a reality for many of us in this time of the covid-19 pandemic. so i took this as inspiration to make some simple patches that tie in with that experience.

4 Likes

Are you in completely isolation Ben? Or are you able to get out for some fresh air and groceries once in a while? Sending you some moral support…

2 Likes