Dag2099's music video and streaming thread

What makes it british?

I think that’s just inevitable, though. It’s meant to be the overkill option.

What did you think of my tune?

its the eq with high mid and low filters. they are called british because they were on uk made mixing boards back in the day. i dont know why they are referred to in that manner but thats how the 3 eq things are usually called on stuff.

i like the tune. i dont understand the relation to those bands you talked about though.

1 Like

It’s a super enjoyable piece!

1 Like

VCP update:

Latest piece:

Starts droney gradually adds synth and drums.

2 Likes

Inspired by the conversations here about Morphing (Morphing Effects Processor module idea) and minimalism (https://community.vcvrack.com/t/ablaut-ambient-soundscape-recordings-patches/) here is a minimalist piece. With morphing.

The new Bogaudio filters came out a while ago and I wondered what I could do with the FFB if I mapped a quantussy ring to all the controls. The results were interesting (and may emerge later) but then I decided to try using Father & Sun to send different BPM LFOs to different knobs. Then, some time later, I discovered toms. I didn’t really know about them before. Toms, eh? What a drum. Anyway, time passed and I worked on it and now it’s techno or something.

Feedback is appreciated (I think it goes a bit wrong in the middle).

1 Like

More, sort of ambient, sort of minimalist, music. I mean, there is only one oscilator, that counts as minimalism right? Even if there’s a lot of noise it’s still minimalism? Surely? Anyway, here it is:

It’s more “trying to morph between 2 effects” but twice. Or something.

Like this one a lot :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with sync. The cv has been sitting there mysteriously on several VCOs without any obvious way of tell how it works. I mean, yes, you can use another VCO to set the pitch of the synced VCO but how does it do it? My research indicates that all it does is reset the waveform of the tuned VCO every time the tuning VCO rises. This seemed like an abusable process to me so here we are.

Syncer 1:

Syncer 3:

But, where is syncer 2? It wasn’t that interesting and the recording I made did not meet my (low) standards. There is a No. 4 in the works. It’s pretty buzzy but not interesting enough yet.

“Enjoy!”

Part 4 of the Syncer series:

There is a part five but, even though I like it, there are annoyoing popping sounds after I render it in Blender. This is not acceptable.

Anyway, this one is about syncing the Bogaudio XCO with their standard VCO. Why the XCO? Because it has a phase control, something that I can’t find on other oscillators. Setting the phase of your waveform actually matters a lot more when you’re syncing than it does normally. Then I started treating phase like it was pulse width and it had some really interesting effects.

Enjoy!

Also I entered VCP-53 with a groovey little number:

I’m going to leave this syncing business behind for a while and try to finish something I bit groovier.

Well, hooray! Part 6 in my series of experiments with syncing is up and out:

So what happens if you sync your oscillator with Rings? And then put stereotypical techno drums on it? Syncer: 6 is what happens. I know I said that I’d take a break from syncing but this was there and nearly finished so I thought I’d get it out.

1 Like

I keep working on and then sort of forgetting more “dancey” pieces and then making a more minimalist piece in a couple of days and getting it finished. Like this one:

I guess it’s hard to let go of something you’ve been working on for a while. Also my computer has developed s distracting squeaking noise. It’s probably a fan (annoying) or my hearing (maddening) or the sound of birds coming down my chimney (weird) but if it’s my hard disk (worrying) then I might be in trouble.

Here’s a piece you could try dancing too:

Please, if you succeeded in dancing then report back?

Anyway, the theme that developed with this jam was less reverb on synths and more on drums. I can’t tell whether it sounds good or not but I kind of dig it.

I don’t know why I wanted to finish another piece today but here it is:

It started with me following this @Omri_Cohen tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7_U4Dgln-0). I took some elements of it and it just grew from there. Sometimes I think my drones are a bit “samey” but Energy just sounds so good.

I hope you find this relaxing.

I know what you’re thinking: “Another patch less than a week after your last one! Don’t work yourself into the ground dag2099!”. I’m trying to increase the rate at which I release videos so here we are. Anyway, this is an ambient piece with phasing but, special twist, there is a bernouli gate involved. And chords. Here:

2 Likes

I was messing about with AM synthesis (an idea that I hadn’t really internalised until recently) when I came upon this sweet riff. Months later I have a finished piece:

There are some audible glitches at the end and it’s driving me a bit nuts. I really don’t know what to do about it at this point. Other than that it’s okay. really I want to be doing stuff that’s a bit more “moody” sounding but what comes out is what comes out.

1 Like

Not really my kind of music but I love the amount of structure you got in that piece :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx. It’s so long since I listened to that piece that I had to go back and listen again to know what it was. I did all those pieces so fast that I don’t really remember them.