A new rabbit hole (AI art & music)

Wow, I find it really unpleasant to try to think and focus in the middle of a bunch of other things that keep changing and shifting. It reminds me of why I hated working in a cubicle environment when I’m trying to solve a problem while a bunch of other people around me are all yakking about sports or TV.

Even for its intended purpose as a communication channel, I find Discord’s design disturbing, but that’s another topic.

Hopefully Midjourney’s owners are working on a paid option that allows being in one’s own quiet nook.

2 Likes

If you pay the $10 a month sub you get access to the Midjourney Bot Direct Message channel in Discord. I can stay on that and only see my own generated stuff, none of that craziness with everyone posting stuff all the time.

Also, the Discord App on an iPad works really well, perfect laid back relax on a sofa activity.

(actually I get charged $12 a month as they add UK VAT)

1 Like

Meanwhile have some Supermen via Vermeer, Velazquez, Blake and Degas

1 Like

Caravaggio, Cat in a Spacesuit (1604)

5 Likes

needs cat ears

I think they’re inflatable? :thinking:

1 Like

We’re at a point in time where AI adds to the already incomprehensible arsenal of creative tools in many domains. Including art. E.g. Music/Audio, Image/Video, Text.

Amazing stuff with huge potential (as ever…both benefits and risks)

Stable Diffusion “imagining” a Steam Punk style Synthesizer, simply from a short text prompt.

Anyone on Midjourney (paid sub FWIW) finding MJ taking minutes to respond sometimes to prompts?

Are you in fast mode or relaxed? I am in relaxed mode and yes sometimes a job will sit waiting for awhile before starting, it just depends on how many users are active right at that moment. If you are in fast mode I imagine there is still a contention effect, but it should be less, so I would expect that delays when in fast mode are either Discord issues or MJ bot issues (these are usually notified in the status channel).

Edit: MJ is not just pushing the frontier of AI, it is also forcing Discord to get better, there are so many users constantly interacting with the MJ discord server, they are acting as a constant load test for Discord.

I get to do maybe 3 or 4 different prompts and all runs at a fair pace and then there’ll be one image that takes maybe 2 minutes to generate. Always in fast mode.

Yeah, I think I have seen similar things, probably some emergent property of whatever throttling algorithm they use

Back to the homeless robots and cyborgs. I like “doing” those because… is this fiction from another timeline ooor a documentary from some parallel universe, recounted by an artificial intelligence so I don’t even mind the copious amount of fingers? How do you say “uncanny valley” but it’s not uncanny but quite cool? Anyways.

(Youtube goes nuts;)

3 Likes

Entwistle on bass

2 Likes

This looks like teenage engineering’s next product, it will cost €5,999 and fit in the palm of your hand

5 Likes
  • comes with a bag of naturally sourced lava stone pebbles. Design your own succulent garden!
1 Like

So of course I asked Chat GPT

> Midjourney is an AI that can create images based on a prompt it is given as a sentence. Give me such a one sentence prompt that you believe would generate fascinating images.

1 Like

This is the best one Chat GTP prompted…

I tried to prompt something controversial

the main cast of the TV sitcom “Friends” as they looked in the 1990s if they were part of a human caterpillar

but, the results were singularly underwhelming, in fact so shoddy that I suspect there’s something in the underlying AI engine that hobbles images of celebrities to make sure they can’t be sued for abusing their image rights

1 Like

Google is improving on AI Jukebox. This is pretty impressive: https://google-research.github.io/seanet/musiclm/examples/

4 Likes

Scary. Good.