A new rabbit hole (AI art & music)

Some of my better results with dall e 2. It seems to have more modular synths in the dataset. I imagine the more users put in these kind of prompts, the quicker the engineers will train the models to a wider variety of modular synth images and more specific naming of the parts. It’s still pretty crusty at putting together the complex machinery in an accurate way. It can’t make a proper piano keyboard to save its artificial life. Shallow focus and stylized graphics prompts help hide the flaws and get images that look interesting. The Actual Intelligence of a human mind can fill in the rest!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

Yes, stable diffusion is quite interesting, its not beating MidJourney for me, yet…

https://beta.dreamstudio.ai/dream

1 Like

I may be missing something in the MidJourney help text, but if I generate an image I like, then later want to use that as a seed is there a way to reference the individual image e.g. I get four results from one lookup and want to use the second result as a seed image or do I have to upscale that image first?

You cannot use images as a “seed”, or as a starting point (so called init images), at least not yet

You can use images as an alternative to, or in addition to text prompts

there are a number of ways to do this

yes you can upscale, then you would left click the image to see it in a dialog, then right click on the image and choose Copy Link.

then you can paste this link into the imagine prompt

alternatively, if you dont want to upscale first, use the envelope emoji reaction and the four images will be DM’ed to you

1 Like

ah cheers for the envelope trick

I’m getting some fun results with

vintage digital control panel, industrial, old, black and white, --beta

Adding “straight ahead” seems to help with the perspective:

vintage digital control panel, industrial, old, white, straight ahead --beta

My older “non-beta” trials were pretty cool with the same prompt:

1 Like

Is this Midjourney? The one with the segmented display is :fire:

It is! Using the new Beta engine! I’ll run a few more right now.

1 Like

Whoa, the new engine is crazy! Will investigate tomorrow :slight_smile: For now, a previous prompt but in beta.

1 Like

According to the manual the —beta modifier is deprecated so is the ‘new beta engine’ accessible with that or some other keyword(s)?

nvm, found a YT vid about it, seems it is just that beta keyword.

hmmm, I don’t seem to get 4 images, just the one, with beta

I stuck in —no people and gave me a front on portrait of a face, not a great start.

/imagine Visualize the immersive feeling of building a VCV patch.

2 Likes

You really need to follow the announcements & status channels in the MidJourney discord server, thats where most of the info comes from, the docs lag behind this somewhat.

--beta will give you 2 images if square and only 1 if not, but it only supports 3:2 or 2:3 other than square

Looks like they are turning beta off today for more tweaks, I got some amazing results with beta, its looking promising to me…

I do hope they don’t make a full switch, though. I’ve only had a few moments yesterday evening and while the Beta images look objectively better (faces!), cleaner and with more readable features, I’m afraid some quirkiness and rich textures will get lost…

edit, I just read this:

In an ideal world we would have a system that is the best of both worlds, or a slider that blends between extremes. If we can’t do this we will pick and develop two separate models and develop both. No problem.

phew :slight_smile:

I’m glad that they’re keeping the old engine along with the new one for that same reason. I started thinking that the quirks of the old engine were quite distinct and better in some contexts.

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

The new “photo” mode is producing some convincing synthesizer designs:

Here are some nice glowing lights:

4 Likes

It’s loosely related … I find it completely ghoulish.

While I find MJ’s new modes kinda boring, too dutiful and too me: “/imagine an AI devouring a kitten”, it: “Oh, I know kittens, here’s a cute one”, it sometimes…

same prompt, “a human dissolves into a modular synthesizer”, in V3:

1 Like

Fine artists have a right to complain about it, but IMO anyone related to concept art hasn’t a leg to stand on as the MidJourney prompt is essentially a concept and it’s well known people like Damien Hirst effectively subcontract making their pieces out to underpaid artists.

1 Like