A new rabbit hole (AI art & music)

Listening to these tracks I am impressed, enthusiastic, and deeply depressed.

1 Like

When it comes to AI and art, perhaps our greatest loss might be the importance of creating something special and heart-felt for others… either for good friends or anonymously for the masses. When the effort to create is effortless, it looses the essence of sacrifice that is so essential for such a meaningful gift.

The first thing I was thinking of after listening these tunes was the Kasparov vs. Deep Blue 1996 match. I don’t think that any chess player has been enjoying the game the same way ever since.

(But it’s the same with the go players and the AlphaGo versus Lee Sedol shock in 2016.)

On the other hand my son is a beginner piano player and I know that his performance brings me joy that no Billboard Hot 20 song ever brought to me.

But these changes in technology cannot be observed indifferently.

I feel the same. But you know that feeling you get when writing a song, or building a patch, or jamming any instrument, or watching someone perform. I doubt AI feels that. And I’m very much pro-AI.

2 Likes

I’m sure that everyone saw the news: Meta released their own version of MusicLM: MusicGen - a Hugging Face Space by facebook

I gave it a solid test drive by “duplicating the space” and running a bunch of tests. This was my first time duplicating a space, and I didn’t realize that I’d be charged – even when not running scripts. 24 hours or so later, my bill was around $70.

Lesson learned.

Here were my thoughts. It works! It didn’t suffer from the fade-outs that MusicLM sometimes does. You can create longer audio – which is a HUGE plus. However, in my opinion, it produced boring music. What I love about MusicLM is that it produces really imaginative music.

Maybe I’m not prompting it correctly, but this seems to be a trend when it comes to the AI “followers”. OpenAI seems way ahead of the game.

I’m really desperate for a high quality version MusicLM that can generate 4 minutes of music!!!

- B

2 Likes

Diving down the rabbit hole head first, picking up speed, bpm clock ticking, nowhere near terminal velocity yet.

I am a fully paid up, card carrying member of the MidJourney fan boi club! :nerd_face:

It is just absolutely amazing and keeps getting better and better.

The latest features are so interesting and useful, I can take a prompt that has been good for me previously, see what words in that prompt were effective.

Then I can make variations on that prompt and get awesome new images from the v5.2 model.

AND THEN, I CAN GO FULL INCEPTION just keep on using the zoom feature to pull back and outpaint around the image

██████████ gradients
████████░░ kilian eng
█████░░░░░ giger
████░░░░░░ vector
███░░░░░░░ 70s
███░░░░░░░ synthesizer
██░░░░░░░░ illustration
██░░░░░░░░ industrial

For someone who knows what they are doing in say something like After Effects, or that Nuke program, I imagine it would be quite simple to interpolate between these images to make a quite awesome video…

1 Like

Ah, now this is even more fun: Chaos Zoom

OK, thats a nice looking DOF shot of some sort of synthy/audio gear with wires…

Yep, looks like it is part of a console in a studio or something…

Arhg! The horror, its a tentacle alien working it…

And its in some sort of space station or metal basement…

Being monitored by some creepy dystopian overseers…

Ah, no, its just some funky visualisation for this cool synth…

That is being used in a free public concert on this colony world…

2 Likes

3 Likes

the guy looks like John Lennon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some imaginary new modules that I might make… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@clone45 here is some MJ inspiration for a Satanonaut sequel :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Ironically they’d sound really soft and nice but, without your knowledge, they would make you look like the face on the module.

Also you could get chatGPT to write the code for a module with that faceplate.

Oh! I just saw this now! Those are awesome!

Kirt Burdick, the comic book artist and a good friend of mine, recently came out with a new comic called “The Death of Power”. I’m super excited for him. He’s been making comics for years, and this one really took off. Maybe I’ll ask him if we can collaborate again on another module based on his comics. He’s coming out with a new one soon, which is at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kirttrik/death-of-power-2

I’ve been continually playing with midjourney to see when I can start making some amazing modules using it. Dan, I love the style you’ve made! If you wouldn’t mind, please share the prompt with me!

Here are a few of my recent experiments:

high resolution vintage VST Interface Design screen capture, Flat illustration, closeup, close up

high resolution vintage drum machine VST Interface Design screen capture, Flat gui, closeup

I’m really waiting until they have a “zoom in” feature to dive in. One nice thing is that the word “knob” is no longer banned!

2 Likes

Looks cool, I also have a friend who is creating comics and using kickstarter to fund the production: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arks/arks-issue-four

Its not so much a prompt as a whole workflow using MJs new tools… try this process:

First, choose a source image that you want to capture the style of, I am going to do this on the XFX Wave module

Now paste that image into discord (we will use the image link later)

Next use the same image in the /describe tool

Optional: Copy all four prompts into one longer prompt, remove the numbers and --ar flags, and run that through the /shorten tool

Now we construct our actual prompt, first we use the link from the original source image, then we paste in one of the text prompts generated above, then we add the flags:

• --ar 2:3 choose whatever aspect ratio you want,
  • --iw 2 to make the source image more important,
  • --c 13 I always like to add a touch of chaos,
  • optionally --stylize 500
/imagine https://s.mj.run/4_VVwdRYh7c blasmosoft hfx wave synth for kalpa 3 / x, in the style of fujifilm x100v, todd mcfarlane, foampunk, blumap xr wave synthesizer image, in the style of kimoicore, faux naïf, destructive, panfuturism, romanticist, mosscore, bl3a wave blimassoft, in the style of rtx, jamcore, avant-garde experimentation, #vfxfriday, schizowave, baroque influence, minimalist sets, free software for synthesizers, in the style of bloomcore, #vfxfriday, tonist, large-scale canvas impact, 85 new wave, m42 mount, barroco --ar 2:3 --iw 2 --c 13 --stylize 500

And the new Vary (Strong) works very well

As does the Zoom Out 2x

There is also a new experimental flag of --weird although it doesn’t seem to get too weird for synths…

--stylize 500 --weird 500

--stylize 1000 --weird 1000

--weird 1000

--weird 2000

--weird 3000

--c 50 --stylize 350 --weird 3000

--c 100 --stylize 1000 --weird 3000

OK OK! Now we are cooking…

love that coloring