Cosmo Productions Music Thread

Lately I’ve been drooling over all the videos of people jamming with the Behringer recreations of classic Roland synths: Behringer’s TD-3, RD-6, RD-9, & MS-101. Some really great sounds and inspiring jams out there. But all the gear stores are closed due to lockdown. I could order but VCV Rack has everything I need to attempt recreating these sounds. I’ve never actually owned or played any of the Roland or Behringer hardware so this is purely my digital interpretation. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Love the toms - there’s a lot going on here.

Nice! I’ve been checking out Behringer lately too! I wondered that a Neutron and Crave combo can be a perfect introduction to semi-modular hardware!

Somewhere on the forum I came across reference to the Geodesics blank easter egg. That led to discovery of Nysthi dark mode. Took a bit of inspiration from @TheHorseValse loops (and everyone else around here), and this patch is the result.

1 Like

Nice one! :slight_smile: Half 80s, half modern! What is that easter egg doing? Is it a random voltage or something?

If it’s the one I’m thinking of it’s a close encounter.

Yeah just load up the 4hp logo plate and hover/click around. You’ll figure it out. I don’t know if the sequence has changed over time with updates but right now it’s exactly 2 semitones lower than an iconic sci-fi melody. :wink: But it’s not at all noticeable in the patch I did.

Building on @steve 's ShapeMaster PsyTrance kick patch. Started out by adding some Caudal movement to the Debriatus and the patch grew from there.

I’m excited to share my first published VCV Rack 2 track. It started out this morning as a test of the new Alright Devices modules, the jam took over, and it turned into this. Thanks to everyone for bringing this incredible instrument into the world. A special thanks to Nythsi @synthi for adding the insert button into 4Hands for VCV2. It was hugely helpful on this track. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

1 Like

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted any tracks on this thread. My passion for music making in general, and modular synth specifically, has steadily progressed. Sometimes I even record my jamming but haven’t posted much. Here’s a recent recording, all hardware modular synth with some hardware FX added. Check out the patch notes in the track description to see the names of many modules we know and love in VCV, which I’m endlessly thrilled to have in my hardware rack.

1 Like

This video has been a long time coming. My first youtube video!

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Love the video! What did you use to make it?

Beautiful-Jawari and Raga in there somewhere? Is the patch available to see how you produced this wonder?

Thanks for the compliment!

The middle section is rendered from a text to animation script called Aphantasia/Illustrip3D. But the raw renders from there still need a lot of work to get them looking good. So using the VCV screen captures and Illustrip3D renders as the base elements, I composited them with all the other effects and music syncing animation in Nuke. It’s a moderately complex script. :wink:
Here are a couple screen shots of the node graph.

Thanks! Nope, no Seaside Modular in this one. I haven’t shared the patch, but it’s actually not too complex. Mainly it’s Slime Child Audio’s Substation for voices and for driving the other voices including a couple drums, an acid bass kind of thing, Ts-L (my favorite oscillator in my hardware rack), and the usual suspects, Plateau and Chronoblob2. Setup a Substation, use it to drive some other favorite voices and sonic weirdness, and magic is going to happen!

Inspired by some 80’s themed series.

2 Likes

Fractal

One Voice

First half audio is VCV Rack and second half audio is the hardware version of the patch with substitutions as necessary.

1 Like

Chorus of Saws

3 Likes

Fungi Vulture Screams

Big thanks to @veryfungi for the Vult screamer spores that this patch grew out of.

1 Like