• Vult Knock / Trummor
  • SLM The Tailor
  • mscHack Envy-9
  • Chortling Hamster Bitwise
  • Audible Modal
  • and of course VCV Scope
  • many more =)
3 Likes

Feels like I must lend my voice to the “only ten?!” chants. It’s alright though, I’ll just post those that didn’t make it in the top 10 as honorable mentions :nerd_face:

• Befaco - Rampage (so much can be done with this ramp generator)
  • Blamsoft - XFX Wave (love how you can fine-tune this oscillator)
  • Lindenberg Research - Neo (for some great sounding distortion)
  • MindMeld - MixMaster (such a complete mixer)
  • NYSTHI - Hot Tuna (tuner that does the trick for me, it’s all over my patches)
  • Orangeline - Fence (keeps them wild pitches in control)
  • pdArray - Array (quite malleable, with recording capabilities as bonus)
  • Repelzen - Re-burst (like how it works in tandem with drums)
  • Stoermelder - µMap (for modulating the unmodulatable)
  • Vult - Trummor² (just brings that required amount of oomph!)

Honorable mentions

• AS - AtNuVrTr
  • Bogaudio - S&H
  • Count Modula - Chances
  • Frozen Wasteland - BPM LFO
  • Impromptu - Clocked
  • JW - Quantizer

Thanks for this thread. Full of cool information and I found about modules I never ever used before. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

(Putting this here as seems to make sense given the subject.)

As I’m getting into hardware Eurorack one thing I wanted to find out is what modules I’ve been using the most in Rack, as that may indicate what I need to get IRL.

So, I wrote this little Python script which scans my Rack patches and burps out a CSV file with the plugin names sorted by the total number of times they appear in my patches.

It ignores plugin version numbers as I just could not be bothered doing the error checking. It’s Sunday! Gimme a break!

You’ll need to change a variable on line 28 to point to the directory containing the Rack patch files you want to scan:

# Set the directory of your VCV Rack Patches here
patches_directory = "/Users/alan/Documents/Rack/patches/"

The directory is scanned recursively so should catch all the .vcv files in subfolders.

I’ve only tested the script on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 using Python 3.8.12. It’ll probably work fine on Linux. As for Windows… who knows?!?

Use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for this messing with your files (which it won’t do anyway as the script is only set to read the patch files). But read the code first, etc.

Usage: Put the script somewhere you can run Python, edit it to point to the directory you want to scan, then run the script using this command in your terminal / IDE / magic space laser display board…

python3 vcv_rack_modules_by_count.py3

If you really want to know (you read this far?!?) my top five is:

1. Fundamental LFO (785)
  2. Core AudioInterface (477)
  3. Fundamental VCO (351)
  4. Fundamental VCA-1 (305)
  5. Fundamental ADSR (283)

Exciting!

Thanks.

P.S. Please note that the names of the plugins are taken from the metadata in the .vcv patch files, not what you might know them as in the VCV Library. As such, the names may look unfamiliar.

P.P.S. If you’re reading this in the future this script may not (and probably won’t) work with patch files created in Rack v2.x.

2 Likes

No love for VCV Audio-16?

The modules in my patch template are:

VCV: MIDI-CV, AUDIO-8 (2x), NOTES

Nysthi: 8MIX, 4MIX, Master Recorder 2, CONST ADD MULT

ML: Triggers MK1

Stoermelder: MB, GLUE, STRIP

And MB tells me the ten I most often select to put in a patch are:

VCV Scope

Bogaudio LLFO

VCV VCA

VCV Merge

ML Triggers MK1

VCV VCO-1

Count Modula S&H

Bogaudio FM-OP

Bogaudio SLEW

Alright Chronoblobs

1 Like

I always use the 8 one, out of habit. I only have a two channel audio interface anyway, so why waste the extra space?

I think the audio 16 is mostly useful if you have tons of external things you want to feed to VCV :slight_smile:

Thank you for this.

I had no idea how often I use SynthKit’s “Or” module. And seeing the number after BogAudio’s LLFO felt a bit like facing an intervention (“Damn it, Exis, can’t you see you have a problem?”).

Cool! Since the top ones are too predictable and boring, here’s my top ten from my published patches since December 2017. It will look different in a year since my usage has changed. E.g. the “VUMeterSlim” I don’t use any more:

1. Core AudioInterface (73)
  2. Valley Plateau (56)
  3. Core MIDICCToCVInterface (44)
  4. ImpromptuModular Clocked (43)
  5. Bogaudio Bogaudio-VCA (41)
  6. Bogaudio Bogaudio-Stack (38)
  7. NYSTHI VUMeterSlim (36)
  8. JW-Modules Quantizer (31)
  9. AudibleInstruments Plaits (31)
  10. AudibleInstruments Stages (30)

Entrian Sequencers Timeline is always in my top ten. I use it for basic sequencing and triggering & automation CV’s to other modules.

1 Like

Tough to choose just 10, but my go-to’s would be: (in no particular order).

1. BPM LFO
  2. Host/Host FX
  3. Dtroy
  4. Freak
  5. Slap
  6. Mixmaster (+ auxspander)
  7. Chronoblob
  8. Befaco Dual Attenuverter
  9. Ohmer RKD
  10. VCV Sequential Switch 4 >1 & 1>4

Technically 13 but who cares. There are so many useful and amazing modules. Still boggles my mind that we have as much choice from so many talented devs and most of it is free. Amazing.

I use Reaper and output to separate ReaRoute channels to pipe things into individual tracks within the DAW.

My ‘standard’ empty patch has some things I always use, which includes:

1. Stoermelder STRIP, GLUE, STROKE, 8FACE and MB
  2. Little Utils Bias/Semitone
  3. ML Octaswitch and Sum8
  4. Bogaudio S&H
  5. Count Modula Palette and FADE
  6. VCV Audio-8 and Recorder
  7. Mindmeld MixMaster and Auxspander (which I sometimes swap for the Jr)
  8. Valley Plateau
  9. Modular Fungi Lights Off
  10. Submarine TD-202

So that’s 17 modules already without any actual sound!

For the actual patching, here’s top ten most used (thanks to Stoermelder MB this is easy to recollect):

1. VCV VCA-1
  2. Instruo 0chd
  3. Bogaudio LLFO
  4. Alright devices Chronoblob2
  5. Count Modula Clock Divider
  6. Count Modula Single Bernouilli Gate
  7. Bogaudio ASR
  8. Vult Basal
  9. Vult Unstable
  10. Bogaudio WALK

The Impromptu CLOCKED, which appears in nearly every patch, is 14th or so. I reckon I should move that to my standard patch.

4 Likes

… if I let Stoermelder’s MB pick the Most Used ones (so obvs not counting what’s in my template rack)

1 Like

how does 2 audio 8s work? i thought vcv only supported 1 interface ATM?

I use one for audio out, and another for my microphone in, which are two different devices/drivers. I dunno, it works

if i have to pick 10:entrian timeline, plaits/rings/clouds, impromptu clocked, count modula chances, mr chainkov, stoermelder strip, chronoblob, and bogaudio walk. other ones i like using are bogaudio offset,my own plurm randomchordrecorder, vult slap (which is probably my most used module), oxidlab entferner, bogaudio vcf, plateau, and nsythi scala quantizer

2 Likes