XOR Electronics - Nerdseq

I am aware of that, it can be hacked using midi CC since is pretty easy

as side note, the polyend Tracker can send FX command

I’m just curious, so I would like to see how do you replace the following FX commands with MIDI CC without introducing extra lines through the use of phrases:

• Axy - arpeggio
  • Uxx / Dxx - slide up / down
  • Gxx - glide
  • Vxy - vibrato
  • Ixx / Oxx - fade in / out
  • Txy - tremolo

That’s an extra piece of hardware. The initial question was:

For me, the only solution to this question is to build a VCV module that works like tracker. Everything else implies the use of external hardware or another DAW.

it require extra modules in the rack and the use of CC as CV to enable disable

the easiest glide, cv to slew limiter, fade in out , cv to a VCA , Adding a LFO to the VOct and/or the amplitude using the CC as factor to tremolo and vibrato and so on , for other require ratchets , chord generators etc, let me know if you cant figure how to build them and I could help

thats the reason I wrote “as side note”

Answering the initial question

I m not sure , but I think the nerdseq Cant send something as FX command , seems like this send , triggers and CV (is this a sampler too?)

My intention is to buld a module that provides all that extra stuff a tracker can do (see the list above as a minimum) without the need of additional modules like slew limiters etc.

NerdSEQ ist a tracker, a sampler, a synth, and of course it can send out CV signals that are generated by tracker FX commands. Here’s the actual NerdSEQ manual: https://xor-electronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/nerdseq_manual_1_24_1.pdf

Last year I created a module called Fun With Frames to utilize Regen Modular Frames. Don’t expect too much from this module because Regen Modular Frames doesn’t provide FX commands except legato.

I’m actually working on a module I will call Tracker. It will not be a clone of NerdSEQ because I’m more familiar with GoatTracker.

But there’s nothing wrong with using Renoise or OpenMPT as a DAW sending MIDI signals to VCV :sunglasses:

1 Like

the thing with with the FX commands is there is not standard for it , the FX commad is translated to modulation , CC or CV, also there is not a module that could receive and understand FX command , my advice , if you interested, forget the FX command as a concept separated of voltage modulation

Now I think I begin to understand your explanations above. Here’s my detailed view:

A tracker should provide the following CV outputs per mono track:

• pitch
  • gate

and aditional:

• volume
  • panning
  • pulse-with modulation
  • filter modulation

The FX commands inside the tracker are the producers of these CV values.

An example:

A glide command, e.g. from C#4 to D-4, should let the Pitch output of the tracker module smoothly transition from -0.9167 Volts to -0.8333 Volts. There should not be any need for an additional slew limiter module.

1 Like

it is not what a slew limiter do?

however , I would love to see your approach of a tracker!

Here’s a short video about making a glide effect using a slew limiter.

you got it

Strange, it seems I forgot this little detail.

to me the ideal tracker for vcv would be polyphonic and also have an easy way to sequence patterns, i enjoy regen frames, particularly with the multiple effect rows, but unfortunately doesn’t have this feature yet. to me something like openmpt would be ideal for that. i tried sending midi into vcv from renoise before, and while it sorta worked, it was pretty jank.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m currently working on.

5 Likes

just for the record: migrating to Rack V2 interrupted my work on the tracker module … now it’s time to continue

2 Likes

That’s exciting! I’ve been playing around with Regen’s Frames, trying to use switches to parse the four CVs in a way that can emulate the various note effects, and it’s a lot of work.

Nysthi Musicalbox is handy as a sampler, since it allows for CV-controlled switching between samples (provided they’re in the same directory) as well as sample offset and playback position.

I haven’t tackled arpeggios yet, so I haven’t looked into your expander. It’s there a manual or readme for it?

I made a short video so far:

1 Like

Hi @Ahornberg ! Any updates on the development of your tracker module?

Actually no. Otherwise I would have posted something about it. I’m sorry.

I know that writing Seq++ took me FOREVER. It was at least 10X the amount of code. Hundreds of unit tests. So many details, so many operations to undo/redo, so many weird edge cases of note formations, so many features. I suspect Nerdseq would also be a ton of effort?

1 Like

That’s true.

1 Like