XOR Electronics - Nerdseq

Yes I know, and that’s the reason I want to avoid this kind of setup by making a tracker with its tracks aligned horizontally.

why not collab with the Regen devs and make a bigger better version of Frames?

I tried that but with no response until now.

well then i look forward to seeing what you do to improve upon Frames or come up with an all new tracker. i have been interested in Frames but im not interested in the other modules in their plugin. i’d gladly pay for a tracker in Rack that performs like Nerdseq or Protracker/Octamed.

my “Seq++” isn’t a “tracker”, but it’s modeled on an MSDOS midi sequencer that predates them. It’s free.

i definitely appreciate all your work. been using the new compressor a lot. i just like trackers. in addition to Renoise i still use an Amiga with Protracker so i’d love to see something like Nerdseq as a plugin for Rack. maybe you could work with @Ahornberg and develop something.

1 Like

oh, that’s cool. trackers aren’t really my thing, but I’m sure someone will make some nice ones.

you named 3 trackers with 3 different concepts of using the time-table:

• most simple time-table: Protracker (and openMPT) use one pattern for all tracks
  • moderate complexity: Renoise (and FamiTracker) use one pattern for each track and all patterns played at the same time must have the same length
  • high complexity: NerdSeq (also LSDJ and Goattracker) use one pattern for each track, and the pattern-length can be different for each track, so tracks can run independently (like the session-view in Ableton Live)

I would prefer the first or the second approach, because I like to compose music in a classic way (from the beginning of a piece to the end).

I would code a tracker with 4-tracks and the ability to chain more trackers to get more simultaneous tracks (8, 12, 16).

The module will start out simple by providing gate and pitch output for each track. The functionality (CV-outs for controlling whatever you like) will increase over time.

And the most important part: Personally I need a sequencer for making microtonal music, so the ability to load tuning files and to use custom note names and to use up to 4096 different pitches is essential for me (in contrast, MIDI-note-messages provide ‘only’ 128 different pitches, never ever enough for a nerdy microtonalist).

1 Like

i’d be more than happy with something like that. i hope to see something along those lines from you in the future.

I made a module named ‘Fun with Frames’. It requires ‘Regen Modular Frames’. You can use it to build a time-table with one Frames-module to drive up to 4 tracks using patterns suited in 4 additional Frames-modules.

2 Likes

yes im aware of that. im partial to the free KautenjaDSP plugin for chipsound oscillators so i dont really want to buy the Regen plugin thats why im hoping for another tracker to show up in the library.

i’d love to see something like 8bitbubsy’s protracker emulation as a module in Rack with the ability to also be able to load samples prepared in Echolevels “Amigapal”.

I’m sorry, I’m emphasing on a tracker that supports microtonality, and I only plan to provide CV-out-ports, no audio-out-ports. For dealing with samples, there are already lots of amazing (and free) sampler modules.

If you are on Windows, maybe openMPT will help you, because it’s compatible to Protracker,

im a mac user. and i believe i have most of the samplers in the library. i dont think any of them focus on emulating lofi samplers with the exception of the music thing modular port. not a big deal. what im really after is the amiga “paula” chip sound offered as a plugin with the ability to play amiga sample files. probably never going to happen but figured throwing the idea out there in the ether cant hurt.

Sorry, that’s out of my scope. Maybe this file https://bel.fi/alankila/modguide/interpolate.txt may help more experienced coders to develop an emulation of this chip.

I took a closer on XOR NerdSeq. This is a vastly complex and feature-rich sequencer/tracker. And it is also a digital synth and a sample player. It can generate MIDI and CV.

From my perspective, porting NerdSeq to VCV is not what I want to do. Firstly because we already have digital VCOs/synths and sample players as modules in the Rack.

On the other hand, generating MIDI data is what DAWs were originally are made for, and they do this job very well.

And personally, I’m a microtonalist and NerdSeq doesn’t satisfy my needs here (custom note names, etc.).

I’m planning a tracker-style sequencer but I’m not sure which platform/interface I should target. There is VCV, there is VST (as a plugin or as a host for VSTs) …

a virtual NerdSeq would be great but i think something less complex like Protracker would be a better candidate for Rack. as far as a vst format tracker im not quite sure the market is there since people who want to use a modern DAW tracker tend to use Renoise which is going to be hard to beat.

either way im looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Renoise Redux be a good alternative?

I searched the board, but it seems no one is really using the combination VCV Rack/Renoise Redux (via VCV Host)…

Redux doesn’t have MIDI out.

I use Redux , it is not a sequencer itself, is a Reason instrument (which is a very modular approach for a sampler) with a tracker (is like an extended version of an arpeggiator)

why not use renoise beside the rack? renoise have midi out and is very light weight

By using MIDI-out you can’t use all the FX Commands like:

• Axy - arpeggio
  • Uxx / Dxx - slide up / down
  • Gxx - glide
  • Vxy - vibrato
  • Ixx / Oxx - fade in / out
  • Txy - tremolo

I tried to recreate these commands using MIDI CC messages and I struggled :cold_face:

And that’s why I want a tracker inside the Rack.

1 Like